The MT-07 Forum

210F engine temps, normal?

level41

I was riding my bike, in nearly standstill traffic.
from between stand still, to first gear idle with clutch disengaged, to maybe 3k RPM peak. 
Occasionally 2nd gear 3k RPM (like 15MPH peaks), but most of my speed was below 10MPH.

It was 100+F outside on the interstate.
I became aware of an extreme heat on my foot.
I thought because the sun was shining on my leather boots, it probably was just that.
However it got hotter as I accelerated.

I saw the temp readout reached 210F.
At these temps, the coolant water may be close to boiling point, as regular water would boil around 212F, and regular coolant water boils at 223F!

I'm wondering if the fan wasn't working well, or if I may have a problem with my bike?
On most cars, I see the temp usually stays below 195F.

I'll have to check my coolant fluid levels.
With fast acceleration, the bike increases 1F about every second, and usually stays around  180-185F (unless I'm in a traffic jam).
Is this normal?

Ow, just opened the user manual, and it said the coolant temperature sensor would go from 40C to 116C (or 104-240F) before it'd reach a 'hi' message (the time to turn off the engine).

I presume because the system is in a closed system that the temps can go as high as 240F before the coolant starts boiling?

I also wonder what the average engine temp is, before the fan starts kicking in, and if it makes any difference when riding?

Only had my bike about a week/ 400'ish miles, but have never seen it go over 178*f yet. Zero standstill traffic, though. I haven't heard the fan come on yet. When I park the bike the temps will rise to about 190-200 and that's it. Seems awfully cool for an injected motor IMO.

• Premium Member

its not the actual engine temp but rather the current coolant temp... oem set fan to kick on at 195°F...reflashed ECU typically have fans kick on 10°F sooner... in all seriousness the bike will shut off at 240°F and thats like maybe 25 mins of standstill idle on a hot day provided the coolant levels are within normal specs...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

The times I have been stuck in traffic here in Ft Worth, TX when the weather is around 100* mine does the exact same thing. The fan comes on around 220* and it never gets much over that. As soon as I get moving it usually cools back down again. I was worried also the first time mine did that but it seems to be normal.

All normal. I've had my fan come on a few times last summer. No problems since then. As far as i know the bike will shut itself off if it gets dangerous. Had that happen too. Still fine.

The system is pressurised don't know how high but for roughly every 1lb of pressure the boiling point
of the coolant goes up by 1deg your bike sounds normal to me only time I ever actually had the fan come
on was on the ride home from the dealer when new, it is also normal for the engine to shut down after
20 min idling no matter what the temp is.

• Premium Member

210 is fine, I have peaked around 225. Fan kicks on around 210-220. Spent many an hour in traffic and 95 degree weather, no issues, bike is unaffected, 32k miles.

Everything went braap.

Thanks! It gives me peace of mind.

Probably the fan started kicking in at around 210F, and that's why the heat on my foot became noticeable (not only the fan cooling down the bike, but the hot interstate pavement, and the sun shining full blown on my legs).

If the boiling point raises by 1F for every 1bar, the internal coolant pressure has to be at least 17 to 18 bar at full pressure.
They always warn never to open a radiator while the engine is hot :)

If the boiling point raises by 1F for every 1bar, the internal coolant pressure has to be at least 17 to 18 bar at full pressure. They always warn never to open a radiator while the engine is hot :)

The boiling point is raised 2-3 degrees F for each psi increase. Coolant (antifreeze) also raise boiling point of the mixture up to a certain extent.

Radiator caps are usually rated at 1.1 - 1.3 bar (15 - 18 psi)- exceed this pressure and you'll know about it!

SoCal has been seeing really hot weather and I have seen 210* but then in California we don't have to come to a complete stop in traffic. 

ABS =  Audible Blinker System. The horn beebs every time I use the blinker

• Premium Member

From the factory the fan will come on at 220, and go off in the 205-210 range. After an ECU flash it will kick on at 205 and off at 195.

You can run all day in the 220's, the 230's and up can be ok but as you noticed, it gets hot on the feet.

If your in Cali or Texas where it is hot all the time, or you do lots of stop and go, I can't recommend enough, the ECU flash enough from 2WDW for the fan temps alone, besides all the other awesomeness!!!

Hope this helps,
~Pete

'16 FZ07

My fan also comes on at 220F.

Remember yer high school chem class PV=nRT? With volume held constant, pressure and temp go up and down in a 1:1 ratio. That's in Celsius of course, not Fahrenheit which will be that near 1:3 ratio that Stickshift posted. When the temp inside the system gets hot enough to push the system pressure beyond that 18psi, the valve in the radiator cap opens and allows fluid to escape to the overflow bottle. Pressure then drops back to 18 psi. When the whole system cools back down, pressure inside the radiator actually becomes negative (it lost fluid when it was hot) and then a 2nd valve in the radiator cap opens and the coolant that transferred to the overflow now gets drawn back into the radiator. Magic.

This system is allowed to get a bit hot imo, but many cars thermostats allow them to run 20, even 30 degrees hotter all the time, so it really shouldn't be an issue. But yeah, if ya live in a place where it's really hot, having that fan come on at 200F would be good. That's exactly where the fans on my Aprilia fire up.

While riding yesterday I came to a stop for a few minutes at one point and I noticed my fan had just kicked on and the temp was 225. So, when I got home I quickly opened a cold beer to cool off.

I joke but engine's start to overheat at times and if the fan kicks on it's most likely going to cool off and nothing to worry about. 

Beemer

Archived