The MT-07 Forum

advice on storing fz07 for a year (SoCal)

x3rolink

hey guys, so im moving away for a year, which means i wont be able to ride my beloved fz for a year :'(

so far what im doing is:

1. change oil+filter (reaching 8000miles)
2. wash bike
3. top off gas
4. disconnect positive lead on battery
5. buy cover (i have to store it outside -.-)

am i missing anything? should i wait on the oil change until after i come back? would i have to flush the gas out afterwards? 

any advice will be appreciated ^^

Definitely wait on the oil change. Wouldn't it be better to empty the tank and fill it up with clean new gas when you get back?

This article pretty much sums up the major points. Note the dirty vs clean oil section. I would make sure you start dumping a good storage fuel stabilizer like Stabil into it for your last few rides to make sure it gets into your FI system. Don't want to gum up injectors, etc.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/blog/how-to-prepare-your-motorcycle-for-long-term-storage/

In addition, I would also do:

[ul type=circle][*]Fog the engine (especially if it's going to sit a whole year)[*]Lube required lube points (refer to manual)[*]Find a legit exhaust plug (using rags can actually attract critters)[*]Clean / lube the piss out of the chain
[/ul]

There are some companies that sell storage bags for bikes completely enclosed like a giant Ziploc bag, they come with a couple pounds of dessicant (sp?) for moisture control. The ones I've seen are usually in the back of ClassicBike...those Brits need all the help they can get when it comes to dry storage of bikes. If it's of interest to you, I'll get a website for you or you can probably find it on line and ask some questions...Mark

Definitely wait on the oil change. Wouldn't it be better to empty the tank and fill it up with clean new gas when you get back?
the reason why id want a full tank of gas is so that the inside of the tank wont rust over time. i'd have to toss the year-old gas afterwards, but as far as i know its the best way to prevent rust... i think;;

Archived