The MT-07 Forum

How are forks held in place?

maz20

Is it really all completely due to that tiny little pinch bolt in the triple clamp?? If so, then I'm quite surprised how the forks even manage to stay in place after several thousands of miles and bumps without ever budging up into the handlebars or rider.

Or, is there something else keeping them fixed (i mean from moving up and down) besides metal-to-metal (or plastic cover) contact?

• Premium Member

you got 4 clamps in total...2 each side... bottom clamps have 2 bolts and top clamp has 1... dirt bikes are the same way but granted a bit bigger clamps than the FZ-07

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Well, I meant connecting whole front forks/front wheel assembly to the rest of the bike -- and that seems to be done only by just one pinch bolt per fork on the triple clamp.

The "lower" clamps only connect that front forks/front wheel assembly just to itself, nothing else.

• Premium Member

the triple tree is what holds the forks in place... the triple tree consist of an upper and lower clamp as well as a "stem" bolt that runs goes the neck... 

upper clamp= holds handlebar and fork clamp and the lock nut for the "stem" bolt
lower clamp= has "stem" bolt and fork clamps...

here is my dirt bike triple clamp to show for easy reference...

notice the 2 white cable guides, one cable guide is on the top clamp and the other in the bottom... 
20170815_174850.jpg

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Ahh i see now, there is both an "upper" and another "lower" triple clamp on the FZ-07, with what looks like the steering bearing in the middle.

Then yes, indeed there are a total of four pinch clamps, two per fork. Still, I am quite surprised that forks still manage to stay in place for several thousands of miles and bumps without moving upwards into the handlebar area.

So it really is just plain, sliding metal-to-metal friction-clamp contact that holds the entire front-end from sliding into the handlebars?

Bubble gum, 100mph tape, some super glue and ferry dust

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Bubble gum, 100mph tape, some super glue and ferry dust
There is tape in the fork clamps?
No I was playing a joke... ;) 
The engineering that has gone into forks over the years is pretty asotnidhing considering where they were just 10, 20 and 30 years ago.  I rode in an era that forks bent when going over jumps, back then we had 3 inches of travel.  Clamps as well and yes they take a beating, this is why you always learn general mainteance on a motocycle.  periodic maintenance to check torque values and other major items. 

I only use tape when I race I tape the forls to the frame removing the triple clamps and bearings.  All that weight makes the bike slower :)
DISCLAIMER Yes that was a joke too, I dont use tape I dont need forks I remove them and wheely past everyone

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I remember having the same thought when I learned how a clutch worked: "Wait..... That's IT??"
Ya know how fascinating it is to whatch the shifter work? 
NEVER DO THAT I AM FUNNY AROUND HERE.

ducttapewd40
I remember having the same thought when I learned how a clutch worked: "Wait..... That's IT??"
Ya know how fascinating it is to whatch the shifter work? 
NEVER DO THAT I AM FUNNY AROUND HERE.

No, definitely do that.

Archived