The MT-07 Forum

Arrow X-Kone full system- No tuning required?

shinyribs

I've got my eye on this system as I think it compliments the looks of the bike the most, but I've been doing a lot of research regarding the tuning/flashing required to run it. However, these articles mention that using the X-Kone does NOT require any additional tuning. Can anyone confirm or deny this?  

http://www.dealernews.com/speedmob-unveils-new-arrow-exhausts-vfr800-fz-07/

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2014-yamaha-mt-07-receives-arrow-exhaust-upgrades-84513.html

They always say that with nearly every full system exhaust.  Its never required to get tuned.  But in the end, you definitely want to get a tune.  Some loss of low end torque.  Engine running hotter.  Backfire/popping.  Its all going to happen without the tune/reflash.

Its a tale as old as time... at least in the EFI age.

Just now, crsnhppr said:

Just get an EJK for $250 bucks and set it and forget it . In sure 2wdw has a flash it'll work good for too. 

I'm still researching the EJK's. There seems to be a lot of posts with issues concerning them. Reliability is my main concern with this bike. If there is an exhaust system that will run happily with a stock ECU I would be a happy boy. 

• Global Moderator

Even the stock exhaust is much better after a tune.  I have not regretted getting my ECU flashed.  It is the best mod I have done to my bike by far and I still have the stock exhaust installed. 

6 hours ago, shinyribs said:

For what it's worth....

Arrow's reply concerning the X Kone:

IMG_20170918_090241.jpg

They're just concerned with the engine being safe without a tune and it probably is but they aren't going to say anything further that would jeopardize their sales, something like, it also creates excessive popping. No one else advertises that, why would they? This forum will tell you, though, cause we care.

Beemer

Oh, I understand completely. But he was honest when he said it would perform better with a tune, which I'm sure it would. 

My whole thing was just to see what Arrow said about it, versus just the advertisements I came across. 

I know some systems advertise to put a tune on right away. If these can be run without a tune, even if it's not optimal, at least it's possible. And that gives people with limited budget a chance to play one piece at a time. 

I'll get a tune soon. If nothing else, just to kill the decel cut. 

Grip it & Rip it

Maybe look into the Y-series Yoshimura pipe if you don't want to get a tune... it's CARB/EPA compliant and seems like a collab between Yamaha and Yosh, though I'm not sure. I can't seem to find a video of one anywhere, so no idea what it sounds like.

• Premium Member

My gut is telling me "no tune" needed on EU spec bikes as they have a far better factory fueling than the EPA hack job on US spec bikes... 

if you live near ohio you can contact Hordpower whos another vendor with a dyno and speaks FZ-07 fluently...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

The stock ECU tunes pretty well, as long as you run a somewhat restrictive exhaust.
Meaning, you either run an open exhaust with DB Killer, as well as a catalytic converter,

or you can run a restrictive exhaust just fine.

The FZ's exhaust, compared to straight pipes (with DB killer) actually provides quite an amount of backpressure at higher RPMs.
At lower RPM, usually until about 4k RPM (not sure where the threshold is on this bike), will run fine.
If you run a straight pipe without any resistance, it'll run too lean.

The back pressure is desired, because the FZ has more than enough HP, to go at any street legal speeds, even if restricted.

Once you remove that restriction, you can go faster (more HP), but you'll lose some torque.

You can get most torque from running somewhat restrictive.

Archived