The MT-07 Forum

Beware! K&N oil filters are failing left and right!

Cruizin

Reports on forums all over the world reporting that K&N 204 and other filters are failing. One guy had his fail at the track, all oil leaked out. Many are leaking oil all out on the road.

This is being reported on bike forums all over the internet.

Check this out from our FZ10 forum https://fz10.org/thread/1158/oil-filter-failures?page=1&scrollTo=8686

Get an OEM filter here http://bit.ly/2gYheiW

If replacing your K&N filer, I recommend the stock Yamaha Filter part # [a href="http://bit.ly/2gYheiW]5GH-13440-50-00'>http://bit.ly/2gYheiW]5GH-13440-50-00[/a]

You can get one here cheaper than the dealer price. http://bit.ly/2gYheiW

Nuts!!!! I only use yamaha on my fz but I've used k&n on other bikes simply for the "nut" on the end.

Sucks. World class air filters...garbage oil filters

Well, makes me glad that I use oem filters or less frequently, fram. But still...

I don't understand, this apparently has been going on for a while now? Why isn't it more common knowledge then? I mean, there are certain things, information in this case, if circulated enough, it will be in the ether and a permanent air surrounds it.. why isn't it the case for K& N filters? I always seem to read a whole lot of people always using K&N air filters- is that the reason? Because of their air filter popularity people overlook their oil filter shoddiness? What gives?

K&N used to rebrand WIX filters which are good, they switched to the Fram OE a couple years ago and went to shit.

The issue seems to be that the filter just pops and dumps oil out right where the nut head meets the filter body. When this happens, it just covers your rear tire in oil.

Hiflow makes alot of K&N filters, so I would avoid Hiflow too, just in case.

Again, OEM is available here http://bit.ly/2gYheiW

K&N used to rebrand WIX filters which are good, they switched to the Fram OE a couple years ago and went to Shet.
So its basically a fram filter?  So I should just not use fram either?

• Global Moderator

HIFLO filters USED to make K&N filters....as of 6mo ago, K&N moved their operations overseas and cut out HIFLO... hiflo still makes the 204 filter in their brand W/o the nut on the end

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

K&N used to rebrand WIX filters which are good, they switched to the Fram OE a couple years ago and went to Shet.
I refuse to run fram on anything their bypass valves are shet and leak internally letting unfiltered oil through. I always run either WIX or Napa Gold. (WIX makes the Napa Gold filters)

Will the 5GH-13440-50-00 fit the 2016 FZ07? Ebay part's fit is saying no but I believe it does right?

Yes, it fits all FZ07's, FZ09's, FZ10's and a crap load of other Yamahas.

And honestly, OEM oil filters are usually the best.

Get one here # [a href="http://bit.ly/2gYheiW]5GH-13440-50-00[/a]

pineappleunderthesea
Nuts!!!! I only use yamaha on my fz but I've used k&n on other bikes simply for the "nut" on the end.  
Sucks. World class air filters...garbage oil filters
When I had my Shadow I had bought the OEM Honda filter removal tool (basically it's a big socket that fits over the filter housing), worked beautifully. As it happens, it also works perfectly for the Yamaha filter.  I was also going to go with aftermarket because of the "nut", but ends up I don't have too.  I'm sure Yamaha makes one too. I had tried an off-brand of these sockets, but they're not all one piece like OEM and would snap at the weld.  

I refuse to run fram on anything their bypass valves are shet and leak internally letting unfiltered oil through. I always run either WIX or Napa Gold. (WIX makes the Napa Gold filters)
It is probably just the way you phrased this, but aren't bypass valves meant to allow unfiltered oil to bypass the filter during non-idle rpms?  Are you saying that they leak while under low pressure?  Or are you saying they aren't bypassing like they should at high rpm? I haven't liked Fram since I sold autoparts in the late 80s. They were junk then. Thanks for the heads up that K&N are made by Fram. 

It is probably just the way you phrased this, but aren't bypass valves meant to allow unfiltered oil to bypass the filter during non-idle rpms?  Are you saying that they leak while under low pressure?  Or are you saying they aren't bypassing like they should at high rpm? I haven't liked Fram since I sold autoparts in the late 80s. They were junk then. Thanks for the heads up that K&N are made by Fram. 
the bypass valve is meant to let unfiltered oil through when either your oil pressure is too high or if the filter is clogged. Good filters use metal support material around the valve, if you cut a fram open it will be card stock.

Through all the changes since the 80's or earlier the Bosch 3300 is still better than OEM and cheaper at the same time.

Order at Rock Auto and even with shipping they are $5 each.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

So who currently manufactures Yamaha oil filters? The only info I can find is 4 or 5 years old. Any cut apart reviews of the current Yamaha OEM oil filter?

So who currently manufactures Yamaha oil filters? The only info I can find is 4 or 5 years old. Any cut apart reviews of the current Yamaha OEM oil filter?
Denso has made all the Yamaha filters i've purchased for the FZ. Not sure if they have any others, but Denso is all I've seen.

• Premium Member

Yikes!

Im running Amsoil oil filters, they do what they're supposed to do, without exploding. Nice synthetic oil too. ;)

https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/motorcycle/2015/yamaha/fz-07/700/us-volume/

part# EAOM103

Stay safe out there.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

hmmm interesting...I only use the 17mm nut to get the filter off rather than use it to install the filter... I spin the filter on till its dont take much to open a 2liter of pop (soda pop for the rest of the world) then give it a good 1/4 turn past that... oil filters have this wonderful annoying ability to keep getting tight ?... I can see ppl over doing it if the o-ring is wet which greatly reduces resistance for a TQ wench reading...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

The factory one I removed is made in Taiwan.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Just buy yourself the "permanent" stainless steel 100 dollar oil filter and be done with it. Sure, cleaning it is a semi-hassle but you don't have to worry about buying oil filters.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

So, would it be safe to use these K&N 204's if you don't install by using the nut? The reports I read said they were cracking out from the spot welds from under the nut. The only reason I'm asking is because I bought 3 of these filters a month ago and hate to throw them away. I've done 2 oil changes with the K&N's previously and had no problems.

Never mind...kind of rhetorical as now that there's doubt then that's enough, one cracked filter would ruin ones day.

So, would it be safe to use these K&N 204's if you don't install by using the nut? The reports I read said they were cracking out from the spot welds from under the nut. The only reason I'm asking is because I bought 3 of these filters a month ago and hate to throw them away. I've done 2 oil changes with the K&N's previously and had no problems.  
Never mind...kind of rhetorical as now that there's doubt then that's enough, one cracked filter would ruin ones day.
It's not necessarily the twisting of the nut that ruptures the casing but the weakened casing material in the weld area caused by act of attaching the 'nut' during manufacture. We've seen several at the track simply burst near the nut even when the filter was spun on by hand (nut never used). Closer  examination revealed the filter casing was about as thick as aluminum foil due to welding. 

Archived