The MT-07 Forum

Easiest (cheapest) way to increase tank capacity?

level41

The computer on mine is usually 4 to 6 mpg low
but strangely it as been absolutely dead on
twice in 68 or so refuels.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most I ever got in mine was 13.44 ltr it did not stop but was missing on acceleration. 
From full
6 blocks full miles
5 70
4 100
3 130
2 160
1 184
Flash 213
Missing 268

I got 268 miles on a tank
but that was out with slower bikes and
dont think we got above 50 mph it would
likely do better now as it has about 12000
miles on the clock.
Been very happy to see a fuel station on 
a few occasions used to have a Suzy Vstrom
that had a near 20 ltr tank it was great but
you felt the weight when you filled the tank.

268 huh? Challenge accepted ?

Pretty close to the bone so unless you like pushing a bike take some spare fuel
I think it can be beat as riding home with a smaller bike the other day the computer
was showing 90 UK mpg after 15 miles doing between 45 and 50 mph but I would
struggle to keep the speed that low for a tank on my own. 90 UK is 74/5 US mpg

Pretty close to the bone so unless you like pushing a bike take some spare fuel I think it can be beat as riding home with a smaller bike the other day the computer

Haha best i got so far is 402km on a tank. I just think its pretty amazing a bike like this can get that kind of range on a 14 litre tank. That little engine never ceases to impress me

Pretty close to the bone so unless you like pushing a bike take some spare fuel I think it can be beat as riding home with a smaller bike the other day the computer

At 40-45 mph you're best off with a tall geared 125cc.
They can get almost 125MPG US at that speed, and hardly ever go below 100 mpg on a tank.
Even my 250cc, which stock does 66/88mpg US, does a true 100-120MPG after a sprocket change, at speeds below 55mph.

My restricted CB100 (narrowed intake) would regularly do 100+ mpg ridden mostly flat out (top speed an indicated 78 kph or 49 mph). And as I've mentioned before, I block a lot of wind. And in addition I always rode with a big Belstaff-style suit to further increase air resistance. That was with stock gearing with the engine turning about 8000 rpm at 50 mph. Two-stroke 50cc mopeds, limited to 2.5hp and 30 mph, would often manage more than 150 mpg in normal use. Since engines are most efficient when run at full trottle at the rpm where they make the most torque, it is easy to see why small engines are frugal; they operate near this ideal far more often than what does bigger engines.

However, considering that my FZ07 deliver 60+ per cent of the mileage of my dog slow 100cc Honda, I think it is a small price to pay for a huge gain in performance :D

firstyammerha

I fill mine sitting in the saddle with both feet on the ground and the filler nozzle resting on the tank opening. Almost the same procedure as filling the car.

Talking of small bikes and fuel economy. I raced a fuel injected CBR125R Honda in a 180km race. Geared DOWN ( ie faster acc.). Bought a required dump refiller to refuell. Didn't have to use it. Still had fuel in the tank at the end of the race. That was at full race pace...
Fuel was NOT a big racing expense...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Talking of small bikes and fuel economy. I raced a fuel injected CBR125R Honda in a 180km race. Geared DOWN ( ie faster acc.). Bought a required dump refiller to refuell. Didn't have to use it. Still had fuel in the tank at the end of the race. That was at full race pace... Fuel was NOT a big racing expense...
Funny thing, I gear up!
And aside from the pun,
I created another topic on why I think gearing up is the way to faster acceleration, rather than gearing down:

[div style=text-align:justify]https://fz07.org/thread/8708/why-upgeared-downgeared-on-fz
[/div]

But back to this topic,
I do always top off, and with the gear change already get roughly 17% longer range.

I'm from a metric country :)

Filling slowly to get the most of the tank, I consistenly get 275-285Km until "f" starts, and I've done 40km in "f". Probably I could do even 60km.

Level41. I want to gear UP the 07 also. Torque curve on the 07 really doesn't make sense for the current final gearing if you travel at mostly 60 and 100kph. I guess it may be geared for a low commuting speed.
The 125 was geared down because we raced on a gokart track which was only 900-1200m long and VERY tight. It was geard down enough so I could remove the need to use 1st gear once moving to avoid the huge ratio change from 1st to 2nd.

firstyammerha

gregjet, you had a lot of people scratching their heads on your gearing down the 125. People probably thought your track had a Mulsanne straight on it.

Most of the bikes I raced on were commuter based.
To clear up the gear down/up thing.
I use the final top speed for saying up or down. ie a ratio of 2.4 is gearing up ( faster speed /revs), 2.6 is gearing down ( lower speed/revs). Yes it is bad and confusing language, and I apologize.
Even using "easier/harder" is problematic.
To clarify: I geared the track bikes so the effective speed for revs was lower ( ie top speed would be lower), because the tracks were short AND to get rid of the big ratio jump that "commuter" and "non sport" based bikes have between 1st and second. This way you can get rid of that change from of all but starting. You gear it so the slowest speed on track, is just in the bottom of the torque range of second gear.

A semantic problem that won't go away.

Most I ever got in mine was 13.44 ltr it did not stop but was missing on acceleration. 
From full
6 blocks full miles
5 70
4 100
3 130
2 160
1 184
Flash 213
Missing 268

miles on the clock.

Just out of curiosity, do you know what your average fuel consumption was according to the bike? Or is yours one of the accurate ones?

The fz07 can do over 150 miles on 1 tank. I am in perfect shape but I get sore and in need for a quick stop around 120 miles or so so its perfect for me.

For those playing at home...

437.6km (271.9 miles)
13.55 litres
Dash avg consumption 3.2l/100km
Actual consumption 3.09l/100km

Didnt stop and probably could've done another 5 or so km but didnt feel like pushing it (literally and metaphorically)

Also, keep in mind i weigh a touch over 300lb and a fair bit of my riding was on hill roads in winter so this is definitely achievable for anyone

The bike does a piss poor 150 miles on a tank.
That's on the internal meter.
My journey is 75 miles. If I don't want to see F, I'd have to fuel up almost twice a week.
With the gear change, I can now do 2 trips, but it depends on how fast I go. Under 75 mph, and with an average of 60mpg, I can do the trip twice a week. Over 75, or with wind resistance, at 48MPG, I'd have to fuel up after 1 trip, or I won't make another.

I've also seen my dash overindicate fuel mileage, not underinsure.

• 3 weeks later...
From full
6 blocks full miles
5 70
4 100
3 130
2 160
1 184
Flash 213
Missing 268

miles on the clock.

Just out of curiosity, do you know what your average fuel consumption was according to the bike? Or is yours one of the accurate ones?
The mpg display on the bike is usually 4/6 mph low though on two occasions it as been dead on not a clue why. On My UK bike you can change the read out from MPG to 2 other settings wounder if it is more accurate on 
another setting my last bike a Burgman was near dead on.

I hogged out the unleaded fuel restrictor to allow the use of a quick fill jug. This had the unintended side effect of enlarging the useful capacity of the tank, I can now fill it to the bottom of the cap. 

Used a bronze chisel to remove throat restrictor,
IMG_20170909_163419692.jpg

Now I can save a fuel stop during endurance events, HUGE. Street use would add 20-30 miles maybe?
IMG_20170909_163459847.jpg

Better yet would be to make a custom oversized tank. Meh.

Edit: Downside is EPA may hunt you down and tax you to death. ?

I guess the easiest - or less complicated - way other than the one just described by Mossrider would be to enlarge the top half sideways and fit a new, larger tank cover.

Archived