The MT-07 Forum

Engine Code 19

jbone

Rode the FZ today on a short ride for dinner, maybe 6 or 7 miles. No issues. Returned home, turned the bike off, took my gear off and opened the garage door to pull the bike in. Went to fire up the bike (less than 1 minute after shutting it down) and it cranked , but would not fire up. Code 19 appeared. Turned the ignition off, turned back on and bike fired up. Tried it a few more times and no issues. I know the code is side stand related, but what would is the most likely cause given my symptoms? FWIW, i trailered the bike a few hours to and from my cabin this weekend and experienced a VERY light and short lived rainfall during the trip. I read the previously covered thread on the Code 19 , but it didn't match my exact symptoms per se.  

And I'll get this out of the way now...no the bike wasn't in gear while I was trying to start it with the sidestand down lol. 

• Global Moderator
Rode the FZ today on a short ride for dinner, maybe 6 or 7 miles. No issues. Returned home, turned the bike off, took my gear off and opened the garage door to pull the bike in. Went to fire up the bike (less than 1 minute after shutting it down) and it cranked , but would not fire up. Code 19 appeared. Turned the ignition off, turned back on and bike fired up. Tried it a few more times and no issues. I know the code is side stand related, but what would is the most likely cause given my symptoms? FWIW, i trailered the bike a few hours to and from my cabin this weekend and experienced a VERY light and short lived rainfall during the trip. I read the previously covered thread on the Code 19 , but it didn't match my exact symptoms per se.    
And I'll get this out of the way now...no the bike wasn't in gear while I was trying to start it with the sidestand down lol. 

Check the connector at the clutch lver and behind the side-cover for the sidestand switch...if either are slightly unplugged they will cause am open and that code... Its why i no longer have a side-stand switch on mine

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Check the connector at the clutch lver and behind the side-cover for the sidestand switch...if either are slightly unplugged they will cause am open and that code... Its why i no longer have a side-stand switch on mine
Yeah, good place to look 1st if the bars were strapped while trailering.  
I used to bypass those pesky sidestand switches. They have such a bad reputation for screwing up and killing the motor. Considering they see loads of dirt, water, and chain lube on occasion, it's no wonder they fail.

well, state inspection now requires those switches to function and the place I go to failed my Aprilia a couple years ago due to that bypass. Took me 2 hours to undo the wiring done to bypass it, so I just live with the possibility of the switch failing some day and shutting off the motor in the rain/dark. 

So, I unplugged the connector at the clutch lever and the bike started up and shifted into 1st w/ no problem. No error codes. Should it be doing this with it unplugged? I'm not at my house and do not have access to tools to check the connector at the side stand.

• Global Moderator

With that connector unplugged you will not be able to start your bike unless it is in neutral. That can be a problem if you accidently stall in an intersection (don't ask me how I know).

Archived