The MT-07 Forum

Another way to install CRG Bar End mirrors, without adapters

Been on this forum a while looking for the different solutions that people used to install their bar end mirrors. Seems like most either use the 20 dollar (each) CRG adapters which have a potential to cause a sticky throttle and seem really finicky. One Youtuber had to shave off a piece of the throttle. Then there are the absurdly priced RhinoMoto bar ends, which are nice but when you're spending 90 a pop for a mirror, spending another 90 on bar end weights is just bad value. One other person used nylon washers to space out the stock bar end weights to fit these mirrors. I liked this solution because I liked the idea of keeping my stock bar ends but I did not like the lack of adjustably and still the possibility of throttle sticking.

The simple solution I came up with is just using the stock bar end weights and nothing else. Basically I unscrewed the bar ends, put the mirror on as far over as possible and then just absolutely caked the threads on the bar end weight with blue loctite/ thread locker. Then I gently screwed it back in with the mirror on, leaving exactly enough space on the throttle side for the throttle to not stick. Then I left the bike alone for 24 hours(recommended time for loctite to cure). They seem to be very solid now and I'm extremely happy with this solution since it requires no permanent modifications nor a sticky throttle. Some images below.

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

• Premium Member

Nice fix! Not sure what you mean though about the CRG adapters causing a sticky throttle or being finicky. If for some reason people have that issue with the CRG adapters, you just leave a few mm of gap between the inside edge of the adapter and the grip, and then just tighten them down.

:)

- Paulie

• Like 1

Seems good until you're out on the road and they unexpectedly come loose for some unknown reason. Then what? This happened to me a couple weeks ago and thankfully I had only got about a 1/4 mile from the house when it happened so I went back home where the tools were and tightened it. Now I carry the right size allen wrench with me every ride just in case. 

Beemer

• Premium Member
Seems good until you're out on the road and they unexpectedly come loose for some unknown reason. Then what? This happened to me a couple weeks ago and thankfully I had only got about a 1/4 mile from the house when it happened so I went back home where the tools were and tightened it. Now I carry the right size allen wrench with me every ride just in case. 
Wow, never once had that happen to me, and I've had them forever.  A dab of Blue Loctite may be of some help here. 

- Paulie

Like I mentioned, I completely covered the bolts in blue loctite. Which after properly curing needs 50-ft-lbs of torque to break free. This should hold up to vibrations and any other daily movement. 

• Premium Member

I should clarify, and when I said I've never had that happen to me, I meant with the CRG adapters.

- Paulie

Wouldn't turning the bar end wt. down (lathe) to the CRG clamp diameter be another option? You'd be adding wt. back with the mirrors so doubt you'd ever notice a difference. Just a thought.

Like I mentioned, I completely covered the bolts in blue loctite. Which after properly curing needs 50-ft-lbs of torque to break free. This should hold up to vibrations and any other daily movement. 
You're right, they probably won't come loose on their own. I was thinking more about an accidental bump to the mirror, (unexpected, unkown reason) that could make it come loose. I also can't imagine what it would be like to have to take that little 50 ft lb. screw out with an allen wrench if I ever wanted to put new grips/mirrors or whatever on. I can't help but picture it being a PITA and something stripping out. Just saying all this as a heads up for others mostly so they will think about the cons of it before doing it. It's not so much for your benefit, you've already decided you're OK with it. 

Beemer

Wouldn't turning the bar end wt. down (lathe) to the CRG clamp diameter be another option? You'd be adding wt. back with the mirrors so doubt you'd ever notice a difference. Just a thought.
Totally doable and I've done it. I did this when I had my stock bars still installed and it worked out fantastic. My buddy owns a machine shop and took the stock bar end weight to him and he turned them down to the diameter I needed and left a lip on the outer edge so the mirror would not slip off. No difference with the weight removed. I believe the stock bar ends are just there for astetic reasons. I now run renthal road mediums with the bike master bar end mirrors (yeah I know their cheap but hey they work) and their adapters which are significantly lighter than the stock ones and I notice absolutely zero difference in vibration between the two bars.

• Like 1

Not going to lie, I almost did this. Also not going to lie, realized it was way too much of a risk. Although the worst that can happen is you lose an expensive mirror, but still, I wasn't going to risk it and ended up going one of the proper routes.

• 2 years later...

For spacers I used 1/2" pvc conduit, cut 3/8" long pieces, and drilled out the inside so it would fit over the stock bar ends, worked like a charm!  The outside diameter of the conduit is an exact match.  The CRG lanesplitter mirrors are amazing, I can finally see what is behind me!!  Best upgrade I've made. 

IMG_20200411_100229.jpg