The MT-07 Forum

Question about start up

5tonfan

Odd question or observation and was going to see if anyone else has noticed it. When I first got my bike up until recently whenever I turned the key I could hear a mechanical whirling noise that I attributed to just a priming of the fuel system. The last few times I have started the bike I have not heard it and it seem that the bike is harder to start. Any thoughts on what it might be or if I'm just worried over nothing. 

• Premium Member

when you turn the key on, the fuel pump should not prime till you actually use the red thumb kill switch to start the bike providing the red thumb switch is set to off before you turn the key...  CA bikes seem to get hard to start(few extra cranks)due to EVAP system when left outside with full tank- 

I have always used the red thumb switch to kill the motor when I come to a stop and when Im off the bike, I then turn the key off...never had an issue with starting basically on first/second crankover... I did try it the "lazy way" for a few days which is to just use the key to kill the motor and found my bike takes a few good extra cranks to start...

if you got the ABS bike you will/may hear some clicking noises around the ABS modulator box for the first few secs upon starting the bike as the bike performs a checkup of the ABS system which is normal...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

There are 2 things that will cycle on when you turn the key.

The loudest will be the fuel pump. And yeah, you really need fuel pressure at the injectors before you try to start the motor. If the kill switch is thrown when you turn the ignition key to on, the pump will prime after the kill is moved to the middle position. If you slide the kill from (motor) off clean thru to having the starter go, yer not gonna hear the pump prime over top of the starter motor and it might take a few secs longer to start. 

The fuel pump priming may also be harder to hear  if the tank is more filled. 

The other thing that will make a wee noise with the key switch to on is the IAC. There's a small stepper motor in the idle air control valve that will need to cycle to a cold start position. This helps to achieve a fast idle at cold start-ups. On the FZ, it's between the throttle bodies.  IACs are sometimes placed inside air boxes. When that happens, it can be heard along with the fuel pump - especially if the air box is right below the tank.. 

7 hours ago, rick said:

There are 2 things that will cycle on when you turn the key.

The loudest will be the fuel pump. And yeah, you really need fuel pressure at the injectors before you try to start the motor. If the kill switch is thrown when you turn the ignition key to on, the pump will prime after the kill is moved to the middle position. If you slide the kill from (motor) off clean thru to having the starter go, yer not gonna hear the pump prime over top of the starter motor and it might take a few secs longer to start. 

The fuel pump priming may also be harder to hear  if the tank is more filled. 

The other thing that will make a wee noise with the key switch to on is the IAC. There's a small stepper motor in the idle air control valve that will need to cycle to a cold start position. This helps to achieve a fast idle at cold start-ups. On the FZ, it's between the throttle bodies.  IACs are sometimes placed inside air boxes. When that happens, it can be heard along with the fuel pump - especially if the air box is right below the tank.. 

That was it guess I never noticed the kill switch position when I started it earlier.  Thank you for yours and everyones input.

• Premium Member

Am I the only person that's using the kill switch as only a starter button?

I turn on the key and hit the button to start it. Then use the key to shut it down.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Just now, DewMan said:

I turn on the key and hit the button to start it. Then use the key to shut it down.

I've recently started doing the same thing.  It seems to start a little quicker, maybe because it primes as soon as you turn the key?  Don't really know, but it sounds neat.

Can find lots of opinion and supervision about using the kill switch. Of course, you are gonna need to turn the key off if you don't want a dead battery, So, I'll usually just use the key and not touch the kill switch unless there's a need. 

There's currently a Motorcyclist vid talking about how using the kill switch or ignition switch serves the same purpose and no harm will come from using the kill switch. No reason to doubt their expertise,

My Aprilia's manual specifically states to use the kill switch only in emergencies. No one on that forum really knows why.  it's a wimpy little switch on that bike, been suggested it would wear out. It also shuts off relays and ignition thru the ECU where the ignition switch shuts power off from the other side, so there's speculation this will kick up an error at some point. Who knows. 

Ultimately, for most bikes it probably doesn't matter. I'm a Mac guy - hitting the kill switch 1st and then turning off the ignition is an mouse extra click - sooo pc. 

6 hours ago, DewMan said:

I also only use the switch to start...key to shut it down.  Have to turn the key off anyway, may as well save a step. ;-)  Actually started doing this with my former bike, there was a theory that excessive switch action was leading to their untimely failure.

Archived