The MT-07 Forum

automatic canceling turn signals

stvar

Hi

I have recently swapped to Yamaha and I really enjoy it. there is only one thing that bothers me. We are in the year 2017 and we still don't have self-cancelling turn signals on motorcycles. I found myself several times driving around with flashing blinkers.

Do you have any suggestions?

Regards
Steve

• Premium Member

happens to us all...I got in the habit of pushing the button when Im done turning... or go old school and use hand signals

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I wish someone would offer a blank plate so snap into place of the turn signal mount so i can just not have any turn signals on the bike. I prefer to use hand signals.

• Global Moderator
I wish someone would offer a blank plate so snap into place of the turn signal mount so i can just not have any turn signals on the bike. I prefer to use hand signals.
I know in Washington state that would be illegal.  If the bike came with turn signals by law they must be operative.  They do not even teach our test on hand signals here anymore so younger drivers have no idea what they mean.  

Muscle memory will correct the issue. I forgot more often than not the first few weeks of riding, now I find myself hitting the cancel button even when I don't need to.

• Like 3

firstyammerha

My brother owned a 1978 Suzuki GS1000E which had self cancelling turn signals. I'm all for putting them on bikes as they would help cut down on the four wheelers turning in front of you since your blinker was on.

My 1976 Yamaha XS500 had automatic cancelling of the indicators, either after IIRC 100 meters or 20 seconds, whatever came last. So had my 1982 Yamaha 750 Virago, 1983 Yamaha 750 Seca, 1989 Yamaha 600 Tenere and 1990 Yamaha 1100 Virago. So it was strange to learn that the Yamaha MT-07 doesn't have this feature.

• Premium Member

Thanks, stickshift. I'm checking out the ST2.

Update:  Anyone have one of these?  The Website above doesn't have much info... at all.  Nothing about cost or installation location--what it actually plugs into.  Not particularly confidence inspiring, in and of itself.  Hopefully, their product is better than the informative aspect of their Website.

Update 2 (8/8):  I got an email today from the company telling me what their site already had, that their item fits my bike.  Also, a link to the manual for the canceller (which I've not had a chance to look at), but no price.  I replied to the sender asking for the price.

Muscle memory will correct the issue. I forgot more often than not the first few weeks of riding, now I find myself hitting the cancel button even when I don't need to.
This. I find myself randomly pressing the button multiple times in a row even though the signal is already off. So that way just in case it didn't shut off for what ever reason, I will still shut it off eventually.
  • Like 2

I find myself randomly pressing the button multiple times in a row even though the signal is already off.
Like this dude - happens in most of his videos. NOT condoning this kind of street riding, though! 

I'm checking out the ST2. 
Update:  Anyone have one of these?  The Website above doesn't have much info... at all.  Nothing about cost or installation location--what it actually plugs into.  Not particularly confidence inspiring, in and of itself.  Hopefully, their product is better than the informative aspect of their Website.

This review contains all relevant information:
http://www.motorcycle.com/products/mo-tested-smart-turn-system-self-canceling-signals

Not the simplest but appears to be one of the smarter systems out there (most are based on time intervals which is not an ideal solution).

I know in Washington state that would be illegal.  If the bike came with turn signals by law they must be operative.  They do not even teach our test on hand signals here anymore so younger drivers have no idea what they mean.  
Texas doesn't require turn signals. I ran my FZR600 for 15+ years with none. I'm used to hand signals. I'm going to look into having some cover plates made up. Might sell them.

• Premium Member

Thanks, stickshift. I read the motorcycle.com review and it didn't seem to mention price, either.

More importantly, the installation seems to suggest one must want this system probably more than I to mess with all the wire splices and mucking with taking the switch apart (I'm not currently--no pun intended--near the bike and cannot look at the switch and see what is involved with opening it.)

• Premium Member

stvar, thanks for the vid and someone at the company told me I simply missed the price at their site... somewhere. I think he said they are $139 or something close.

Looking at the riding part of the vid, they seem to stay on a bit long after the turn for my taste.  Others may think it fine, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I was checking their website and you can go on their checkout and see the price there, or you can see the price listed at the bottom of the page, 149€ which i believe it is approx $175. And recently we dont have exchange rate helping us :) but good news is that i found it on Amazon for $159.99. I have ordered one and will do the installation in this week. Hopefully :)

• Premium Member

A Mr. "Nest" with the company has sent me a bunch of emails since I originally contacted them... one or two of which seemed to be from a real person and not computer-generated (like most of them). The last I got while I was away last week was for $149 (apparently depending on currency conversion rate) with free shipping. Reflecting further on using the 07 turn-signals since initially reading this tread, I've decided that nonself-cancelling is not really the thing I most dislike about the stock system, but instead is the wonky activating switch. Having seen how that is assembled in the vids I may redo it and be much happier.

Ok. I received item and during weekend i had time to install it. It took me less time than i expected. approx 30 minutes.

I only had to take my headlamp off (2 screws), and behind there is all the wiring you need for installation. All the colours were provided in manual (chocolate, dark green and brown/white). I had to distinguish between handlebar side and motorcycle side but i followed the manual and i had no problems. I asked the company if they could give me manual for my motorcycle and they replied me with MT-07 installation manual, but basically it is the same motorcycle.

After that i had to modify the switch, which again took me 5 minutes. 2 screws and take the thinner foam pads. I tried with bigger foam pads first but they didnt work.

Turn ignition on, you will see left, right blink after that the system is ready to go. You can always cancel it manually (which in video says it cant be done). My first impression is that it is amazing. Never misses the turn, and the system even recognizes lane changes, not on a highway but i guess that is too much :) if it doesnt cancel after lane change it will cancel after 10s (cant tell for sure how long) and it doesnt cancel when you are not moving. I tried to fool the system few times, but i really couldnt.

Now i can laugh at those who have turn signals always on :)

• Like 3

Ok. I received item and during weekend i had time to install it..... 
Thanks for taking the time to review this setup! 

Ride Safe!

Kirk

Thank's for the info, just ordered one for myself :)

Even after many year I frequently find my turnsignal on at the wrong time, especially in the beginning of the season. It's both embarrasing and potentially dangerous.

btw stvar, where did you pick up the 12V feed to the box?

Ok. I received item and during weekend i had time to install it. It took me less time than i expected. approx 30 minutes. 
I only had to take my headlamp off (2 screws), and behind there is all the wiring you need for installation. All the colours were provided in manual (chocolate, dark green and brown/white). I had to distinguish between handlebar side and motorcycle side but i followed the manual and i had no problems. I asked the company if they could give me manual for my motorcycle and they replied me with MT-07 installation manual, but basically it is the same motorcycle.

After that i had to modify the switch, which again took me 5 minutes. 2 screws and take the thinner foam pads. I tried with bigger foam pads first but they didnt work.

Turn ignition on, you will see left, right blink after that the system is ready to go. You can always cancel it manually (which in video says it cant be done). My first impression is that it is amazing. Never misses the turn, and the system even recognizes lane changes, not on a highway but i guess that is too much :) if it doesnt cancel after lane change it will cancel after 10s (cant tell for sure how long) and it doesnt cancel when you are not moving. I tried to fool the system few times, but i really couldnt.

Another question... 
After the system has cancelled the signal, do you need to manually do the cancel push before using it again in the same direction?