The MT-07 Forum

Why I upgeared, instead of downgeared on my FZ-07

level41

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Liquidmetal

Thinking about either a +1 on the front or -2 on the rear for slightly easier high speed cruising during commutes and such.

My FZ is the first bike I have owned that had a speedometer that was dead on from the factory.  The first GPS told me the speedo was right on the money and I didn't believe it.  Tried a second GPS and it told me the same thing, dead on.  Every other bike I have ever owned was off anywhere from 5 to 10%.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

• Global Moderator
3 hours ago, rick said:

That's disappointing. Which method did you use to calibrate it? 

It wouldn't

We spent about 2 hours doing passes trying to calibrate the thing, and it wouldn't stay in 

Maybe I had gotten a defective module, but i figured the stock speedo was close enough and returned it to RevZilla 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

topazsparrow
2 hours ago, Liquidmetal said:

Thinking about either a +1 on the front or -2 on the rear for slightly easier high speed cruising during commutes and such.

My FZ is the first bike I have owned that had a speedometer that was dead on from the factory.  The first GPS told me the speedo was right on the money and I didn't believe it.  Tried a second GPS and it told me the same thing, dead on.  Every other bike I have ever owned was off anywhere from 5 to 10%.

That's crazy!

Mine was the usual 10% out. When I went +1 in front and -3 in the back, it brought it pretty close to accurate - a shy bit on the conservative side now as anything over 120kph reads as tiny bit under the actual speed.

My FZ's speedo reads about 1 mph high as compared to my GPS as well as with all the automated radar signs. My Aprilia reads high by 1 mph at 100 mph and reads 202 miles when my gps says 200 miles. 

My my experince with electronic speedometers that are now on vehicles is that they are quite accurate. Losing the speedo cable, mechanical sender and magnetic head removes a lot of variability.  My 2008 Subaru reads slow by 3 at 70 mph. I was kinda surprised it wasn't better, but it's still a far cry from that old std. 10% low thing of the 80s and before. . 

Mine is definitely 8kph reading faster than the GPS actual ( ie. 100kph is 108kph shown on the speedo) so 8% out. My Subaru XV is the same amount with stock tyres.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

manufacturing of speedometers are allowed a +/- % degree of accuracy...some countries are more strict than others... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

it's really odd that some of these bikes are spot on and some not so much. Tires will come in to play as well as there's gonna be some small variation in total diameter within a tire size from brand to brand and maybe even model to model within a brand.

My year of Outback came with 5 different tire sizes on 2 different wheel diameters - depending on trim package and model. I've always assumed that one of those tire sizes resulted in a very close speedo. But even with aspect ratio adjustments to get tire diameters all very close,  I suspect there's enough diameter change between trim packages to cause some variation at the speedo. 

And that's why they are allowed some variation. 

10 hours ago, gregjet said:

Mine is definitely 8kph reading faster than the GPS actual ( ie. 100kph is 108kph shown on the speedo) so 8% out. My Subaru XV is the same amount with stock tyres.

hah, maybe it's your GPS that's off - by 8kph 😉

On 5/13/2018 at 7:52 AM, Beemer said:

Video of you being born or you didn't happen.  😉

Ha! I kid. You clearly don't understand where I'm coming from. It's the fastest 0-60 time I've heard of to date for this bike so IMO, why not record it?. I sure as heck would as proof/bragging rights.

As a matter of fact, If I thought for a second that I had the fastest 0-60 time in the world on this bike I might go so far as to give Guinness a call so they could record it. 

I run wesson synth with a #50 chain from a trek mt bike and a 46 inch shop fan strapped to my back (I converted the 12 volt thingamajob under the seat to run the fan connecting that to a voltage bringer upper thingy.  I can now do 0-60 on my FZ in 1.1 

I plan on doin stunts

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

"hah, maybe it's your GPS that's off - by 8kph"

You may be right...all of them..by the same amount...everywhere... ( what no sarcasm emoji when you need one!)

"I plan on doin stunts"

So glad you're back r1. I think you just did one...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived