The MT-07 Forum

Spark Plug - NGK LMAR8A-9 vs LMAR8A-9S

philthyphil

I'm getting close to 8000 miles on my FZ-07, so I went to the Yamaha Store where I purchased my bike and bought some of the things that I need for the 8000 mi maintenance. I bought two spark plugs but they have a slightly different part number than what is called for in the manual. The manual calls for NGK/LMAR8A-9. The plugs that they sold me at the dealership have a part number of LMAR8A-9S. So basically the same part number with the exception of the S tacked on the end. The box that the spark plug comes in actually says Honda on it too. I asked the guy at the dealership if they were right, and he claims that they are. He says even though they say Honda on the box they are the same plugs. Have any of you used these particular plugs? Should I be concerned?

IMG_20170830_145530.jpg

IMG_20170830_145541.jpg

IMG_20170830_145608.jpg

Good Lord, what a long thread!!

I don't know what the "S" at the end of the part number denotes, but if you go to NGK's website they will have a chart that will explain it.

Typically, not always and maybe not in this case, but typically...that "S" at the end of an NGK plug number would denotes a Standard electrode tip, rather than a V-type tip or split electrode.

Most important things to verify is to match the thread length and the depth of the ceramic insulation to your existing plug.

Good Lord, what a long thread!! 
I don't know what the "S" at the end of the part number denotes, but if you go to NGK's website they will have a chart that will explain it.

Typically, not always and maybe not in this case, but typically...that "S" at the end of an NGK plug number would denotes a Standard electrode tip, rather than a V-type tip or split electrode.

Most important things to verify is to match the thread length and the depth of the ceramic insulation to your existing plug.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll go see what I can find on NGK's website. Yeah, that was my first thought when I took it out of the box too. I've never seen a spark plug with such a long thread on it. I looked at some pictures online of spark plugs that people took out of their FZ 07s and it looks the same. Hopefully I'm good to go.

Just in case any one searching the internet with the same question runs into this forum post, I just want to verify that these two spark plugs are NOT the same. Despite what the tech at the Yamaha Dealer told me, the one with the part number which ends with an S actually has a special gasket on it. It is made for a specific Honda motor. Other than that the two plugs are identical. They just have different gaskets. I see on Amazon where they are selling the same plugs that I bought at the dealership (the wrong ones), that most of the reviewers are people who've used them on FZ 07s. They've all left good reviews, and say that they work fine, but I'd rather stick with the plugs with the correct gasket.

So to clarify in simple words NGK / LMAR8A-9 is not the same as   NGK / LMAR8A-9S no matter what they say at the dealership. 

This can be verified on NGK's website. 

Archived