The MT-07 Forum

Anyone try Riders Share?

jbone

Wondering if anyone has tried this yet? It's basically a regulated private party bike rental. You set the rental price, people rent and return when done. I'm still reading up on it, and I must say I am contemplating buying a used bike to rent out. I have a million questions and the website doesn't answer all of them. Sounds cool in theory, I just get concerned about how well they take care of you when the renter fails to return or damages the bike. Supposedly they have insurance you can pay to cover that, but we all know insurance isn't in the game of paying out.

https://www.riders-share.com/

I don't think this is for the person with only one bike to their name. It would be a bike you bought specifically for a money maker...like a rental house.

I dunno, i can think of about a squillion things that could go wrong with this idea and at best make a few bucks. Sounds like something i wouldn't wish on the bike of my arch nemesis

Just my opinion

This seems like something similar to what people do with vacation properties or yachts. You rent it out part of the time in order to offset the cost of something you couldn't afford in the first place. This idea is also taking hold with luxury cars. So you go buy an top of the line Panigale all on a loan and then you rent it one weekend a month to reduce your monthly payments.

I dont think you ever make any money. I think all you can do is partially offset the cost of the bike. No person who could afford or buy a bike that they cherish outright would think to do this. You would have to have a beater bike (that ultimately no one would probably want to rent anyway) in order for this to work as a way to make money.

People are simply taking the concept behind AirBNB and trying to apply it to any other asset a person might own.

I wouldn't want to rent my bike to anyone, but if the rates are reasonable and the local dealers wont have a demo day for me to test ride one I am looking at purchasing a day rental of someone else's may be worth taking a look at (assuming you trust their ability to not have their bike be an un-maintained death trap).

• Premium Member

HA HA. Not even with a bucket.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I think there is alot of risk. Guy rents bike, guy wrecks bike, guys insurance company sues. Guys family sues. You could have great insurance but you still get sued. Hell your insurance company could even sue you too. Court sucks. Lawyers suck even worse.

Think I'll take a pass. Too much liability for $25 per day.

I don't know about other places but all the tourist traps around here have it covered with scooter rentals. I think I've heard of a place that rents Harley's out but since they inherently leak oil they always wonder if the customer dropped the bike.  ;)

Beemer

I don't know about other places but all the tourist traps around here have it covered with scooter rentals. I think I've heard of a place that rents Harley's out but since they inherently leak oil they always wonder if the customer dropped the bike.  ;)

But keep in mind that they probably operate out of an LLC, separate from their personal income and away from their homes.

Rent from your home and you lose that separation protection level. Lawyers can and will go after you your house and any personal assets and liquid income if the renter wrecks. No matter what the rental contract says. Lawyers challenge contracts every day.

Yeah, I wouldn't have as big of an issue buying a nicer, used cruiser without being that upset if it got wrecked. [HASH]1 concern I have is someone suing me claiming a fail to maintain the bike when I know dang well there wasn't a thing wrong with it.

But keep in mind that they probably operate out of an LLC, separate from their personal income and away from their homes. 
Rent from your home and you lose that separation protection level. Lawyers can and will go after you your house and any personal assets and liquid income if the renter wrecks. No matter what the rental contract says. Lawyers challenge contracts every day.
That is so very true. Also, many people that have no clue of what the laws are write up their own contracts that they think sound/look good but unfortunately for them they are made with wording/expectations that they didn't realize is totally unlawful and they lose in court.  

Beemer

It sounds like it could be kind of fun. And probably would be until that 1st lawsuit. Win or lose, lawsuits can bankrupt you.
Personally, I wouldn't do it without a huge insurance policy and/or a hit man.

• Global Moderator

I wonder how many of these people have told their insurance company that their bike is being used for commercial purposes. I would not go anywhere near one of these arrangements.

Archived