The MT-07 Forum

considering FZ-07

dirtrider99x

dirtrider99x

Hey all... just joined this forum... i'm looking for a new bike to add to my garage... currently on a Gold Wing... sold all my dirt bikes and now i'm looking for a bike that EXCITES me for the street.  I've been riding about 40 years and mostly dirt... 

I have been able to test ride a Z650, Street Triple and Thruxton and African Twin.  

The Z650 was an ok bike but in stock form the forks were waaaay to squishy for me.  the motor didn't really pack any punch either.  very nimble and lightweight feeling.  The Thruxton was a little exciting with its cafe look but decently comfy in ergos for me.  The engine had a little excitement to it and it really got up an went when you flogged the throttle.  

The Street Triple was a rocket and just seemed to want to fly and scream down the highway.  This bike was very exciting to me.  But the price point on this bike is a little higher than i wanted to spend new at least.

The Africa Twin is just fun... rode my buddies AT this morning... but not what i'm currently looking for in a second bike.

Soo... in my continued search i was looking at the yami FZ series... love the looks of the FZ-09 and FZ-07.  havent been able to test ride any other Japanese bikes.  The small tank on the 09 seems to be a negative to me since i think it would be great to get at least 150 miles out of the tank so we can actually ride to the fun roads.  

So my main questions are:

The FZ-07 seems like it will get the miles per tank but does the FZ-07 pack enough punch from the motor to excite me??  
I'm 6 feet tall and about 200 lbs... is the Suspension upgrades a must if you ride aggressive canyons??
Should i just ignore how many miles you can get out of a tank of gas and just pick a freakin bike already??  lol

Most of my questions would be answered if i could just get a test ride on the bikes i'm interested in... wish southern California dealerships (yami, honda, kawi, suzi) would allow test rides.  

Thanks for any feedback.  

• Premium Member
So my main questions are:

The FZ-07 seems like it will get the miles per tank but does the FZ-07 pack enough punch from the motor to excite me??  It's got good low end grunt... but it's not going to excite you that much on the top end. It makes the most torque @ 6k RPMs.
I'm 6 feet tall and about 200 lbs... is the Suspension upgrades a must if you ride aggressive canyons??  I wouldn't do any knee dragging without a suspension upgrade.
Should i just ignore how many miles you can get out of a tank of gas and just pick a freakin bike already??  lol Yes :)
Most of my questions would be answered if i could just get a test ride on the bikes i'm interested in... wish southern California dealerships (yami, honda, kawi, suzi) would allow test rides.  

Thanks for any feedback.  This is not the bike you want if you're looking for 100+MPH thrills. That being said it will do a power wheelie in any of the first three gears.

Best of Luck to you finding what excites you. :) 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

dirtrider99x

Thanks for your input... guess i'm looking for a bike that feels like it has more punch than the KTM 450 dirt bike i just sold. not looking for triple digit speeds but want something that feels like it can get there quickly. not sure if i'm explaining that. The Z650 didn't have that feel and i really dont think it would do power wheelies. lol

Thanks for your input... guess i'm looking for a bike that feels like it has more punch than the KTM 450 dirt bike i just sold. not looking for triple digit speeds but want something that feels like it can get there quickly. not sure if i'm explaining that. The Z650 didn't have that feel and i really dont think it would do power wheelies. lol
Hello there, your doppelganger here. I know of what you speak and the FZ07 is that which you seek. 
See the ball, be the ball, Danny.
You know which one to get.

If you didn't like the forks on the Z650, I'm guessing you will hate the forks of the FZ07.

As far as the FZ07 being exciting... its really hard to say. Depends on each individual. If I were to make an educated guess based on your initial post, you'll appreciate the FZ's lightness but maybe it won't be as exciting as you'd like.

+1 on the suspension comments. Since you've noticed the sucky suspension on the z650, you will definitely notice the sucky suspension on either FZ. (Albeit the latest 09 is better than past years)
Obviously it will do just fine for many people, but if you start to push them you will feel it. Same is true for ANY bike in this class/price point. (Ingoring the thruxton, just too different a class IMO)

THAT SAID, I do think that for you either FZ will be a blast. Given your riding background the 09 might give you more grins with the extra power and top end. The 07 is a very fun bike with a very punchy motor, but doesn't wind up on the high end as much as the 09 will. Depends on what you want out of it. There's also a new Z900 on the kawi side to bring to the mix...

just my 2c

• Premium Member

-Skip the FZ-09 and look into the FJ-09... remove windscreen and put FZ-09 bar ends- common upgrade for southern states...
-Both the FZ-07 and the FJ-09 currently get me about 180 miles per tank- not riding like I want 100mpg and keeping rpm under 2k
-The FJ-09 suspension just might be the bare minimum without spending major $ - lots of the heavier folks on the FJ-09 forum are happy with new fork springs and oil and a aftermarket rear shock if they want...I'm 180# suited up- suspension still works even at a really technical course like Grattan Raceway in Michigan

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Check the Yamaha website to see if any Demo events are being held in your area. Since the FZ-09 is on your list, you may want to check out the XSR900. The XSR900 has the same engine as the FZ-09.

dirtrider99x

Thanks for all the input... FJ-09 was on my radar but not sure why i keep looking elsewhere... maybe because it reminds me of my Vstrom 650 i had for awhile.

I know this isn't a FJ forum but is the FJ-09 at home being aggressive in the tight twisty canyons or on the track?

dirtrider99x

i've been watching the demo days on the various sites but looks like the southern california demo days wont be around for awhile. i think there is a suzi demo up at the Sonoma racetrack soon or recently past. but thats 8 hours away from me.

• Premium Member
Thanks for all the input... FJ-09 was on my radar but not sure why i keep looking elsewhere... maybe because it reminds me of my Vstrom 650 i had for awhile.  
I know this isn't a FJ forum but is the FJ-09 at home being aggressive in the tight twisty canyons or on the track?
It's very easy to run at the track, doing 3 day trips, hitting the drag strip or carving canyons in comfort compared to crotch rocket...don't let the FJ-09 looks fool you, yea the Grandpa Blazer look tells you it's "sports touring" bike but never judge a book by its cover...  I actually find it easier/physicaly less taxing  to carve canyons on the FJ-09 than an actual sports bike due to riding posture... top speed of the FJ-09 is approx 150mph (reflashed ECU) kissing the rev limiter... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

Who knows how you might or might not respond to the 07? Given the others you have found ways to ride, might I simply suggest you find an 07 to ride for yourself? This kind of totally subjective judgement is always doubtful. All the best.

Archived