The MT-07 Forum

Dt-07 total loss electrics question?

markstertt

I was wondering if the dirt track -07's were or even could run on battery only or does the ignition and fuel injection require a charging system? If they run battery only, could the left end of the crank be used for different crank wts. to fine tune for traction? Just curious, I've been watching Sammy Halbert's efforts vs. the Indians and it's really piqued my interest in dirt track racing again, I'm really rooting for Sammy and his Yamaha.

Thanks for that Beemer, Sammy led much of the Red mile until the bitter end when Mees drafted him at the checkered flag. Sammy seemed (to me) to struggle on the loose surface of the OKC mile which made me wonder if the alternator was necessary since if it wasn't then maybe crank wts. could be added to alter traction/wheel spin for different track conditions...I don't really know what I'm talking about hence, the questions. I like the new Indians but Sammy on the Yamaha (production based entry level etc.) brings out the underdog fan in me and I really enjoy watching him race them so hard.

I wonder if any of the -07 based road racers run total loss?

Halbert has been getting help from Yamaha US. Information on his setup is going to be very hard to come by as the GNC race tuner's are more tight lipped than the NSA. Total loss I would think not just because of the electronics needed for ECU and more.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Halbert has been getting help from Yamaha US. Information on his setup is going to be very hard to come by as the GNC race tuner's are more tight lipped than the NSA. Total loss I would think not just because of the electronics needed for ECU and more.
Yeah I believe that, if nothing else then, I'd like to know what has been deemed 'fragile' in the engine department. Sammy mentioned once that at one race his engine 'let go' or at least I think those were the words he used. Of course, also of interest is how they got closer to 750cc, bore/stroke or both. Thanks r1limited 

There are limitations based on displacement. The 700 cannot exceed 750 cc and since it is water cooled it must never exceed that. Take a good read on Section 4

http://www.amaproracing.com/storage/app/media/uploaded-files/2017-American-Flat-Track-Rulebook.pdf

Engines
a.
Engine Displacement
i.
649cc – 999.9cc
with the following restrictions:
Production Engines:
a.
Engines that were originally under 750cc may be
bored and stroked but may not exceed 750cc as
a final displacement.
Racing-only Engines:
a. Racing-only engines may not exceed 750cc with
a maximum allowable overbore of 0.045” per
cylinder.
b. Liquid cooled racing-only engines may not
exceed 750cc. There is no provision for overbore.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

The 2013 Yamaha dirt bikes use a ultra high capacity capacitor to power the fuel injection even tho still kick start only
I recall some of the early early pictures of these flat track fz-07 using a little 18v DeWalt battery as the starter battery

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Thanks r1limited and norcal616 for your responses...Thursday night is when I get to watch AFT on tv, can't wait to see how Sammy does...Mark

Archived