The MT-07 Forum

Tall Windshield

poosu

I know this subject has come up many times and I was able to find some suggestions on an earlier thread which I can't seem to find now.  I am 73 and am downsizing to a lighter, easier to handle at low speed, bike.  I have been spoiled by good, large windshields for too long and would like to have one for my 2016 FZ 07.  It currently has a 12" shield of some sort now but in my opinion, it's a waste. Who makes tall (at least 22") windshield for my bike?

I couldn't find anything 22" tall in a quick search, but RevZilla lists a couple that may work.
The MRA Vario screen is 19.3".

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mra-varioscreen-universal-windshield

The MRA V-Flow X-creen Sport Universal is 20.1".

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mra-v-flow-x-creen-sport-universal-windshield

I believe you have to buy mounting kits separately, so they can get pricey.
I have the MRA Double Bubble and can say that MRA makes a quality product.
Maybe one of these will be close to what you're looking for.

Thanks. I have spent a couple hours searching the web with no luck. Maybe it's my imagination but I thought I saw an earlier thread with a 22" windshield. Sadly I did not write it down. I did see that the VFX screen has a V shape at the bottom for the dual V headlight. The Vario seems more like an fz 07 headlight. The price is about what I expect. Hopefully some other options will come up, but I appreciate these.

• Premium Member

Madstad offers a 22in shield for the FZ-07. But they're not cheap since you'll need to order a base, a mounting bracket and finally the shield to complete the set. But it has much adjustability as far as height and angle.

https://madstad.com/collections/yamaha/products/yamaha-fz-07-2014
Best of luck finding a solution that works for you.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I don't know what windshield you have right now but maybe it's not made as well as other 12" shields that do a better job of deflecting wind but for a naked, sport bike you really don't want a shield much bigger, if any, than 12" on this type of bike because then it will look like a goofy naked or a windshield that belongs on a cruiser. E.G.

th89_OQ58_DI.jpg

Beemer

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered and installed the Madstad 22" windshield and am very pleased.  I'm 5'10 and Madstad recommended a shorter version but if wind protection is your goal, go with the tallest one.  It's certainly not too tall.  Compared to my other bikes it's still a bit small, but then the FZ 07 is also a smaller bike than my previous rides.  It is the most expensive windshield I have ever purchased, but as indicated by others, windshields aren't that  high a priority for most FZ 07 owners.  The low sales volume probably justifies the high price.

• Premium Member
I ordered and installed the Madstad 22" windshield and am very pleased.  I'm 5'10 and Madstad recommended a shorter version but if wind protection is your goal, go with the tallest one.  It's certainly not too tall.  Compared to my other bikes it's still a bit small, but then the FZ 07 is also a smaller bike than my previous rides.  It is the most expensive windshield I have ever purchased, but as indicated by others, windshields aren't that  high a priority for most FZ 07 owners.  The low sales volume probably justifies the high price.
Congrats on the Madstad. You'll have to let us know your impressions after you put some miles behind it. I'm still on the fence as to whether Madstad is worth the cost. Would love some head-on, side profile & from the drivers seat pictures as well.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I put together this video on what is involved in installing the Madstad 22" windscreen.
It will give you a good view of what it looks like on the bike a various angles.
I really like it for long rides on the freeway. I was able to adjust it to virtually eliminate buffeting but I still get quite a bit of wind noise.
Riding 300+ km at 120 km/h without a screen is very tiring. With this screen it can easily be done.
Whenever I do a short ride of less than 100km, I simply undo the 4 knobs and remove the screen (takes 15 seconds).
Overall I am very happy with it.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC16X7kwxLo]

Archived