The MT-07 Forum

Let's talk tires

rocky1247

• Premium Member
On 9/25/2017 at 12:20 PM, msPJFZ1 said:

Dunlop Q3 - excellent street/moderate track tire. Thick carcass. Has a very solid feel. Sticky , longevity = medium

I just finished off my Dunlop Q3+ rear, it wasn't bad I just wasn't comfortable giving it the treatment I gave it previously. I can say it's the best tyre I've had on my FZ, previously it was Pirelli Angel ST's, stock Michelin PR3's before that. I got 3,600 miles out of the rear, shortest life of all tyres I had on this bike so far, but, they were the best mile's and I wasn't easy on them. The front is fine, so I replaced the rear with another Dunlop Q3+. I went for a quick rip today on a road I frequent, and Holy Crap what a difference a new rear tyre makes, jebus, the fall-in, transitioning from side-side, the result was remarkable compared to what I had gotten used to. All I have to do now is find time to install the STX-46 shock and woodcraft rearsets. I'm sure I'll be happy when I do, which in turn means the front needs money pumped into it, (cartridge's) Hmm, Looking forward to the next run out.

35 minutes ago, fzar said:

I just finished off my Dunlop Q3+ rear, it wasn't bad I just wasn't comfortable giving it the treatment I gave it previously. I can say it's the best tyre I've had on my FZ, previously it was Pirelli Angel ST's, stock Michelin PR3's before that. I got 3,600 miles out of the rear, shortest life of all tyres I had on this bike so far, but, they were the best mile's and I wasn't easy on them. The front is fine, so I replaced the rear with another Dunlop Q3+. I went for a quick rip today on a road I frequent, and Holy Crap what a difference a new rear tyre makes, jebus, the fall-in, transitioning from side-side, the result was remarkable compared to what I had gotten used to. All I have to do now is find time to install the STX-46 shock and woodcraft rearsets. I'm sure I'll be happy when I do, which in turn means the front needs money pumped into it, (cartridge's) Hmm, Looking forward to the next run out.

That’s pretty much the same set up that I am running. Q3+, Ohlins Stx-46, Sato Rearsets and DDC’s up front. Just put the Dunlop’s on but like them a lot so far in the dry. Got caught in the rain last weekend and they were a bit scetchy but I rarely ride in the rain. 

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, 1tondriver said:

That’s pretty much the same set up that I am running. Q3+, Ohlins Stx-46, Sato Rearsets and DDC’s up front. Just put the Dunlop’s on but like them a lot so far in the dry. Got caught in the rain last weekend and they were a bit scetchy but I rarely ride in the rain. 

How do you like the STX46? I haven't installed mine yet, I received it 2 weeks ago from @cornerslider  but I had to leave the country abruptly to look after a family situation. I'm thinking what to do with the front, how are the DDC's? I haven't run  the Q3+ in the rain, but I did in damp patch situations and they were fine, I like them @1tondriver 

1 hour ago, fzar said:

How do you like the STX46? I haven't installed mine yet, I received it 2 weeks ago from @cornerslider  but I had to leave the country abruptly to look after a family situation. I'm thinking what to do with the front, how are the DDC's? I haven't run  the Q3+ in the rain, but I did in damp patch situations and they were fine, I like them @1tondriver 

I am happy with the STX. It was the logical choice for me as I am mainly on the road (crappy Michigan roads) 95% of the time. Handles the bumps well and is a vast improvement over the throw away stocker. 

The DDC’s are working great. I tried the heavier oil before these and the difference is night and day for the better. If you are not tracking the bike a lot I highly recommend. No more nose dive and actually absorbs the bumps well. 

I only have about 200 miles on the Q3+’s and 3/4 of those have been in the rain unfortunately. I am a fair weather rider that got caught last weekend. I think with them being new it didn’t help. I had the rear step out a couple of times and the pucker factor was high. In the dry they are fantastic. I need to get some more miles on them. 

Overall I am very content with the current set up. 

I just got my bike inspected with 11000+ miles and stock Dunlops passed....just saying.

My brother gave me a free rear because it was so stiff he couldn't get it mounted 😫