The MT-07 Forum

Advanced Sport bike Rider Class

Slug

So how the army works is that you need to take an MSF style course once a year to be allowed to ride a motorcycle. First year is the Basic rider course and next year is a more advanced course focusing on cruisers or sport bikes. I took the Basic course years ago and, even though I already knew how to ride fairly well, I still learned a few useful things. However, almost every single thing I was shown in the advanced class was extremely helpful and useful. Almost every problem I was having with riding and maneuvering was covered and fixed, and it was honestly the most fun I've had on a motorcycle. I thought I was a decent rider before, but now I'm so much more confident in taking corners and maneuvering the bike that it feels like I've just learned how to ride a motorcycle again. Like before I was just a pleb on a scooter, and now I really feel like I can ride.

TLDR: I HIGHLY encourage anyone to take some type of advanced rider training, even though its not mandatory for everyone. I've learned more in today's 8 hour course than from the last 2 years of trying to figure it out myself.

I know this post might seem kinda irrelevant, but I'm just on such a high from today, I wanted to post about it.
Also, everyone at the class was super jelly of my FZ-07. Every time I would go through an exercise, the instructor would just smile and tell me how lovely the exhaust note is.

pineappleunderthesea

I took the PA advanced course last year or so, it focused more on cornering techniques and leaning into turns. The bonus was that only two of us showed up, so the riding sessions were nice and long.

It's one thing to read a book or watch a video on how to improve your riding, but it is really nice to have an instructor watching you and telling you what you're doing wrong. You learn faster.

• Global Moderator

I keep looking for an advanced class locally but so far it is not offered here. Hopefully that will change soon, I will keep checking the website.

Never let your skills lack it only builds complacency. I will at times get to a vacant lot and just practice basics.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Lucky you, I have to pay good money to get high, ha! Just kidding!! You mentioned that your instructor liked your exhaust note, do you have a stock or aftermarket pipe?

Beemer

Lucky you, I have to pay good money to get high, ha! Just kidding!! You mentioned that your instructor liked your exhaust note, do you have a stock or aftermarket pipe?
I have the M4 exhaust and its wonderful. 

I have the M4 exhaust and its wonderful.
Yep, it's a head turner for sure, it's loud. No wonder he liked your exhaust note. 

Beemer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll probably take one next season from the same folks I did my MSF course with. I would have done it this season but the instructor said you really needed to know your bike and I didn't want to show up and look like a tool.

I'll probably take one next season from the same folks I did my MSF course with. I would have done it this season but the instructor said you really needed to know your bike and I didn't want to show up and look like a tool.
I personally think that you should take the Advanced course after you've ridden your bike for a little and gotten comfortable with it, you'll get the most out of the course that way. We had a guy who had just started riding the week prior to taking the advanced class and he couldn't do most of what was being demonstrated because he didn't have the confidence. I know I wouldn't have been able to do it after only a year of riding when I started. 

it's up there with doing a track day. 200 bucks for a whole day of a private race track with multiple coaches at your disposal all day to help you out. Seriously can't beat it. I did my first one last year and 3 more this year. After the first session of the first day I was in awe. Can't even explain how fun it is, you just absolutely have to do it. I knew in the first lap or two this was something I was going to be doing the rest of my life.

I personally think that you should take the Advanced course after you've ridden your bike for a little and gotten comfortable with it, you'll get the most out of the course that way. We had a guy who had just started riding the week prior to taking the advanced class and he couldn't do most of what was being demonstrated because he didn't have the confidence. I know I wouldn't have been able to do it after only a year of riding when I started.
Good to know. I think next season will be the perfect time to look into an advanced course.  

Archived