The MT-07 Forum

FZ-05?

bornagainbiker

If you have a look at yamahas sports road lineup for example. I think the r6 is the only one there that doesnt share its engine with another model

The XJ6 uses the short R6 engine, it's still sold new in many parts of the world.

I agree that inline 4s are less flexible, and too costly to manufacture - bring on Suzuki's turbocharged middleweight twin next year I say!

I kind of want a 400-500cc I4 that revs out to 18k rpm, basically I want something that has the fun of a SS but at more legal speeds.
My god, 18k rpm?! No thanks! My X screeched at 18k. 

Beemer

I would love to get a ZX2R like the one in the video @faffi posted. Sadly I don't think I could find one in the states.

My bad, i forgot about the xj6. Do they still do them in australia? When i bought my mt07 last year there was none left and as far as i know it got replaced by the mt07

I kind of want a 400-500cc I4 that revs out to 18k rpm, basically I want something that has the fun of a SS but at more legal speeds.
My god, 18k rpm?! No thanks! My X screeched at 18k.
I thought that is why rev limiters are for?  My race team managers says stop pegging the limiter, I tell him raise it up man raise it up. he dont liek it when I am in the car 

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
I wouldn't want anything under 700 unless its a true dirtbike.  
500 just isn't enough for me on the street. Unless its a two stroke full of compression, piss and vinegar.

My 250 KTM is currently making 52 hp. On the street I would want alot more than that.
Now, for me, who totters along with max speeds usually around 80-90km/hr--I think a 500 could work.  As long as it had good grunt.  I don't like to shift a lot.  :)

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

I've had a bunch of slow bikes that were tremendous fun for various reasons; CX500 (it would do 115 prone, so not that slow), XL500S (engine always sounded happy and strong despite topping out at 80), Z400G twin (also topped out at 80 unless I wanted to look daft and lay flat on the tank), XS500 (90+ on a good day), GS550E (about the same), CB350F (80 plus) and XT600Z (85). The CX, GS, XT and XS had enough power also for highway riding here were 62 mph is the highest speed allowed. The others could also do that, but had very little in reserve for passing or going up hills facing a gale. Only the CX was strong enough to carry two on tour without constant gear-changing. Still, I would be happy even if I were limited to any of them for the rest of my life. Not as happy as with the FZ07, but you just have to adapt to the power available. After all, people are doing global trips on mopeds, and compared to that the bikes on my list were missiles :D

firstyammerha

I had a 2014 CB500F for six months during my progressive trial of different size bikes over the past couple of years. I believe the mileage was in the 50 mpg area which is what I'm getting with the FZ07 now. The cost of insurance for the 500 was a positive. But it's hard to beat the weight of the FZ07. However, a modern 350lb. FZ05 twin would be tempting.

420 would seem odd as I don't think many countries have a 420cc limit - they seem to run at 125, 250, 400 and 500 levels for those that still operate with cc and not horsepower.

firstyammerha

I've seen ads for naked 300cc bikes from Yamaha and Kawasaki recently and that style bike and engine size would work for me considering I'm a local area city rider who once in a while uses the freeway. My re-entry bike in 2014 was a 1989 Honda VTR 250 which was ok but parts availability was becoming an issue so swapped it for the CB500F. I'll wait and see what the FZ03 and Z300 look like, hopefully soon.

Archived