The MT-07 Forum

Yoshi exhaust discoloration

joshz07

So I've had my full Yoshi exhaust on my fz07 for maybe a month or so now and put 2-300 miles on it since installed. The header pipe barely has a gold tint to it but there's all these tiny little blue and purple spots all over that look like surface rust until you get up close. I've never seen a pipe discolor like this before. I cleaned everything off real good with rubbing alcohol when I put it on so i don't know if my tire is kicking up stuff or what but its on the sides too not just behind the tire. Yoshimura claims that this is supposed to be high quality stainless. Anyone else have this happen to them or seen this before? Not a huge issue but it kinda bugs me. I wanted to see this header turn pretty colors and all I got was these tiny little spots everywhere.
https://ibb.co/c3iSwk
https://ibb.co/dX9BNQ
https://ibb.co/njkce5

Yes, mine did the same and your description is 'spot' on. I spent some time polishing it off but to no avail, now I just live with it. My question would be, does the 'race' finish version hold up any better? Is yours the polished version? Mark

Same thing happened on my Yoshimura exhaust system. Unfortunately, it gets progressively worse. I tried cleaning the pipes with a polish offered by Yoshimura called stain magic. After some elbow grease, pipes looked like new. Nonetheless, the stains returned after heat cycling. I know Yoshimura now offers a new coating on their headers which I believe should be more resistant to this type of stains. Maybe they will apply this coating under warranty.

Yes, mine did the same and your description is 'spot' on. I spent some time polishing it off but to no avail, now I just live with it. My question would be, does the 'race' finish version hold up any better? Is yours the polished version? Mark
i see what ya did there. lol mine is polished. if you mean the 'works' finish i imagine it probably would hold up better but its supposed to change colors too so idk. 

Same thing happened on my Yoshimura exhaust system. Unfortunately, it gets progressively worse. I tried cleaning the pipes with a polish offered by Yoshimura called stain magic. After some elbow grease, pipes looked like new. Nonetheless, the stains returned after heat cycling. I know Yoshimura now offers a new coating on their headers which I believe should be more resistant to this type of stains. Maybe they will apply this coating under warranty.
 maybe but id rather not be stuck on 4 wheels for weeks while they do that. i could order it and sell the polished one but ill just live with it for now. maybe i should take a torch to it and turn the whole thing blue lol i wonder if any of the other exhausts have this problem too tho? 

Yes, that's what I meant...'Works finish' but I also have no idea how it holds up. Mine seems to have stabilized but I really don't notice it much any more.

yeah its not really that noticeable. it just depends on what kind of 'finish' it actually is. if its just some cheap color changing paint one good rock or two will probably ruin it.

• Premium Member

looks normal to me... exhaust coloring is dependent on many factors... you get more coloring outta thin wall tubing and long high rpm runs(racing) in my experience compared to a once a week run to Starbucks thats 5miles away... Yoshi has some pretty thick heavy wall tubing...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived