Sign in to follow this  
faffi

Stuck bolts? See what helps the most

faffi

Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment. The results are as follows;
Penetrating oil........... Average load
None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 .................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster ................ 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ........... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ................ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix...........53 pounds
The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50-50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

• Like 4

i28
Really useful info.
I've got a bolt that's cross threaded that I may have to drill out. I tried PB blaster and it didn't help. I should try one of the other options and probably some heat too.
  • Like 2

faffi
Heat is good! And if the table is correct, using acetone and ATF should reduse the needed torque to remove the bolt by 75%, which is more than significant.
  • Like 1

r1limited
My nutz are never stuck
  • Like 1

faffi
At your age they are probably hanging low enough that you should pay road tax for them :D  (I know mine does  (:))  )
  • Like 4

hobbs
Heat is good, but before you bust out a blowtorch, try a hair dryer. Works surprisingly well, less hazardous and at times open flames are just a no go.

Beemer
My nutz are never stuck
Oh, boy! When they do get stuck you're really going to regret it. 

colbert_gif.png

• Like 2

faffi
Heat is good, but before you bust out a blowtorch, try a hair dryer. Works surprisingly well, less hazardous and at times open flames are just a no go.
Yeah, last time I used a blow torch I burned all the hair off me nuts. Smelled as bad as it hurt >:D   Much comfier with a hair dryer P-)  
  • Like 3

DewMan
I [strong]REALLY[/strong] didn't need those mental images. *reaches for brain bleach* (puke)
  • Like 2

Mr.Puss
Great info! Thanks for this.

For the record, stay well away from the tinfoil based hardware included with ERMAX parts.

[attachment id=2532" thumbnail="1]

• Like 2

gregjet
Faffi. Try an acetone/2stroke oil mix ( some 2 stroke oils are not miscible with acetone) . I suspect an even better result. I THINK 2 stroke oil contains an oil surfactant. Methyl benzene ( acrylic general paint thinner) also can be substituted for acetone.
For really stubborn metal/metal Castor Oil based oil and petrol. let soak then hit with a heat source away from the mix entry point. castor oil when in the presence of heat runs TOWARDS to heat source insted of away.
  • Like 2

rider
Posts about nuts, pipe nipples, thrust washers, etc bring out the 8 year old in all of us. Thanks for the info and the laughs.

Beemer
For the record, stay well away from the tinfoil based hardware included with ERMAX parts.

I thought mine were plastic.  :-S  

Mr.Puss

So its not just me or just a freak bad batch? God damn those guys at Ermax need a good slap. Inexcusable. 

Beemer
So its not just me or just a freak bad batch? God damn those guys at Ermax need a good slap. Inexcusable.
At the risk of sounding dumb, did you buy a windscreen from them? If so, which one? 

Mr.Puss
At the risk of sounding dumb, did you buy a windscreen from them? If so, which one?
Not at all.  I bought their under-tail and their rear-hugger. As for windscreen I tempted fate and tried the Chinese special (after another member bought one). Really dig the look of it...and everything lined up in application. ;) 
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-YAMAHA-MT07-MT-07-Motorcycle-Windshield-Windscreen-Spirit-Wind-Deflectors-MT-07-Screen-Protector-2014/32770396064.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.31.B6OZNS

• Like 1