The MT-07 Forum

Is it bad to stop in 2nd gear

phanomenal07

Is it bad for the fz to come to a stop in second gear or higher? Also is there anything wrong with launching from second or third gear? Would this hurt the bike at all?

I little more clutch wear will be required, but not enough to matter as long as you don't try to take off in 3rd gear uphill with a passenger all the time. 2nd gear is so strong there are no reasons to worry whatsoever.

I little more clutch wear will be required, but not enough to matter as long as you don't try to take off in 3rd gear uphill with a passenger all the time. 2nd gear is so strong there are no reasons to worry whatsoever.

Ok thanks

• Premium Member

I use 2nd gear at starts and stops 99% of the time... the FZ-07 has the TQ to pull away in 2nd gear quicker than starting in 1st then shifting to 2nd... the speed differ between 1st and 2nd at my shift point was like 7mph

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

0-60mph? or 0 to 60'?

best solution is putting in seat time

for me yes its quicker due to my riding style, way less wheelie prone off the line... last time I had the FZ-07 at the drag strip my 60' time was just a hair under 2secs

either way some ppl are quicker using 1st gear, same thing with some ppl cannot mentally rev past 4k rpms, nothing wrong with that...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

On 9/17/2017 at 11:01 AM, Beemer said:

It's not so good if you stop in 2nd without engaging the clutch.

LOL!
Neither in 1st.
I guess he's meaning to use the clutch, else he'd stall...

0-60 is slower departing in 2nd, because it'll take the bike longer to get into it's powerband; unless your gearing is way too short (for stunts).

I extended my gears, +1t front, -3 to -5t rear still gives excellent acceleration in 1st. Hard to keep the front wheel to the ground when running full throttle.

Archived