The MT-07 Forum

Is there a shock wrench that's easier to use?

ShiftHer

Hey gang. I took a pillion yesterday (they LOVED it, I'm so excited :D ), but it was a serious PITA to move the shock collar for 2 up and then move back down for my normal solo riding. I'm pretty sure that wrench that comes with the bike is made of tin foil. I was sweating like a pig both times and came away with 2 bruises from the wrench slipping off. Is there a better quality wrench I could buy that would make adjusting easier? 

• Premium Member

@ShiftHer perhaps something like this Motion Pro 08-0483 Shock Spanner Punch will give you enough leverage/length to keep your knuckles out of trouble. :)
Good luck finding a solution that works for you.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

If you can get a friend or two to help, try to lean the bike onto the kickstand and make the bike pretty much be on it to the point where the rear wheel is off the ground. This makes it alot easier to adjust the suspension as the weight of the bike is no longer on the rear wheel/swingarm so its a bit 'looser'.

Just please dont try to do this by yourself and if you're worried about damaging your bike then find an old mattress or a patch of soft grass as a 'soft' landing. Softer than concrete anyway

Yeah, the one that came with my Ohlins shock.
I just googled "ohlins shock wrench" and this came up. https://www.amazon.com/Ohlins-OH00710-02-PU-Shock-Spanner-Wrench/dp/B00415XAH0 - Does this look like what you have?
Yep, that's the one. I can check to see if it'll fit the OE shock later tonight.  
I was more pushing you to fix the problem of dealing with adjusting a cheap shock with an even cheaper tool -

by getting rid of both ;)

You can also try lubing that collar where it rides on those ramps (a little dab of grease) and also where it rubs on the spring (maybe teflon dry lube or even just motor oil - though that will attract dirt). That will help a wee bit.

The nice thing about that Ohlins tool is that it has 2 hooks. You go turn the adjuster in either direction from one side of the bike. But keep in mind, the Ohlins (and most aftermarket shocks) have threaded rings and not steep, friction inducing ramps. Adjusting takes longer, but way less force. 

I just googled "ohlins shock wrench" and this came up. https://www.amazon.com/Ohlins-OH00710-02-PU-Shock-Spanner-Wrench/dp/B00415XAH0 - Does this look like what you have?
Yep, that's the one. I can check to see if it'll fit the OE shock later tonight.  
I was more pushing you to fix the problem of dealing with adjusting a cheap shock with an even cheaper tool -

by getting rid of both ;)

You can also try lubing that collar where it rides on those ramps (a little dab of grease) and also where it rubs on the spring (maybe teflon dry lube or even just motor oil - though that will attract dirt). That will help a wee bit.

The nice thing about that Ohlins tool is that it has 2 hooks. You go turn the adjuster in either direction from one side of the bike. But keep in mind, the Ohlins (and most aftermarket shocks) have threaded rings and not steep, friction inducing ramps. Adjusting takes longer, but way less force. 

I would really appreciate if you could check!  
Tell you what, I'll buy the shock if you come out to Chicago and install it.  :P

So the Ohlins wrench is not a perfect match, but it does work - at least with the shock preload at the bottom. I took it up one notch and then back down again. A little filing on the back hook will allow it to fit perfectly. Even the hook is a proper angle. 

Hah, last time I drove thru Chicago I had deodorant failure. Sometimes I think flatlanders shouldn't be allowed to drive, lol. Sooo much room, soo much rollerball.

anyway, have a look. The wrench is 9.75" long.  

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

Wear your motorcycle gloves when you use the wrench (unless it has knuckle and finger armor that prevents you from making a fist). And move it a little at a time. Each setting doesn't have to go in in one go, you can move it, readjust wrench, move it, etc until it clicks in and then repeat. You just got to do it slow and steady while using leather gloves.

I dinged a finger with the dang thing clamped in a vice and vertical.

Lubing those ramps and where the spring rubs the collar really does help. A tool with a well fitting hook can only help.

I do have a garage. It would probably support it. O_o   
Deodorant failure lol (rofl)  I live in the suburbs, so it's a bit less hectic out here.

Thanks for trying out the wrench!!
I used to use ratchet straps to do that hoisting before buying that chain hoist - won't ever go back.  
That wrench is cheap enough to give it a try. Besides, if you go to an aftermarket shock some day with an adjuster and a locking ring like the Ohlins, having 2 wrenches will come in handy. Ohlins gives only one in the kit.

Archived