The MT-07 Forum

Rear wheel howl

noodles

I'm beginning to think the clacking sound in the video isn't bearing or damage related...in all my years I've never heard a bearing make that kind of noise...I'm going out on a limb here since I couldn't see how you lifted the rear but is it possible you used a swing arm lift that was making contact with the brake rotor or the sprocket as you spun the rear wheel...would explain a lot.

If this were the case, then you could go back to the original problem and forget the clacking.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm beginning to think the clacking sound in the video isn't bearing or damage related...in all my years I've never heard a bearing make that kind of noise...I'm going out on a limb here since I couldn't see how you lifted the rear but is it possible you used a swing arm lift that was making contact with the brake rotor or the sprocket as you spun the rear wheel...would explain a lot. 

If this were the case, then you could go back to the original problem and forget the clacking.
Think he's got a SW Motech center stand installed. It's more likely to hit when up, not down 
Frequency of that clacking is real close the spacing of the rotor bolts. They're recessed and didn't appear to have any marks on them.

But yep, sure seems like something was hitting that unfortunately is not now.

Speaking of 6 - there are 6 big holes in that open, hollow hub. If something got in there somehow, at 70 mph it might have thrown the wheel out of balance bad enough to cause that vibration noise at speed and then bounce over those holes clacking as it went when the wheel was turned slowly before falling out again somewhere later on.

I know, crazy. but there would be evidence of this inside the hub. Just had a look with a light. Mine's pretty nasty in there. Scuff marks would be easy to see.

Another possibility is that the transmission was in a "false neutral", and the noise was from the transmission gear dogs bumping against each other.
I've heard that from several of my own bikes while spinning the rear wheel with the bike on a stand.
Shifting the transmission to the actual neutral position stops it.

Sound in the video is exactly the same as the six sprocket mounting studs/nuts hitting the swingarm stand.
Yep, it dawned on me this morning, I can't believe I'm lying awake thinking about someone else's motorcycle problem...as I said it would explain a lot and just one little wiggle of the bike on the stand and the clack would go away. Now back to the original problem if he hasn't found it already. 

Speaking of 6 - there are 6 big holes in that open, hollow hub. If something got in there somehow, at 70 mph it might have thrown the wheel out of balance bad enough to cause that vibration noise at speed and then bounce over those holes clacking as it went when the wheel was turned slowly before falling out again somewhere later on.  
I know, crazy. but there would be evidence of this inside the hub. Just had a look with a light. Mine's pretty nasty in there. Scuff marks would be easy to see.
I doubt it, first , centrifugal force...second, the cadence of the clacking wasn't random but equally spaced. Might even be the scallops on the OD of the rotor contacting something but don't know but should have been obvious to Noodles so I give up...one can make a lot of assumptions on the ability of another that will lead you in the wrong direction. The original screech on the second video sounded like a high velocity occurrence and I'm no longer even convinced it came from the rear wheel. I think I'll bow out unless the poster responds with some more good intel. Maybe go for a ride...our heat spell seems to have broken. 

I'll take some of that hot weather. Should still be near 80 here in the rust belt. Didn't get to 60F yesterday in pittsburgh, maybe 70 today. Seems every time the west coast is really hot, we're jus the opposite here. Been a cool, rainy summer here - and no fires.

• Premium Member
don't know but should have been obvious to Noodles so I give up...one can make a lot of assumptions on the ability of another that will lead you in the wrong direction
OK so no one knows what it could be but apparently it should be obvious. I appreciate the sentiment. It isn't obvious to me or I wouldn't have bothered posting. I'm new at this but I'm trying to learn.

I have to make time to work on the machine. If I find the answer I will post it here.

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Sorry Noodles, the comment 'it should have been obvious' was not referring to your original problem but to the fact that if it was when you were spinning your wheel and possibly causing your rotor or sprocket parts to hit parts of a paddock stand, that you should probably detect that right off. I know you don't know me nor I you but I hope that you believe me when I say that I never intended to belittle your abilities or skills or desire to work on and solve your own bike problems. I grew up talking to people in person or on a phone where intent was less ambiguous, where inflection, expression etc. was just us much of the conversation as the words. A lot can be lost or inferred when only reading the typed words.

Your problem was interesting to me and I was hoping that with the other guys on the forum, we could help figure something out...I eat, sleep and dream motorcycles and burnt up a few brain cells and even got out of bed to go out and look at my bike to try and see if there was something on mine that might help me when thinking abut yours. I will admit that I did get a little frustrated when you didn't respond in regards to a few ideas such as the clunking and paddock stand idea...I hate to follow a false trail as it takes time away from concentrating on the real problem.

I really appreciate the fact that you like and want to work on your motorcycle, I hope you understand that it can be very hard to try and diagnose a mechanical problem with limited clues over the internet...unless by chance someone has already been there, done that kind of thing. There are some really good people on this forum, very helpful and knowledgeable and we can all learn a lot from each others experiences. As for me, I'm anxious to see what you find, so please let us know...Mark

• Premium Member

The bearings are fine. It must be the chain making that noise. Nothing else seems worn or failing. I ordered a chain and sprocket set. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I have a bit of resolution to this. I solved the issue. I did the following:

• Replaced front sprocket
  • Replaced rear sprocket
  • Replaced drive chain
  • Replaced drive chain guide
  • Aligned rear wheel with guide tool
  • Replaced both tires

Upon inspecting the drive chain guide I saw that it has a groove running at a diagonal to the intended Ridge where the chain should run. Now it's been that way as long as I've owned the bike, but I think it wore the rubber down thin enough that it was rubbing the swingarm. Beneath the rubber was bare metal where the powder coating had been eroded from friction. I suspect that at speed, a misaligned drive chain (or a correctly aligned drive chain with a damaged drive chain guide) allowed the chain to come in contact with the swing arm, or at least allowed the runner guide to vibrate along the swing arm since it was not aligned with the drive chain. That might cause the noise and bare metal I found. Or, maybe, the drive chain was worn and at speed, that noise was the chain complaining. 

I just replaced all wear items that seemed suspect and were along the swing arm, really. Excluding the brakes and h the suspension and pivots. It works now with no worrying noise. 

• Premium Member

Glad you were finally able to resolve this. Feels good when you excise the gremlins doesn't it? :)

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
On 10/23/2017 at 1:08 PM, DewMan said:

Glad you were finally able to resolve this. Feels good when you excise the gremlins doesn't it? :)

It feels even better to be able to launch from a red light onto the highway at warp speed on 2 wheels again... Which I can't do as quickly in my GTI, try as I might

Archived