The MT-07 Forum

Cockpit remote control

stev74

Hi Guys!

Beside developing a own cockpit for the FZ-07 (with analog gauges) I just finished a smaller (side-)project for a remote control for my future and also for the original cockpit.

They are made from casted resin and especially made to fit under the FZ-07 / MT-07 handlebar control. It is mounted with 3 screws and needs only 9mm space between control and mirror.

Bedienteil_MT07_MG_6372_small.thumb.jpg.f753d0a16170e87e78bc6b9ed485d06e.jpgBedienteil_MT07_MG_6363_small.thumb.jpg.f91d5d82e4cf7a0d75bdad57cbea60f4.jpg
Bedienteil_MT07_MG_6371_small.thumb.jpg.d0f8f51aeec1a34742cd8e8b1aa7ef19.jpg

The best way (in my opinion) to connect it to the original cockpit is through the original connector. There are several unused pins. So everything goes through the connector.

If someone is interested I will post some pics how to make it. It's quite easy.

Because of my own cockpit project I had to figure out all pin-connections anyway ( and also all important CAN-Bus messages).

Thx guys and keep on rollin :)

Stefan

thank you!
I think I will post a own thread a bit later for the cockpit. It was and is such a big project but most of it is done and I'm driving already with a prototype to test everything.
Here a pic out from the computer and one from my work-in-progress prototype.

Here also a video from my first cockpit I've build... for my old XTZ750. (sorry it's in german)

DesignV4_0_small.jpg

IMAG0376.jpg

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, stev74 said:

thank you!
I think I will post a own thread a bit later for the cockpit. It was and is such a big project but most of it is done and I'm driving already with a prototype to test everything.

Here also a video from my first cockpit I've build... for my old XTZ750. (sorry it's in german)

DesignV4_0_small.jpg

IMAG0376.jpg

Very impressive work. A lot of us here myself included have wanted  to use analogue gauges but dont know how to go about it. Really excited to see this implemented and for your "how to"

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Nice work and I like the remote. But the shown position for the gauges suffers from the same problem as the original , in that it is too close to the rider and is too far off the line of sight axis. The stock one requires a very large displacement of vision AND a huge refocus ( the latter I have substantial trouble with when wearing my distance glasses.). Moving the instruments furthur forward was one of the first things I did to the bike.

If you trawl the site, you will find a large number of people have moved the instrument panel furthur forward for the previous reasons. It might be worth looking at making it so it can have an alternate mounting furthur forward stock ( and associated lengthening of the remote cable . If indeed it uses a cable and isn't a bluetooth control. I can't make that out from the photos).

Great work though and I like the conversion as analogue instruments don't require direct vison to interperate,as you can get information from position with your peripheral vision.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

thx gregjet!!!. I agree the cockpit is too close and I don't like that too. Maybe I will try to move it forward. I know there exists some aftermarket parts for mounting it on the light. That should also work with my cockpit. But the bike is from my wife. :)
The cockpit has bluetooth for other features (like a build in fm radio.... streamed via bluetooth)  but its connected like the original. All the necessary data comes throught the cables.
There is no doubt from the readability there is nothing better than analogue instruments.

4 hours ago, stev74 said:

thank you!

That's very impressive work!

I used to build digital clusters and infotainment systems on the QNX CAR platform (most of the one's you see on the site / from CES trade shows for the last 5 years were my team's) but never any of the low level integrations with the ECU / CANBUS. I'm constantly thinking of building new ones but lately I've shifted to trying to get a decent HUD to work. It's not easy.

I'll definitely follow your project!

The Wulf.

I am a big fan of HUD's. People make some ridiculous claims about them, but they put them into fighter jets for a very good reason. They allow all your info in the one spot including the view.

A HUD for a helmet that transfers between helmets would be perfect. Bluetooth tx between bikes and helmet.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

Great work stev74, I really like the analogue gauges your using, like it has been said by others before me the whole cluster would be better off being moved forward and down, but hey!! I'm sure you could do that too. I will be keeping an eye on this to see what direction it goes in the future.

thank you guys!
I did a video today how I would connect external switches to the MT-07 cockpit. Maybe its helpful for someone.

27 minutes ago, stev74 said:

thank you guys!
I did a video today how I would connect external switches to the MT-07 cockpit. Maybe its helpful for someone.

Thanks a lot, Sten74

I was thinking on doing the same and your video very helpful. I still have some questions:

• Do the cables from the test points to the connector already exist or have you soldered them on two unused connector pins?
  • I can't see the reason for the diodes. You are installing two switches in parallel to the meters ones. In the worst case both switches will be pressed at the same time connecting the same point to the same earth. Am I wrong?
  • Finally and not related. You told me that your alternate meters had the same connectors. Where did you get them?

Thanks a lot for your job.

12 hours ago, msesma said:

Thanks a lot, Sten74

I was thinking on doing the same and your video very helpful. I still have some questions:

• Do the cables from the test points to the connector already exist or have you soldered them on two unused connector pins?
  • I can't see the reason for the diodes. You are installing two switches in parallel to the meters ones. In the worst case both switches will be pressed at the same time connecting the same point to the same earth. Am I wrong?
  • Finally and not related. You told me that your alternate meters had the same connectors. Where did you get them?

Thanks a lot for your job.

Hi Msesma!
Thank you too!

The cables don't exist.
You are absolutely right with the diodes. You can make it without them too. Its just a protection if you accidently touching 12V somewhere during soldering your external switches. If you are careful you don't need it.

I'm not sure if I understand the last question correct. Do you mean where to get this small socket pins for the original connector? (you can get it here --> https://www.digikey.at/product-detail/de/jae-electronics/M34S75C4F1/670-2268-1-ND/2044290 )

• Premium Member

If I missed it, sorry; but, what are the two new (added) button meant to control?  Thanks.

10 hours ago, msesma said:

Thanks, I'm refering to where did you get an alternate meter that are compatible with the stock connector.

Its all self-made.

6 hours ago, avanti said:

If I missed it, sorry; but, what are the two new (added) button meant to control?  Thanks.

switching on the turbo or a passenger eject. whatever you want ...in my case it's just to control the cockpit from the handlebar.
:)

• Premium Member

Wow...self made, nice. Now I'm sad. If you ever happen to produce more....

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Wow again.

Your two projects are something I have just come across on this forum.

Excellent, excellent work.

I want one of those analog clusters - consider a small run after you're debugged. I'm sure you will have many who are interested.

Cheers

LSL Motorradtechnik GmbH in Krefeld, Germany also sells a kit for the MT07/FZ07 (can be special-ordered without the X-bar (fatbat) clamps):

http://www.lsl.eu/php/index.php?l=en#artikelnummer.php?artikelnummer=127Y134

Available in North America from Spiegler USA (listed as a fatbar clamp but the kit includes an instrument relocator braket and cover/shield):

https://spieglerusa.com/yamaha-fz-07-x-bar-clamps.htm

LSL_127Y134-SW.jpg

I was tortured by the Japanese during the war, Jack. Not a pretty story. Strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras.

• 4 weeks later...

After switching to airbrush I experimented a bit with colors. One german guy wanted that I color it for him in blue that it fits to his Tracer700.
Hope he will send me pics. Will be interesting how it looks.

Here is black matt, black metallic, and a blue-mixture. :)

Fernbedienung_SchwarzMatt_small.jpg

Fernbedienung_SchwarzMetallic_small.jpg

Fernbedienung_BlauMatt_small.jpg

Archived