The MT-07 Forum

Why do I have to counter steer too much?

level41

I feel this is the only bike I've ever owned, where I have to steer harder than with any other bike.
At speeds of 30mph or below, the handlebars have the tendency to turn onwards in a turn.
Once I surpass like 40mph or so, they act normal, like, I could take my hands off the handlebars, without them flipping away.

What is the reason why this is happening?
And why is it happening?

Is it he rake angle that's too steep or wide?
Is it so that the bike will handle better at high speeds?
Or is it because the previous owner probably crashed it, and it didn't get fixed correctly?

I don't have the biggest riding experience (have been riding only for about a year now), but out of the six bikes I tried up to now, the FZ07 is by far the easiest to steer / counter steer, very little effort to do either one imo.

Did you had steering damper on your previous bikes ?  Having tried one with those lately, it is indeed a completely different feeling vs not having a steering damper and it takes a good ride or two to get use to it...

Otherwise, my best suggestion to you (if you can) would be to try out another FZ07 that you know for sure didn't crash, this way you could easily compare the handling to yours...

sounds like something is wrong mate.
get a pro to look at it if you are not confident to do it yourself.
tyres inflated correctly ? installed correctly? balanced? front to back lines up? lift the front wheel off the ground and check for any play etc....--just to get you started......

I ride a good few bikes and jumping on the 07 does not feel any different than
other bikes to me, could be it's been crashed or maybe the tyres are they at the
right pressure hows the thread any squaring off, any play or roughness in the
head bearings? is it one way or both, if one way is the rear wheel in line.

[div]I had new tires put on yesterday and they were noticeably different than my previous tires. These tires require more effort to make them turn, (like how the stock, BT023 Battlax's were) there is some resistance like something is pulling them inward to make them steer straight ahead. Could your tires be the culprit? I like my other tires better for not having this affect on the steering, I don't like it.[/div]

Beemer

• Premium Member
??? News to me. Ah, I see; you bought it used... who knows without having it carefully and thoroughly checked by someone competent to do so. 

If you can, you might find someone near you who owns an 07 and have him/her ride your bike and give an opinion.

Is there a preference for left or right? do the bars waggle more than a little bit if you run up to 35mph, shift into neutral and take your hands off the bars? What tires do you have? If your front is twisted you can get it straightened out if you loosen the axle pinch completely, loosen the top triple clamp all the way and then gently snug, loosen the axle to 45ft/lb and then ram the bike into a curb (walking speed) straight on a couple times and then bounce the front end hard while it's still braced. re-tighten everything and do the pinch bolt last.

Check chain tension and clearance.
try the ride again.
I would also appease the engine gods by keeping your revs well north of 3500 rpm. *grin*

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I do not think your use of counter steering is correct or maybe I am not understanding the description. Counter steer is simply turn left to go right. Essentially on 2 wheel vehicles pulling back on a bar turns the bike in the opposite direction. As example turn turn left it is push right. Its even more odder whan going side ways :)

The 07 IMO is an ill handling beast to begin with, its Rake is not steep enough the stock bridgestones are shit and suspension makes it even worse. The stock bars make it at least for me a very shitty feel. So I agree with the OP, the 07 in stock trim has to be man handled and with deliberate input.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I find the bike very nimble, my son (who normally rides a CB400SF) find the FZ rather heavy to make into changing directions. For me, his Honda takes slightly more effort to turn, and it also wants to fall into low speed corners and have to held on course by pushing quite hard on the inside end of the handlebar. Neither of us agree about the other's findings. In other words, the way we ride will impact how a bike behaves and two persons can have very different opinions about the same motorcycle. Maybe you can find another FZ to try and compare - if it feels the same, it is likely the way you ride that isn't all that compatible with the FZ. If it feels noticeably different, there may be something going on with your particular bike.

I can agree with the way you ride. I ride my R1 way different, the Motard way differnet and the FZ I ride like a flat tracker. I push the bike down I set my body weiaght above it. I push down on the outside pegs to make the bike stand firmer. I will turn in as well but I find this to agreesive as the suspension has its limites. Over all the bike is a easy bike to ride if your puttin and struttin, put some assertive aggression on it and it responds with unfavorable jerkiness. Stock form its a sissy bike.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

If I take the hands off the bike at below 35 MPH, the bike has the tendency to steer in a random direction, where I need to countersteer (using my weight), and this would cause wobbling (Going left-right-left-right), rather than going straight.

Usually this happens when you go below like 5 or 10MPH, not at 30MPH.

I also have to steer the bike hard to the left, to make a right turn. Like I was going 100MPH.
But at speeds of over 35MPH the feeling disapears, and at speeds of like 60-80MPH it's very stable.

Tires are the stockers. In fact, everything is stock, save for the small wind breaker I installed, sprockets, and grip puppies... And no, it's not the grip puppies fault!
I love them puppies, they've done no wrong!

SCRATCHING HEAD THINKING

SERIOUSLY. I mena there are bikini baristas being banned and tweekers getting a free ride \\

SUM BITCH this world is NUCKIN FUTS

• Premium Member

From your description it sounds like it may be that the steering head bearings are either bad or perhaps not tight.

If it's determined that it's bad bearings I suggest they be replaced with tapered bearings for longer life.

Good luck solving your issue @level41 .

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Archived