The MT-07 Forum

Rear brake and Foot positioning

zyree

Hello Everyone,

I've purchased my FZ-07 a few days ago. Been practicing and so far everything has been great. The only thing I can't seem to do is correctly position my feet. I feel like I'm always touching the rear brake and if I try not to touch it then my foot is either raised in the air, and uncomfortable, or hanging off the side of the brake pedal. I had my girlfriend follow me around town and said mentioned that I would randomly trigger my rear light. As for what my current positioning is now, I have the arc of my boot on the peg.

Thanks for whatever you guys can share!

• Premium Member

You can adjust your rear brake pedal down so that your boot no longer presses on the pedal at rest. Also it is better practice not to leave your foot on the pedal at all times as dragging your rear brake may result, which will wear your rear brake and decrease your gas mileage. In wet or cold conditions, dragging your rear brake unintentionally will also increase your risk of a skid. Best to avoid touching it unless you're braking. 

See below for instructions for how to adjust your brake pedal. Keep in mind that you are pushing the pedal down, make sure doing that won't cause your brake to drag at the pedal's new home. Get the rear wheel off the ground and spin it before and after adjustment to check. 

xgI8xnx.png

q2SnuS6.png

If, when you have finished adjusting the pedal, the brake light comes on at rest, you need to adjust when that light comes on. Luckily it can be done by poking around the same area as that adjustor. It's a plastic nut you'll need to turn. See below. 

dNtsyU4.png

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Try positioning the balls of your feet on the pegs.
Move your feet when needing to shift or brake, then go back to the balls of your feet on the pegs when done shifting or braking.
As mentioned, adjusting the position of the brake pedal (or gearshift pedal) if needed is just fine.

I'll try riding with the ball of my foot and adjust the pedal if it comes to that. Doesn't seem complicated at all.

Thank you guys!

• Premium Member

@yzetc I can see riding with the balls of your feet on the pegs while perhaps racing/carving, but in traffic I prefer to keep the brake and shifter covered to minimize reaction time against stupid cagers.

If you feel it would be safer to do as you suggest I'd like to hear your thoughts. I'm an old dog but willing to learn any new trick. :)

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I'm an older guy, too, at 51 years old.
I agree with, and do, cover the front brake lever and rear brake pedal when I feel I should, but that's not all of the time.

My advice:
Ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs. You will have more control as you do (or should) use your weight on the pegs to help control the bike and using the balls of you feet is the best way to do that. In fact, you use most of your body in controlling the bike. I believe body positioning is covered in most advanced courses. If you adjust your shift lever down far enough so there's no way to accidentally downshift, it's going to be hard getting under it to upshift. If you ride with your arches on the pegs, an accidental downshift or accidentally locking up the the rear brakes from a bump or standing up (I've done both) can make bad things happen (they did). To me, riding with your arches is a bad habit and it's best to break those before they start.
As for emergency braking, practice, practice, practice. Muscle memory will make it almost instant. I still practice basic skills in parking lots, and practice emergency braking on the street if there's no traffic around.
But, you do what works best for you. Like they say, ride your own ride.

I always ride on my balls, my feet are on the pegs, always ;)

That said ^^ Rider has great advise ergo is the primary maintenance item on any bike. This is why bikes feel different that you have not setup for your own style and feel. Saddle time will alleviate the difference between uncomfortable and getting used too aka nuances of the bike. My personal establish position is mid foot I have indentations where my feet rest in the sole. I adjust the lever to be at my foot side just above my comfort saddle position. You have to have some one assisting or the bike on stands so you can sit, feel get off, adjust. then Sit fell get off adjust. Your but position on that bike will drastically effect your foot position so find a neutral position were your nads are slammed to the tank and butt is pushed to the rear. If you are just riding to ride and sit yer fanny pack down and stay there ignore what I just said. Never keep your foot on the brake or below above it, your foot should always rest to the side of the brake pad with easy access by a simple move.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I always ride on my balls, my feet are on the pegs, always ;)
That's why I made sure I said, "balls of your feet" every time. I knew you were coming...

Archived