The MT-07 Forum

Big time performance gains

raider87

Modifying my 2015 FZ07. Having 2wdw flash ECU, installing a Yoshi R77 and taking off the air filter snorkel. Can't wait. Next thing I have in mind to seriously crank up HP/pound is to lose the 20 pounds of weight I've put on in the last year. I think that will do more for performance than any of the other mods.

• Premium Member

Yup.

I lost 25 pounds so I could fit well in a size 42 leather suit.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Yep eat less pies get healthy save money, better power the weight ration
think how expensive it would be replacing enough of the bike with carbon
fiber or titanium even unobtainium win win and save money to.

HP to weight is a huge gain and so over looked. From Unsprung weight to Sprung weight loosing 10 lbs on a bike is huge loosing 20 lbs on your carcass is even better.

My goal is to reduce 20lbs off the FZ this winter, this will be accomplished a few ways, after market exhaust and stripping down the crap that is not needed.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

Had a 30 minute session at the last trackday. I'm so out of shape! More squats....

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Had a 30 minute session at the last trackday. I'm so out of shape! More squats....
But then your pants may not fit anymore :D 
I'm 5'11" and 200 lb, reasonably fit, and use 3XL jackets and XL pants, and yet room for both arms and thighs are borderline, while waistline is generous, especially for the jackets. If you are muscular, I don't think you have much chance of finding anything off the rack that fits - you must have riding suits tailor made because there will not be room for arms, chest and legs. 

• Premium Member
But then your pants may not fit anymore :D 
I'm 5'11" and 200 lb, reasonably fit, and use 3XL jackets and XL pants, and yet room for both arms and thighs are borderline, while waistline is generous, especially for the jackets. If you are muscular, I don't think you have much chance of finding anything off the rack that fits - you must have riding suits tailor made because there will not be room for arms, chest and legs. 
Funny you say that, my knees are tight in my leather Joe Rocket 6.0 suit.  This is only noticeable when my knees are bent, like when riding.  lol  Anyways, I'm hoping the leather will stretch, or maybe find someone local that can let that area out..... 

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Are the lightweight batteries like Shorai a good idea for the FZ? Will they be as reliable as a standard glass mat or whatever they put in them now? I've seen people say they are great and others say they are not reliable.

My KTM enduro has a kickstart also so I was considering one for that a few years ago but my want list exceeded my actual budget by quite a bit so I never got one. LOL!!!

A YUASA OEM replacement battery is 7 lbs the Shorai is just 2 so you literally shave 5 lbs off sprung weight. I was reselling Shorai for a awhile, initially they under rated the battery per bike, hated it on my R1, but loved the weight loss, yes you feel the 5 lbs missing. Dont believe me, how does the bike feel with a full tank of gas compared to empty? How much weight loss? 1 gal of gas weighs 6 lbs

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

Dump stock airbox for a Hordpower airbox
Hordpower engine package- Hi-comp pistons, cams and head work
Tail tidy
Aftermarket battery

That's a 385# bike now...

the Hordpower system is built off the yoshi pipe which you already have...No ECU flash available so all maps are used via PCV...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

And the trouble with losing weight is that you must diet for the rest of your life as the body will always try to come back to its former weight. If you drop from let's say 230 to 200 lb, your daily calorie requirement will be 15-20% less than it was when you were 200 going up because the body is in a state of deprivation and will reduce its metabolism in an attempt to gain the weight lost.

That's why most will go back to their pre-diet weight; it's difficult for most to stay hungry all the time. One way out of this is to add muscle; muscles burn calories to maintain themselves and weigh about twice that of fat, so you appear slimmer as well as are able to eat enough to stay satisfied. But now we're talking health as your bike will not care whether it's carrying flab or muscle - a pound is a pound regardless ;)

Dump stock airbox for a Hordpower airbox Hordpower engine package- Hi-comp pistons, cams and head work
Tail tidy
Aftermarket battery

That's a 385# bike now...

the Hordpower system is built off the yoshi pipe which you already have...No ECU flash available so all maps are used via PCV...
Last I heard the Hord flashed ECU's were available unless something drastic changed...I'll have to check because that was on my list for winter projects. 
Used to be that 10 lbs. lost equaled about 1 h.p. gained.

Lithium batteries work just fine and the wt. savings is significant, they maintain their charge for months on end and aren't much more expensive than the other types. I'm using Deltran in a dual sport and a really off brand in TTr-125, 4 yrs. on the latter and 3 yrs. on the Deltran.

Archived