The MT-07 Forum

CBR600RR shock without airbox clearance issues

shinyribs

Bluntlunchbox

Awesome project!  I've already started by picking up a cbr600rr shock, should be here Monday.  I was curious if you have any advice for breaking down the shock?  It also looks like you added the nitrogen fill port to the reservoir.  Is that a simple tap, and screw in the air valve?  Thanks for your help and great pics!

firstyammerha

need more of this stuff! I've got one of these CBR 600 shocks in my shed but after reading the thread, I think I'll pass on trying to mount it on my bike. I've got a couple of GSXR shocks to try. One is a piggyback and the other is a remote reservoir. Mocking them up, I think the piggyback will interfere with the air box. That makes the remote reservoir shock the likely candidate for use.I found a spread sheet on the web that has all the Japanese shocks dimensions and other data like mount type, spring rate, length, reservoir and type et cetera. Great reference and we owe the person who compiled this data  many thanks. The only draw back is the date range of the data is like the mid eighties to about 2000. Still very handy. 

Bluntlunchbox

Got my 2nd cbr600rr shock in the mail today.  1st one I ordered was a '09-'12 and the lower mount ended up being and eyelet instead of a fork like our own shocks come.  I like the looks of the newer shock since the spring is black instead yellow, oh well.  Anyways, the '05-'06 shock looks good and I started calling a few of the fab shops in San Diego to inquire about welding up the shock and reservoir.  $21 off eBay and I'm on my way lol. Are these shocks steel or aluminum?

Bluntlunchbox
7 hours ago, faffi said:

Will the springs interchange?

I'll try to swap them and report back.

• Like 1

CanadianFZ07

Fantastic stuff. Would you ever consider doing the work for someone else like me?

I wonder how well this would work for lighter riders like me at 145 with full gear on. This paired with some fork springs and oil could make a HUGE difference for under 500$

Bluntlunchbox

I've still got to figure out a way to get the springs off without losing a finger lol.  Might need to bite the bullet and get some motorcycle specific spring compressors...

• 3 weeks later...
Bluntlunchbox

Update!  

I ended up keeping the 2009-2012 shock as well as the last shock I picked up from eBay, 2005-06.  The newer shock uses a different bottom mount than the clevis style mounts that we need.  Maybe I can swap them and use the newer shock, we'll see.  Using the spring compressors I purchased from Amazon, it wasn't too bad. 

20180721_110734-1612x1209.jpg

Bluntlunchbox

2003 shock has a cracked bump stop bushing.  I've searched the web and haven't found a replacement yet.  I hope I can swap out the bump stop from the other shock, but I finding some slight differences.  No " Showa" sticker and the body is mostly cast.  

20180721_173423-1512x2016.jpg

toss the bumper or slice a rubber suitable rubber wedge plug. Though you can buy new official bumpers if that is your want.

example

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/c3/shock-absorber-bumpers/15727

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwi-pwshrh02000

your local suspension guy probably has some serviceable ones.

Edited by pattonme
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Bluntlunchbox

Thanks pattonme. I'll check it out!  Just curious, has anyone tried the cbr600rr remote reservoir shock?

eBay 2009 remote reservoir shock

The lower mount needs to be changed to a clevis style but it's basically what I'm trying to do with the 2005 cbr600rr shock I have now.

firstyammerha

using the spread sheet that I have, a 1987-88 Yamaha FZR1000 with a remote reservoir and clevis lower mount is 300.5mm long and looks promising to me. There's no spring rate info for this shock on my spread sheet but Race Tech's site may have it. I haven't looked on the web recently for one but $25 to $50 is what I've seen for most used oem shocks on Ebay. Bluntlunchbox, where did you get the spring compressors and how much were they? June 2020 update, the FZR 1000 upper eye is too wide for the FZ07 upper mount and the clevis isn't deep enough for the FZ07 link. Pass on the FZR shock. 

