The MT-07 Forum

Barnett Kevlar clutches

atxjax

Anyone running these? They also offer a pressure plate for the MT-07 which should fit the FZ
MT-07 is the same engine parts wise and no I have never run Kevlar plates but am interested also...so would like to hear about their characteristics...Mark 

Anyone running these? They also offer a pressure plate for the MT-07 which should fit the FZ
MT-07 is the same engine parts wise and no I have never run Kevlar plates but am interested also...so would like to hear about their characteristics...Mark
I've run two Kevlar clutches in bikes over the years. Both were new Barnett units w/springs. I would spend my money elsewhere. They are virtually indestructible, but, they do have issues and fill a very specific niche. They have a very hard and narrow engagement threshold. They grab hard and fast and are difficult to launch smoothly on the street. Maybe for drag racing they would be ok. We don't even see them at road courses. We find the best, most user friendly and cost effective replacement clutches are factory replacement units. I have nothing bad to say about them I guess, I just didn't need them in retrospect. Even the engine builders I know use factory replacements, even after trying the Kevlar units. .02

Edit: one was in a smaller sport bike, the other in a heavier touring bike used to pull a trailer. They both worked ok but were similar in function and practicality. Very narrow engagement window, grabby and difficult to slip when wanted. I don't know as the lower power of the FZ07 requires the extra clutch.

mossrider, that's good to know and I believe I heard similar thoughts in regards to these plates in the past, I'm in no hurry to create issues I don't need...thanks, Mark

Archived