The MT-07 Forum

K&N 204 oil filter recall!

Cruizin

• Cruizin featured this topic

The one I removed after hearing about the problems with this filter was a -5H but wasn't leaking or cracked that I could tell. The 3 I had ordered from Amazon were all -2J's so are supposedly good. I hope K&N accurately determined that they had a definite manufacturing issue during that period between 3H to -9H because I like the lock wireable nut and would like to continue to use these filters.

• Like 1

I used one of those K&Ns and found out about the leaking issue after it was installed. Mine never leaked. Thankfully, I tend to use my hands to screw filters on and would resort to a nut like that only to remove it. K&N goes out of their way in that link to tell you the nut is there only for removal. Have to wonder if people were using it for installation and breaking the seal. Maybe they've also now beefed up that seal.

Edited by rick

I just stuff a rag in the hole

• Haha 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 4 weeks later...

K&N just updated the announcement with a phone number and email to report your filter. They're offering either a free replacement or a refund.

Details are in the original link.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, thedriver1 said:

K&N just updated the announcement with a phone number and email to report your filter. They're offering either a free replacement or a refund.

Details are in the original link.

Thanks 'thedriver1' for the update. I called the number and got a real nice person who sent me an email with instructions to send back 3 pictures, 1. with filter on the bike, 2. end of filter showing date code 3. side of filter showing model number (KN204). Once they get the pix they send a box with return label for your old filter and when received, will send either a refund or a new filter. Good for K&N.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markstertt said:

Thanks 'thedriver1' for the update. I called the number and got a real nice person who sent me an email with instructions to send back 3 pictures, 1. with filter on the bike, 2. end of filter showing date code 3. side of filter showing model number (KN204). Once they get the pix they send a box with return label for your old filter and when received, will send either a refund or a new filter. Good for K&N.

Awesome, that's good to hear. Lucky thing I got a pic of the filter on the bike, because I removed it as soon as they sent out the recall initially. I'll have to try getting the replacement now.

Edited by thedriver1
Endless typos

Yeah so did I but still have a later one on the bike...they emailed me a shipping return label already, they're not wasting any time.

I got the return box today, stuck the filter in it, attached the return label and shipped it back....so far so good. I'll continue to use my -204's but will keep an eye on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I emailed them and sent in the pictures and info they required. Already received the return box and sent it back out with the old filter. 

Incredibly easy.

I would not trust them, even with the replacement filters.  We've seen 5 failures of them in the last year locally, and it wasn't just 204's.  Other good brands are easily attainable, and the risk of a failure oiling your back tire down arenn't worth it.

We use HiFlo in the shop.. they used to make K&N before the issues started, readily avaiable, inexpensive, and the same filter as K&N. If anyone gets in a pinch we stock them, though you might find them sheaper elsewhere.

• Like 1