Edited by firstyammerha

2 hours ago, firstyammerha said:

1987-88 Yamaha FZR1000 with a remote reservoir and clevis lower mount is 300.5mm long 

Per Ohlins the shock spring is 150N/mm vs FZ07 that uses 120N/mm. So the rebound circuit is going to be VERY heavy. But since Jap suck at suspension maybe they screwed up to the light size and it won't be so bad. You'll want to tear it apart anyway so you can change shims while you're in there. However you're short by 12mm which is pretty damn extreme. How were you planning on getting that back?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

firstyammerha

Blunt lunchbox,thanks for giving me and the forum the information. I think I'll pop for the Alpha Moto and the Tusk compressor. My credit card is down to $40 and needs to be pumped up. Also, thanks to the man(Pattonme) for the spring rate info. RaceTech didn't have it on their site. As far as the difference in shock oal, if you add the recommended sag figure to the 10mm shock length difference, you would be around 45mm closer to the ground. I don't recall a stock bikes ground clearance but pipes may touch the ground in certain circumstances like speed bumps. RaceTech says I need a 600lb. spring on my shock but my riding style has me cruising around on the stock springs number 1 and 2 ramp steps. 

Bluntlunchbox

Small update:

The 2009-2012 cbr600rr shock is different from the 2005-2006 unit.  The newer black spring has a very slightly smaller I.D. and won't fit the older Showa shock.  So I'm stuck with the yellow spring, for now.  Factory bumpers are not available from my experience so far.  Race Tech does offer a few options for bumpers for other shocks but I haven't found a perfect match yet.  14mm shaft, 29mm height and 48mm width.  Race Tech does seem to have most of the parts available for a rebuild, they're customer service is really good.

firstyammerha

luntlunchbox, Pattonme and others, I decided to go with the Tusk spring compressor just so we would have a second option for spring compressors. Haven't tried it yet but I decided to put my SW Motech centerstand to use yesterday and dragged out two shocks I bought a couple of years ago to try on my Gladius or FZ09- a`93-95 GSXR 750 remote reservoir and `06-07 YZF6R piggy back. The piggyback reservoir did interfere with the air box and the GSXR hose needs to be shifted to the left to avoid interference with the upper mount right side flange.Our bikes upper shock eyes are 30mm wide and the shock  clevis 25mm wide and 33mm deep. Our bikes upper mounts are 30mm wide and the lower link mount is 25 mm wide so we are going to be restricted in which shocks to try as direct bolt ons. An`89 FZR1000(yes,I bought one same time as the Tusk tool) and `86 FZ750 have  wide 46 mm upper mounts which I think could be band sawed or milled down to 30 mm. I found out that the GSXR and YZF6R have this 30mm  number for the upper eye. The GSXR is a little tight in the upper mount but seems to have clearance at the lower link. Eye to eye length of the GSXR is real close to the stock shock at 308mm. The YZF6R looks like it fits at both ends but is about 20mm shorter than the stock shock. I believe adjustable lower links or a custom upper link of a male heim joint with a turnbuckle in between the stock male clevis frame mount on the shock eye would help compensate for this.The shock has a  removable upper  clevis to attach the shock to the frame. Overall there's going to be some "adjustments" made on any of the alternative oem shocks that we choose. Alternate used shocks are around $25 on Ebay so whats to lose?Also, be aware that these measurements and observations that I made should be considered as my opinion and anyone can feel free to correct me.

Edited by firstyammerha
spelling correction

• 4 months later...

My shock is cut and welded. Is the 24" hose and fittings a good fit? Would you do anything different? Locations of hose attachment work out well? Any updated photos?

I'm sorry I haven't replied to any questions on this thread. I didn't realize this was still going!

@fjcruise I don't remember what length hose I used, but if you say 24" then that must be it. For my particular setup and reservoir location it worked out perfect. I made a collar type mount and bolted it right above the right side rearset using one of the original frame cover mounting locations. The hose routes under the throttle bodies where there is some other wiring already, thenit just loops over the clutch housing. I have a P-clamp just out of view on this pic (underneath) also to an original frame cover mounting location that keep the hose from rubbing on the frame or engine. 

About 12k miles and no issues so far!

iYgpBRwl.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 9:18 PM, Bluntlunchbox said:

Awesome project!  I've already started by picking up a cbr600rr shock, should be here Monday.  I was curious if you have any advice for breaking down the shock?  It also looks like you added the nitrogen fill port to the reservoir.  Is that a simple tap, and screw in the air valve?  Thanks for your help and great pics!

Too late now, but no,I didn't add that fill port. As you already figured out, Honda uses a ridiculous cover over these thing that you have to destroy in order to reveal the nitrogen port. Are you planning to refill the shock yourself? If so, it's very easy, but you do need some special equipment to do it correctly.  Sorry I didn't reply sooner! 

If you do this ->  @Bluntlunchbox    members will be notified and will be able to reply to your questions quicker. 

• Like 1