The MT-07 Forum

$1600.00 warranty question. Need advise

djxn40

I purchased my FZ a month ago. The dealer added a 1600.00 extended warranty. I have the option to remove the warranty. The wsrranty states it has a lifetime guarantee on the engine. However that is a huge amount of money. Did anyone else buy this extended warranty?? My fz is 2017 red (abs) version. Had 2 miles on it and I financed 6900 + 1600 warranty on Yamaha credit card.

The bike has a 3 year warranty from factory. And supposedly lifetime for the 1600.00
Should I cancel this before it's too late ?

Credit card??!!! at 20%, that warranty will cost you another $320 a year.

3 year factory warranty? really? mine was 1 year.

unless you've bought a total lemon, imo, not likely yer ever gonna get your money's worth. There have been a couple trouble spots, but for the most part, this bike has a pretty good reliability track record so far.

I never tell someone what they should do. What I would do is dump that rip off immediately. It's a $7000 vehicle not a Lambo or something, financing an extra 1600!?!? That thing will last till you tire of it EASILY on its own anyway. (they offer a free 100,000 mile/20 year engine warranty if you use Yamalube oil) 

pineappleunderthesea

These bikes have proven themselves to be reliable since they've hit the market. Tear that warranty apart, then burn it.

• Global Moderator

I would get rid of the warranty. If you are worried put the same amount in a savings account each month and then it you have a problem you will probably have enough money to pay for it (or worst case most of it). More likely after three years you will have $1600 to use for something fun. I have had my bike for the years now with absolutely no problems.

• Premium Member

take that 1600 and put it towards like good suspension like Bitubo and a 2WDW ecu reflash- no need for exhaust yet unless you really gotta have it before suspension upgrades

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I agree. I was already thinking of dropping it. I mean I bought the extended warranty on my 2016 z71 for 1600. And thats a 50000 dollar truck. I rode up to the shop today and did cancel the warranty. As easy as signing a paper. Now it will be refunded to my Yamaha credit card. Turns out it was actually 1700... crazy

That is absurd. I'm going to go out on a limb and say most* people don't even keep their bikes for more than 3-5 years. Not to mention, that lifetime warranty I'm sure is through a third party company and they can be even more stingy in honoring than factory manufacturers. Drop that thing like it's hot.

Archived