The MT-07 Forum

What aftermarket seat do you use?

pma

My FZ07 has always been a work commuter, usually 20 - 40 miles round trip a day. I thought it would be a good idea to take it on a longer trip (120 mi.) today, and I'm currently regretting that decision. The stock seat is now my mortal enemy, and I intend to set it on fire once I've replaced it. I've gotten a lot of good info from our community, and I really want to know what aftermarket seats you all are using and your opinions of them.

The Corbin seat seems to be the best option, with the premium price tag to go with it.

The Yamaha Comfort seat seems to be runner up at about half the price.

I am still deciding if I bite the bullet for a Corbin or not... no long drives yet but even an hour on the stock seat is uncomfortable.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2017 at 4:06 PM, TheWulf said:

The Corbin seat seems to be the best option, with the premium price tag to go with it.

The Yamaha Comfort seat seems to be runner up at about half the price.

I am still deciding if I bite the bullet for a Corbin or not... no long drives yet but even an hour on the stock seat is uncomfortable.

I'm leaning towards the Corbin too. I don't mind paying a premium if the product is truly top shelf. The ability to customize it down to the color of the stitching is an absolute plus.

My Ass and a bicycle set of shorts

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Global Moderator

I have the Seat Concepts seat and have been happy with it.  I am not a fan of the look of the Corbin, but have heard that it is comfortable after it breaks in.  

I am a very big Seat Concepts fan. Had them on a few bikes now and they are always a substantial  upgrade. Very tough seat covers. They will outlast the stock soft thin vinyl by quite a margin.

Seat Concepts are a "sort of"  DIY. The cover and foam are made complete, but you have to remove the old one and refit the new pieces. You really need an industrial stapler to do a good job ( I use an air stapler). Most local upolsterers will fit them for a small price and do a better job if you are unskilled in that area.

rilimited has a good point though. When I do really big rides I wear a proper set of padded bike knicks under you motorcycle gear, Makes a huge difference. Remember they are designed to work on seats with NO padding. They can make it a big harder to get off the side without some slip if aggressively riding , but you don't tend to do that on really long rides anyway.

• Like 2

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

2 hours ago, gregjet said:

I am a very big Seat Concepts fan. Had them on a few bikes now and they are always a substantial  upgrade. Very tough seat covers. They will outlast the stock soft thin vinyl by quite a margin.

Seat Concepts are a "sort of"  DIY. The cover and foam are made complete, but you have to remove the old one and refit the new pieces. You really need an industrial stapler to do a good job ( I use an air stapler). Most local upolsterers will fit them for a small price and do a better job if you are unskilled in that area.

rilimited has a good point though. When I do really big rides I wear a proper set of padded bike knicks under you motorcycle gear, Makes a huge difference. Remember they are designed to work on seats with NO padding. They can make it a big harder to get off the side without some slip if aggressively riding , but you don't tend to do that on really long rides anyway.

Where does it rate on the difficulty scale mate?

I'm tempted on one if it's not insanely difficult to do.

• Like 1

IF you have a quality stapler and are careful, it was pretty easy. Way easier than the Husky tr650 one I did last. But you need to be careful and follow the instructions. Some good Youtube vides and is way easier if you have a second person to hold stuff.

NOTE I haven't found a hand powered stapler that will drive wide enough staples ( try and use the widest you can). I use an air stapler. It was cheaper than a hand driven one ( the compressor wasn't of course).

A suitable hand driven one MUST exist, but not where I live.

Edited by gregjet
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

You don't need to do the seat yourself, right? You can mail in your OEM seat, have Seat Concepts do the install, and mail it back. 

I was lucky enough to live driving distance away. Drove over and had them install the seat for me. Was in an out within the hour. 

Now that I've had it for a while, my only gripe is the shape. I feel it slopes me forward into the tank and when I want to sit back more, there's a hard rim instead a smooth transition. That being said, wouldn't say I would go back to OEM. 

• Like 1

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

No idea about getting them to instal. I live on another continent on the other side of the world , so wasn't really an option I investigated.

Edited by gregjet

3 hours ago, gregjet said:

No idea about getting them to instal. I live on another continent on the other side of the world , so wasn't really an option I investigated.

Same... I think we're both Aussies? So yeah, has to be DIY.

Yeah I am in Qld ( Bundaberg). Friends have had local upolsterers do them for not much.

• Thanks 1

Another vote for the Seat Concepts seat. The gripper top surface actually holds me in the seat so I don't slide forward every time I brake. I've done a couple 200+ mile trips on it and it never got TOO uncomfortable.

I ran into the same issue when I looked to install it, no proper hand staplers. I didn't want to go out and buy a compressor, so I found a local guy who did motorcycle upholstery and he did it for about $50. 

Plus I like the way it looks on the bike!

rsz_20170808_121440.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After some thoughtful consideration, I've decided to order the Yamaha Comfort Seat. I should have it by this time next week. Hopefully it will be a worthwhile improvement. I couldn't justify spending $160 for a DIY kit for one seat from Seat Concepts after I found a new Comfort Seat combo on ebay for $217.

Bagster specifically the READY SPECIAL in matching colours for my bike with Gel.

Used a re-seller to ship to Australia from France. Amazingly fast, great website to deal with:

https://www.silverstonemotor.com/bagster-yamaha-mt07-mt-07-2014-motorcycle-confort-ready-special-saddle,us,4,BAGST-Selle-SPE-MT07-14.cfm

Edited by michael
  • Confused 1

digitalsteve
13 minutes ago, michael said:

Bagster specifically the READY SPECIAL in matching colours for my bike with Gel.

Used a re-seller to ship to Australia from France. Amazingly fast, great website to deal with:

https://www.silverstonemotor.com/bagster-yamaha-mt07-mt-07-2014-motorcycle-confort-ready-special-saddle,us,4,BAGST-Selle-SPE-MT07-14.cfm

That's well in excess of $500AUD.... jesus!!

For gad sake just buy a freaking pair of padded bike shorts

Why back in the day we were lucky o have a seat with a carpet on it

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

5 minutes ago, digitalsteve said:

That's well in excess of $500AUD.... jesus!!

Good things unfortunately cost money. But in contrast to the Yamaha comfort option which is like $360-80 aud from memory this is worlds apart.

lol R1. I've ridden my fair share of dirt bikes with crappy seats some with lack of seats. But the simpler things in life like a comfy seat and enjoying getting back on the bike after a long ride is worth it to me. 

Edited by michael
  • Like 2

If I wanted to ride a couch I would buy a harley

4 hours ago, r1limited said:

For gad sake just buy a freaking pair of padded bike shorts

Why back in the day we were lucky o have a seat with a carpet on it

I have all kinds of padded bike kits for all kinds of weather when I'm cycling. I'm just not interested in wearing them all day at work. They're not very convenient when you gotta take a whiz. 

• Like 1

I have no issues with cycling pants p or not, I find moving my arse around is best :)

I went with the Yamaha comfort seat and can report after about 500 miles, it gets better and better, and the price was right for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevebtx12 said:

I went with the Yamaha comfort seat and can report after about 500 miles, it gets better and better, and the price was right for me.

Just got mine last night. My first impression after my 10 mile commute this morning is more than favorable. Biggest improvement is that I'm not sliding around anymore.

• Like 1