The MT-07 Forum

CarGuy7a

As the title says I built a custom exhaust. My stock exhaust has been sitting here staring me in the face screaming "make something out of me" so I did. I ordered a cheap ebay chinese muffler copy of an Akrapovic just for S&G's to see what I could do with that stock exhaust. I ordered the short version of this pipe if anyone is curious it is 310mm in total length. I cut the headers loose from the stock exhaust and started measuring. The outside diameter of the stock headers were 1.380in so I needed to find a piece of tubing with an ID a little larger than that measurement. I found some 304 seamless stainless tubing on an online metal shop (no one around my area carries that particular type of tubing) that had an ID of 1.402in, perfect for sliding over the headers to make a Y pipe out of. I also ordered a length of pipe with a 2in OD for the midpipe to slip into the muffler which has an ID of 51mm or 2in. Got out a cutting board and some paper to lay out the angles of the Y pipe I was going to create to make the cutting process easier. After cutting and fitting I took the pieces to work and TIG welded them together while purging the inside of the tubing with argon to keep the penetration nice and tidy. The results came out fantastic. It is definitely alot louder than my Akra Titanium system and for a cheap ebay muffler, it actually has a tuneable DB killer (awesome). There is a small circular plate at the end of the DB cone that can be removed with one screw to open the db killer up just a tad. Now compared to my Akra Titanium on the butt dyno, it doesn't pull quite as hard as the Akra Ti but then again were talking a $900 vs sub $200 total cost exhaust here but the losses are actually not that bad. The fueling changes my Autotune collected showed that the fueling between the two were not that far off. Both pipes were ran off the same base map for my test and the custom exhaust I made ran just a tad leaner than the Akra. I also find it quite funny that the cheap chinese pipe came with an Akrapovic sticker (which in case you are wondering I will not be putting on this pipe as I do not condone advertising something that it is most definitely not). So enough talk here's the pics of what I came up with.

EX 1.jpg

EX 2.jpg

EX 3.jpg

EX 4.jpg

EX 5.jpg

EX 6.jpg

• Premium Member

Very nice choices, a clean and tight fit. My stock exhaust is sitting in my back hallway at work, in a garbage bag, sad and alone. I ignore its pleas.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

You should sell it on here haha.  I bet someone would buy it.  I mean, seeing as I doubt you would keep that on over your akra tit.

Thanks fellas. Yeah I'll try to get a quick vid up sometime this coming weekend. I'll use my zoom H2n for the audio. That little recorder does a really good job capturing the exhaust sounds. I can tell you all though that this pipe with the db killer in is almost as loud as the akra with the db killer out haha.

Archived