The MT-07 Forum

Console/Cluster Warping from Heat

bugeyeblues

bugeyeblues

Hello,

I'm a new member to this forum but have periodically checked it out for advice. 

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue or has any recommendations for me.

In the picture you see heat warping at the bottom of my cluster. This was from 3-4 hours of my bike sitting in direct sunlight. I'm wondering if this is a common issue. It kind of sucks seeing as I only picked this Yamaha in March of this year. 
IMG_2001.jpg

Where are you located? Me being in Buffalo, NY, I've never had anything like this even look like it was going to happen and I've had this bike for almost 3 years and have been in direct sunlight a lot.

• Premium Member

do you have a windscreen on your bike? if so the windscreen can focus the sunlight if not facing the sun...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

Where are you located @bugeyeblues

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

bugeyeblues
Where are you located? Me being in Buffalo, NY, I've never had anything like this even look like it was going to happen and I've had this bike for almost 3 years and have been in direct sunlight a lot.
Im in the SF Bay Area. It was about 90 degrees out when it happened, but it seems like this thing should have a much higher threshold than that. I'm wondering if this is a warranty issue or if im making a big deal over nothing. Might get worse is my biggest concern.  

bugeyeblues
do you have a windscreen on your bike? if so the windscreen can focus the sunlight if not facing the sun...
No windscreen or clear protective cover installed. As is from the factory, this happened the first time parking it 90 degree weather. 

bugeyeblues
Where are you located @bugeyeblues
I am in the California SF Bay Area, not a very hot region. Rarely gets over 100 degrees and it wasn't that hot when this happened  

• Global Moderator

Im in the phoenix area... never had an issue, maybe talk to yamaha about getting it fixed/replaced?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

not a very hot region. Rarely gets over 100 degrees ,vat!
not fooking hot ya could fry an egg at that temperature as well as ya own balls.
we rarely get above 70 f here in the UK and when it does we complain its to hot.lol

Take it to yamaha and see what they say. Ive left mime out for a few hours at 40+C in direct sunlight and havent noticed anything. Having said all that, pretty sure the seat that day had a similar effect on my boy parts...

bugeyeblues
not a very hot region. Rarely gets over 100 degrees ,vat! not fooking hot ya could fry an egg at that temperature as well as ya own balls.
we rarely get above 70 f here in the UK and when it does we complain its to hot.lol
Haha, where I used to live in California it was 100 degrees on average throughout summer, guess I got pretty used to it. I wouldn't mind a regular 70 degrees, that sounds amazing. 

you can get a shroud that goes over the clock.
I'll see if I can get a link.
theres a tracer 700 member that has one so I'll ask him.

19989616_147995885775955_3620319005195836011_n.jpg?oh=3b20a068bfa86fa1d4a1fd37af91cf35&oe=59F8E58A

Could it be that something off a window or mirror nearby focused the sunlight onto the instruments? Such incidents cause multiple fires every year.

the lad got it together with a bigger screen from yamaha as a set.
if you can't get one you can always make your own it wouldn't take much.
all you would need is a bit of plastic and a double sided sticky foam.

I'd take into a dealer and at least see if they'll do something, the worst they can do is say no.
I live in south Texas & regularly park in the sun at work (no other choice). My cluster is still fine. I have a half cover that I put on if I'm not too lazy. Without the cover I've seen the thermometer on the bike hit 117F & it's probably been higher. It rolls up just a little bigger than a t-shirt & protects from sun, bird poop and keeps people from sitting on it "just to see what it feels like". Also the seat doesn't roast me when I get on.
Good luck with the dealer, if you do try them, let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On my previous bike, the Aprilia Pegaso Strada, the LCD dash got fairly black after almost 10 years under the Greek sun.

The polarizers inside the LCD screens get burnt after long exposure to the sun.

It got so bad that I could barely see anything in day-light riding. (At night it was fine because of the back-light)

I suggest to everyone that you cover the dash with a piece of cloth when you leave it parked on the street. You will thank me long-term.

I intend to do the same.

Archived