The MT-07 Forum

Custom Clip-on Adapter

blackout

• Premium Member

0827172116a.jpg

0827172116b.jpg

0827172116c.jpg

0826171934.jpg

Just finished this up.  I needed a better handle bar position for tracking my bike.  This has a few benefits over the standard Woodcraft adapter.  One being the bar sweep is adjustable.  Height is adjustable over 3/4 of an inch instead of either real high or real low.  Also, there are holes for easy access to my compression and rebound adjusters.  Thanks for viewing.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Global Moderator

Whats your overall change on these vs stock?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
Whats your overall change on these vs stock?
Well, I went to drag bars at about 2,000 miles.  So not sure the difference from stock.  I'm at 8,300 miles now.  I'd say my clip-on setup, at it's highest height, is at the same height as the drag bars, but forward an inch or so.  It's hard to measure obviously.  But more importantly, the new bars are swept down unlike the drag bars, and this makes it so much more comfortable moving your body off the bike in a corner.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Beautiful work.
Did you get rid of the rubber triple clamp bushes?
Are the original heavy bar mounts under the cross plate? Cant't see from the photos.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
Beautiful work. Did you get rid of the rubber triple clamp bushes?
Are the original heavy bar mounts under the cross plate? Cant't see from the photos.

The original bar mounts are not used. The cross plate bolts directly to the top triple, but I am still using the rubber bushings. Mine feel real stiff still, so figured I would keep using them.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

If the plate is contacting the triple clamp it will be pretty much negating the rubber flex.
If not, you obviously have superior machining skills ( sooo much better than mine and my floppy lathe) and turning a pair should be dead easy for you. You will be surprised at the difference. You don't realize how much flop they have until you get rid of it. ESPECIALLY on the track. Remember when you are hanging off them pretty much your whole weight plus cornering force is on them.
If you want I will post a pic of the protos with dimensions that I originally posted ( no comments on the total lack of machining skill exhibited) as the pictures originally posted have gone the way of all photobucket. The originals were turned from 25mm rod so the hat brim step is too small, but the other dimensions are right. The later ones , of which there isn't any pics, were turned from 30mm and sit better.

• Premium Member
If the plate is contacting the triple clamp it will be pretty much negating the rubber flex. If not, you obviously have superior machining skills ( sooo much better than mine and my floppy lathe) and turning a pair should be dead easy for you. You will be surprised at the difference. You don't realize how much flop they have until you get rid of it. ESPECIALLY on the track. Remember when you are hanging off them pretty much your whole weight plus cornering force is on them.
If you want I will post a pic of the protos with dimensions that I originally posted ( no comments on the total lack of machining skill exhibited) as the pictures originally posted have gone the way of all photobucket. The originals were turned from 25mm rod so the hat brim step is too small, but the other dimensions are right. The later ones , of which there isn't any pics, were turned from 30mm and sit better.

I'll make them solid over the winter. And my machining skills are not that good at all. I try to keep my weight off the bars in the turns, but that's only because I keep hearing the coaches say that. I'm still learning the art.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

The inside bar and outside footpeg get the load ( and not much seat) in a full lean turn ON THE TRACK. If you are riding like that on the road though you will get into trouble sooner or later. Racers complain of arm pump for a reason.
Have you watched the Keith Code "Twist of the Wrist" videos. Well worth a look , especially the second one.
Keeping the weight off the bars in a leaned corner is physically impossible. The vectors just won't add up.

Very nice surface finish. Clever idea, too! What are the actually clipons you are using, or did you make those, too?

I see you already have done what I want to do with my clocks- raised them and hid them behind a screen. Is that screen home made or store bought? Any pics of that from the side/front?

• Premium Member

I have seen keith code's video, but have been following Lee Parks book Total Control more closely.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
Very nice surface finish. Clever idea, too! What are the actually clipons you are using, or did you make those, too?

The clipons are 38mm Woodcraft.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

The clipons are 38mm Woodcraft.

Ah, I see the emblem now.

I snuck an exit up above about your windscreen/clocks.

• Premium Member
I see you already have done what I want to do with my clocks- raised them and hid them behind a screen. Is that screen home made or store bought? Any pics of that from the side/front?

My head fearing was voted ugliest mod on Facebook a few months ago. Lol

But, the heading fairing is home made from carbon fiber. There are pictures on a build thread over on the pictures and video section. It provides the wind protection that I wanted, allows me to move the clock foward, and gives me room for a front mount Ohlins damper.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Great work, as far as I can tell from the pictures. I'm looking at a similar set-up myself, with moving the cluster to the same position ,why its where it is stock is beyond me its a total distraction when I have to look down. Your woodcraft clip-ons are what I'm looking at for a more body mass over the front. Where would I get my hands on them, and what mounts did you use to get the cluster below the ignition key?

• Premium Member
Great work, as far as I can tell from the pictures. I'm looking at a similar set-up myself, with moving the cluster to the same position ,why its where it is stock is beyond me its a total distraction when I have to look down. Your woodcraft clip-ons are what I'm looking at for a more body mass over the front. Where would I get my hands on them, and what mounts did you use to get the cluster below the ignition key?

The relocation plate for the gauge pod is cut custom from .125" aluminum. Actually quite easy. All with a hack saw, file, and drill. Info is on my build thread, Craig's track bike build thread.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 11 months later...
  • Premium Member

Revision #2 is stiffer and one piece.  No height adjustment, but I liked them low on the street and track.

0903181258.jpg

0903181653.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

14 hours ago, blackout said:

Revision #2 is stiffer and one piece.  No height adjustment, but I liked them low on the street and track.

0903181258.jpg

0903181653.jpg

Sell this to me please 😢

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, phanomenal07 said:

Sell this to me please 😢

This part I machined myself and it took too long to sell.  But, I will pull the part this fall when my riding season is over, and have my machinist get me a price.  I can sell it through my hobby business,  www.vpmcobras.com.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

1 hour ago, blackout said:

This part I machined myself and it took too long to sell.  But, I will pull the part this fall when my riding season is over, and have my machinist get me a price.  I can sell it through my hobby business,  www.vpmcobras.com.

That would be awesome

Archived