The MT-07 Forum

Ducati Scrambler

manuel

just revealed:

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/intermot-2014-ducati-scrambler-revealed/25645.html

Now, a number of questions pop:
- what is the advantage of having an 18" wheel up front?
- would this be a bike that can be ridden later into the fall, earlier in the spring - potentially stretching our riding season - fellow northerners, what do you think (air cooled engine, we have plenty of cool air up here)?
- bigger engine, yet the same power and torque figures like our FZ-07? Completely different engine config, maybe that explains it...

I like the retro touches (tank shape, seat layout), cast aluminum swing-arm and the general feel of greater versatility....what do you guys think?

Edit: it looks like it comes in more than one version. Sweet. That Full Throttle version is my favorite!

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ducati-scrambler-ridersoff-roadershipsters/#more-70905

Not too bad, though I still prefer the styling of the FZ-07 over the "retro" cues of the scrambler. And commuting in GA on an air cooled bike isn't that desireable.

mt0Ni0r.jpgr3y9Joz.jpgDucati is in the game with a naked air-cooled 803cc V-twin priced from $8500 to $10,000...that's right the cast wheels add $1500 to the price.
Great pipes, eh?

My favorite is the Full Throttle (that Termignoni exhaust is nice). At least they came up with something cool, unlike Suzuki. Price/value is another issue - were they ever a "value-oriented" manufacturer?2015-Ducati-Scrambler-Full-Throttle-10.jpg

Its hard to compare value and style. By making five distinct models they show how to ignite desire. Yamaha offers three colors, Suzuki offers black out and their old standard blue and white. Having once owned a 1992 900SS I can tell you there is nothing wrong with the air cooled twin. 25 years later Ducati still can make it fresh. Its not the bike that suffers heat, its the rider.

...oh, and I found the reason behind a larger front wheel - rolling over objects as opposed to ploughing into them. Off-road credentials :) ? Maybe just gravel (tires seem to be up for the task), as the suspension does not seem to have enough travel. Good stuff, nonetheless - lots of streets in my area don't deserve that title so this little guy might deal with them easier.

• Global Moderator

I like it especially the Classic, but still prefer the 07. Maybe I am getting retro tired. Not a fan of the rear fender set up of the other models.
I am afraid this bike is going to be another trendy hipster gadget and won't be used as an actual motorcycle.

• Global Moderator

That rear fender is just wierd. It makes sense on a single swing arm machine, but as this is not why would they do that?

I like it especially the Classic, but still prefer the 07. Maybe I am getting retro tired. Not a fan of the rear fender set up of the other models. I am afraid this bike is going to be another trendy hipster gadget and won't be used as an actual motorcycle.

The 07 is special and this will not take its place :)
For sure it will be a hipster gadget (I think it's part of its marketing message), but I still see some pieces of value there: that engine is supposedly pretty good, the suspension is at least decent, the analogue bit (I have to mention it! :) ), good multipurpose tires, nice brakes with ABS, relative light weight and so on. A test ride and/or reviews are still in order before the final verdict, but it's a fresh idea. Not bad. 

I think the scrambler is a beautiful motorcycle (all variations). I'm tempted to bet that the 07 would be quicker (acceleration and top speed), more fuel efficient (also runs on 87), require less maintenance and more reliable though. I suppose that's not necessarily a concern when someone buys a Ducati though. Having said that, the scrambler looks super comfy. I have read that Ducati has increased the time between valve inspections - although I don't know to what, and this is probably on their new line of liquid cooled mills..I also think I read somewhere that valve inspections happen at INCREASINGLY regular intervals (i.e., first one at 7k miles, then ever 5k thereon, for example). I'm not sure about that though.

Super cool bikes and would probably really enjoy owning one.

- just checked this out on the Ducati forum - looks like 796 maintenance isn't really that much more expensive than other bikes near that performance level (latest Yamahas aside). Looks like valves at 7500k intervals on those air-cooled motors.

• 4 weeks later...

I love it !!!! Having owned a Monster in the past the fit finish on it was great, even as a "cheaper" bike the suspension was pretty good and the brakes were sweet. The sound of a Ducati air cooled twin with the right exhaust is still my favorite sound. While the motor is engineered to handle heat (being air cooled) I as a rider am not. There were times I was riding in summer months and I actually felt like I was riding an oven ...no thanks .....Love the styling think it is a great looking machine ...and the one thing I think is so cool is manufactures are starting to put the fun back into motorcycling it isn't always about what has the most horsepower.

I like it, but the marketing turned me off.
I am one of those people that want to punch the Kindle Fire Phone Kid's Parent in the face for allowing a 9 year to be a hipster D-Bag on TV.

• 1 month later...

I sat on one today. Looks good in person, but from the riders seat it felt a bit too slim/toyish for my likes. A good bike for the right person, but not my cup of tea. I would prefer monster 696/796 over it.

I cannot afford 7,500 mile valve intervals and 15,000 mile belt replacements at Ducati service prices. I will therefore just like looking at this bike.

Completely disable the abs, give it 10 more HP and it'd be an incredible ride. It has gotten great reviews so far. I almost decided to put a deposit down on one instead of my FZ. But I just couldn't wait until April. Glad I chose the FZ anyhow. I'm not hipster material.

'15 FZ-07
'93 Honda XR650L (supermoto/pig) (SOLD)

Also, the 2 valve air cooled duc's are slightly excluded from the "maintenance queen" category iirc. Its the 4 valvers that get ugly. Don't buy a race car for the street if you want comfort and reliability.

'15 FZ-07
'93 Honda XR650L (supermoto/pig) (SOLD)

• 3 weeks later...

Those are the two bikes I am looking into switching form my Daytona 675.I sat on both at the NY IMS show. Both feel very light and relatively small.The FZ-07 has gotten only rave reviews. The Ducati's verdict is still out. I like the looks of the Ducati and likely will like the sound (I had a Monster 696 before for 4 years). Hard decision as these bikes are different...

Archived