The MT-07 Forum

How to mount Cortech strap tank bag?

ShiftHer

Can someone who has the Cortech strap mount tank bag take some pics or a vid of how you have it mounted to the bike? I just got mine in the mail and am a little confused on how to go about attaching it to the bike.  ???

Is it 4 straps or 3?

The front straps are easy, just run it around the head stock.

The back gets a little tricky on this motorcycle.

Mine is a 3 strap bag. I took a wide nylon strap and stitched a short strap with buckle to it. I then used the 2 bolts that hold the trim to hold that wide strap. I also melted a big hole so the rubber bumper on the seat pan can pass thru.

IMG_1209.jpg

When you say head stock... do you mean the bar that goes down to the wheel or the one that comes out from the gas tank? Sorry for the dumb question, but I truly don't know.  ;-|  

Here are some photos of where I have it positioned currently, which I feel like I did incorrectly...

IMG_20170728_180312303.jpg

IMG_20170728_180253141.jpg

the straps:
IMG_20170728_175819107.jpg

the tank pad:
IMG_20170728_175843671.jpg

Can't remember where exactly I looped that strap, but where you have it is probably also where I did mine. On other bikes, I would have taken the strap under the frame, behind the lower title clamp bearing.

Where you have it is perfectly fine - It just has to be in a place that does not interfere with being able to turn the forks from full left stop to full right. That includes buckles. You don't want any of that stuff getting in the way of being able to steer fully at slow speed. You'd be amazed at just how quickly the bike will fall if yer expecting another 1/4" of turn-in and it's not there cause something's stopped it. Don't ask how I know this. Doh!

Can't tell from your pict about the rear mount - too much black on black. Are there straps that go thru that pouch looking bit over the nose of the seat? Can you tuck that under the seat and just drive those 2 trim screws thru it to hold it in place?

this is possibly the least tank-bag friendly bike I've ever owned - and I've got an old Marsee bag that dates back to 1981.

Sorry, have to ask but is it a pita to remove the bag every time you have to put gas in? I can see it has the quick release buckles but I still wonder, even with those if it's still a pita.

Beemer

Can't remember where exactly I looped that strap, but where you have it is probably also where I did mine. On other bikes, I would have taken the strap under the frame, behind the lower title clamp bearing.  
Where you have it is perfectly fine - It just has to be in a place that does not interfere with being able to turn the forks from full left stop to full right. That includes buckles. You don't want any of that stuff getting in the way of being able to steer fully at slow speed. You'd be amazed at just how quickly the bike will fall if yer expecting another 1/4" of turn-in and it's not there cause something's stopped it. Don't ask how I know this. Doh!

Can't tell from your pict about the rear mount - too much black on black. Are there straps that go thru that pouch looking bit over the nose of the seat? Can you tuck that under the seat and just drive those 2 trim screws thru it to hold it in place?

this is possibly the least tank-bag friendly bike I've ever owned - and I've got an old Marsee bag that dates back to 1981.
Thanks for the help! Got it pretty well snugged up today. For the bottom strap, it's really skinny, so I would only be able to put one screw through it, Instead I just looped it around the frame under the seat. I also ended up using a zip tie to help snug up the front straps. It still wiggles a little bit, but I don't think it will actually go anywhere.  The pouch bit is just velcroed on and I'm not sure what it's for so I just took it off. lol 
Question -- Did you leave the back plastic panel on the tank off the bike or did you keep it on?

Beemer -- I will have to let you know, but from what I tried out in my garage to do a pretend fill with invisible gas at an invisible pump, it's just unclip the two buckles on the top and then the whole tank pad and bag lifts up as one and you can lay it on the seat, then just lay it back and clip clip when done. I will take a video of it once I get it out on the road. It's definitely hard to imagine but is obvious once you see it.

I left all the trim on and imo, it' doesn't exactly make the for a nice flat surface for any bag to sit. The tank is too ugly w/o, so I just deal with a teeter-tottering bag.

I left all the trim on and imo, it' doesn't exactly make the for a nice flat surface for any bag to sit. The tank is too ugly w/o, so I just deal with a teeter-tottering bag.
Good to know! Man, I really miss my Nighthawk gas tank. All metal, just pop the bag on, pop it off. lol Simpler times... 

I bought a couple of suction cup straps - Nelson Rigg, iirc - to help keep my small bag for flopping side to side. They fit perfectly on the Yamaha emblems - tank pasties, lol. The straps from those suction cups then go up attach to my bags straps, just in front of the bag. It helps, but still not perfect.

I own a much bigger tank bag that's a nice fit on my Aprilia but way to big for the FZ.

That wide base fabric should help holding yours.

Archived