The MT-07 Forum

How many miles on your 07, any mechanical issues?

c0al67

Just curious. I read about people racing their 07's having premature transmission issues (fifth gear dogs rounding off, slipping out of 5th). Has me a little nervous since I'm doing more and more track days lately. I planned on keeping this bike for 5 years or so, but I'm hoping a tranny rebuild won't be in my future. While I'm on the topic, any clue of a ballpark of what that would cost ?

German magazine MOTORRAD did a long-term test with the MT-07.

31k miles, engine stripped, and this is the result:
1 exhaust valve leaking minutely
1 wrist pin and its lock showed marks from wear
Crank shaft bearings worn a little unevenly
Big end bearings numerically worn out, but visually excellent - a result of Yamaha not allowing any wear.
1 shifter fork in the gearbox showed minute traces of wear

None of these issues would warrant the engine to be opened. Virtually every internal part looked like new. The engine had lost no power and ran as well as ever. Once apart, it was recommended by the Yamaha representative to lap the valves and fit new valve seals and leave the rest as is.

The only defect during the test was loss of the gear indicator, a known issue on the early 2014 models and later rectified with a new switch. Other than limp suspension, no owner that wrote the magazine reported of any technical issues with their motorcycle. With a consumption of 4.4 litre / 100 km, only one of the tons of bikes the magazine have put through this test over the decades have been more frugal.

http://www.motorradonline.de/dauertest/dauertest-abschlussbilanz-yamaha-mt-07.806360.html

Coming up on 10k miles so not a lot but no issues. I have noticed, though, that when clutchless shifting, you have to be very deliberate with the shifter. I've definitely been pulling pretty hard in 5th and had it slip into fourth after clutchless shifting. Has only happened a couple times and is obviously user error

Just curious. I read about people racing their 07's having premature transmission issues (fifth gear dogs rounding off, slipping out of 5th). Has me a little nervous since I'm doing more and more track days lately. I planned on keeping this bike for 5 years or so, but I'm hoping a tranny rebuild won't be in my future. While I'm on the topic, any clue of a ballpark of what that would cost ?
You'll never have a problem wearing it out. You are more likely to break it in a crash.  In all honesty track days are no more hard on a bike than aggressive street riding, which many of us do for years. In fact most insurance companies cover damage incurred during track days. As long as they are an untimed event and not racing. Track riding is simply a safer form of road riding that let's us focus on the pure joy of riding in space w/o the threats encountered on the street.  Watch a group of track riders for a while, sure the speeds are up but they shift, brake, corner, accelerate and ride at around 80%, which is why it is so fun. When they scare themselves they slow down, check up, pull off, rest up, reset and repeat. 
Racing, on the other hand, is brutal and unforgiving on equipment due to adding 10% then forcing the final 10% out of our equipment in anger. Banging clutchless up and down shifts far outside the Rev window, the motor lives wfo for its entire life, while the transmission is mashed back and forth thru the ratios, the brakes are mercilessly abused till fluid boils in the lines and rotors scorch and warp, the bike itself is constantly bounced off the rev limiter, crashed, semi repaired, crashed, fixed and flogged. Basically treated as if I stole it and am running for my life from zombie cop lynch mobs (aka the wife). 

Having said this, when I tore mine apart to deck the head and put r6 cam adjusters in we had a chance to check it for abnormal wear. Result, perfection. WFO from the crate to over 1500 miles, probably 10 years worth of normal riding. And even if I would have had to fix it, who cares. Not that expensive.

Live like there is no tomorrow.

• Premium Member

Almost 16k miles, only changed oil every 3k miles, just got new spark plugs....

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

sniperelite

15k miles, only thing that gave up on me was the license plate light. been riding it trough salt, dirt and all in between, no issues whatsoever

I've got 8k miles on mine and my wife has 7k on hers.  Both were used with about 2k on each.  No problems whatsoever on either, they run like they did when we got them.

23k? Ish , miles. Kickstand wire got frayed so I replaced a 3inch section of it with some wires from an old RC car I had laying around. Nothing other than that.

• Premium Member

30k, no issues.

Well, it should have more miles, but no issues.

Everything went braap.

• 1 year later...

20k, normal oil/spark plugs/filters changes according to manufacturer maintenance chart. First wear is: Left fork seals start leaking at 20007 miles.  Have an appointment next week to replace seals and fork oil.

Only 13k miles, but no issues. Every oil change has been analyzed by Blackstone Labs and the wear metals are always far below the averages in their database. 

Only little niggle I can think of is the turn signal switch is starting to feel a bit sticky. Might need a good cleaning. 

• Global Moderator

I am over 18,000 miles now and still no problems, just scheduled maintenance so far. 

• Premium Member

At 12,500 miles, the gear indicator goes blank occasionally, otherwise, no problems.

15000 miles. No mechanical issues. A bunch of issues cause by the Yamaha dealer servicing my bike but that isn't the fz fault. I'm having big electrical issue right now where none of my lights work and it causes 3 fuse to blow Everytime I turn on the bike. It's been in the shop for 2 and a half week at the moment. 

• Premium Member

17,000 miles total, I put 15,000+ of those miles on her. Almost 2 years and no issues, headlight bulb blew the other day,(replaced). 4th. and 6th. gear flicker from time to time on the gear indicator display, I've taken the gear indicator off and cleaned it a few times and it fixes the problem for a week or so then it happens again. No mechanical failures, problems, just basic maintenance at or before scheduled intervals. 

Now, time to put some more miles on the clock.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

17,000 km in three riding seasons and only one minor hiccup:  the air pressure sensor went during the first season and was replaced under warranty.  The dealer said that mine was the first they had seen with the sensor failure.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

Archived