The MT-07 Forum

Thoughts on this FJ-09 deal?

jbone

Stopped by my local dealer to see what kind of deal they would offer on a new 2015 FJ-09. Been sitting on their showroom floor for quite sometime. I know this because I've been monitoring it for a while...and it has some dust collected. I noticed the bars were slightly off center in comparison to the forks / tire - I noticed this the last time I stopped in to look at the bike a few months ago. It has 0 miles and when I brought this to their attention, they were unaware. It was already prepped and said someone probably test rode it, dropped it and didn't say anything. They offered to make any and all repairs if I were to buy it. They have it listed at $7900 with an OTD of $9300. Just for sheetz and giggs, I had them estimate my FZ trade in, which they offered $4600. I laughed at that but really it isn't too bad for a dealer trade in offer. Anyway, what do you guys think about a $9300 OTD on the FJ?  Again, it's a new old stock. This was the first dealer I have been to re: an OTD price. No other dealer within 150 miles has a new 2015 to offer. FWIW, I am in Michigan.

The front-end damage would make me very wary of this deal. Even with repairs, I don't think it'll ever be perfect unless they flat-out replace the whole front-end and I really doubt they would do that. This would constantly bother me. Consider the worst case if you're pushing it in a turn and it gives out...

What kind of deal can you get for an undamaged one? Odds are you'll get something similar since they aren't discounting it.

• Premium Member

Where is this FJ-09 located? If it's around the west michigan area I can give it a look over...

I paid just over $9k for my 0 mile old stock FJ-09 last Oct from Babbitts outta muskegon...it was a floor model that also collected dust...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Where is this FJ-09 located? If it's around the west michigan area I can give it a look over... 
I paid just over $9k for my 0 mile old stock FJ-09 last Oct from Babbitts outta muskegon...it was a floor model that also collected dust...
Zeigler in Kzoo. It's odd cuz I see no damage to the bar ends / hand guards, engine / clutch covers. Only other evidence I can see is a small scuff to the black plastic fairing below the front turn signal and a small amount of gravel on top of the clutch cover where it meets the clutch cable. Tell tale evidence that shows it went down but it's hard to say how bad. I'm not sure if they replaced some plastic and just overlooked the bar issue or what. I may just wait until next season when they start discounting the 2016's. 

• Premium Member
Zeigler in Kzoo. It's odd cuz I see no damage to the bar ends / hand guards, engine / clutch covers. Only other evidence I can see is a small scuff to the black plastic fairing below the front turn signal and a small amount of gravel on top of the clutch cover where it meets the clutch cable. Tell tale evidence that shows it went down but it's hard to say how bad. I'm not sure if they replaced some plastic and just overlooked the bar issue or what. I may just wait until next season when they start discounting the 2016's. 

... didnt they just open bout 6months ago? Possible its damages from moving to new place?

zero miles tells me it never left the parking lot...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

... didnt they just open bout 6months ago? Possible its damages from moving to new place?

zero miles tells me it never left the parking lot...
  Yeah, I think they opened their new shop in early spring. Super nice. I bought my FZ from them at their old shop. I told the sales guy the same thing about having 0 miles and not going far. If it wasn't for finding the gravel above the clutch cover, I could have believed it was just tipped over. The whole left grip / hand guard was loose too. I think they would have to replace all the damaged pieces and give me a much sweeter deal for me to seriously consider it.  

• Premium Member

By gravel do you mean the fine beach like sand that gets kicked up by passing cars on a rainy day? or gravel like on a baseball diamond? could be dirt off the roof of the dealership if it was parked under the rain running off the roof?

Gravel as in like small gravel stones from a dirt parking lot.... or you know the stones that get down inside your shoe and piss you off? That stuff.

Some people just slap those bikes together, not paying as much attention to detail as say, you, when eye balling it. That's just one possibility, it could've simply fell over without ever being rode (0 miles, right?) and whoever dropped it didn't notice anything wrong if it's slight and didn't bother to tell anyone. It should definitely be aligned and test ridden before purchase but as far as the price goes, to me it looks alright. It's 2,800 les than a 2017 model so that's a reduction of 1400 per year. Doesn't get too much better than that, I don't think.

It's never a good idea to rush into a purchase anyway so take your time with it, you have some leverage now since you found a flaw and they know it.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring

Edit: I just got to reading this, "The whole left grip / hand guard was loose too."
Is the grip or hand guard damaged or do they just need tightening? Tightening is no problem. Still, test ride that bike. I would bet it simply fell over in the parking lot and no major damage. Just my 2 cents worth.

Beemer

• Premium Member

Hypothetically thinking here: ignore the zero miles for this

Let's say the bike was crashed during a test ride and damaged the left side-
Off the top of my head probably approx $2k+ in parts to but bike back to zero miles- ECU must be replaced to get zero miles

On the other hand
I honestly believe the handguards didn't get tighten down enough in the first place- known problem on the FJ-09 forum... I'm picturing the small gravel is from being outside next to the road or it was parked just under a roof overhang...

Platinum Powersports just down the road from me bout a 10min ride has a leftover old stock FJ-09, Babbitts Powersports bout a 20min ride away had none last I checked a few months ago... Haven't checked Village or Fox Powersports yet...

Archived