The MT-07 Forum

Steering problem help please

jamesnorwood860

jamesnorwood860

So I dropped my bike a few weeks back and have been slowly messing with it to try to get it back right. Mostly because I'm waiting on a few parts. So in this link, number 9 isn't getting tight at all and I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this. To reiterate, the bolt will tighten but only so much then seems to get loose again.. someone provide a little insight please. Thanks in advance. I really want to get back on this bike, but it seems this may be a serious issue..

http://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/yam/55db249087a8660384734bde/steering#

For clarification, are you having issues with Part 14 threading into Part 9? Or having issues with Part 12 threading onto Part 9? Really doesn't matter I suppose since it sounds like the threads are stripped. If that's the case, there really isn't much to do besides replace Part 9. It is by no means a "serious issue" - easy remove and replace procedure. If you do replace it, get the torque specs and do yourself a favor and get a torque wrench. They are pretty cheap at Harbor Freight and definitely worth the $.

Just checked, Harbor Freight has a 20% off coupon and 1/2'' or 3/8'' torque wrenches are $20 with lifetime warranty. So $16...not bad for an occasional DIY'er.

jamesnorwood860

Sorry the problem is with 12 and 9... so I probably shouldnt ride the bike until the parts come in? Or you think I can get away with some blue loctite and getting it right as possible?

• Premium Member

I wouldn't ride it that way.. but that's just me.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Sorry the problem is with 12 and 9... so I probably shouldnt ride the bike until the parts come in? Or you think I can get away with some blue loctite and getting it right as possible?

I definitely would not ride it that way. That bar clamp assembly is a pretty loose feeling setup even when brand new. Definitely a lot of forward and back play. With that said, it could easily trick people into thinking it's not tight enough (when in reality it is) and then boom, stripped threads. YT vlogger Jakethegardensnake has a video where he places a washer under neath the bar clamp assembly and it stiffins up that slop.

Archived