The MT-07 Forum

Anyone notice higher temps after tune ?

ricerbird

Got my new exhaust installed, removed the snorkel, had 2 wheel dynoworks tune my ecu and now my bike seems to get much hotter. I had the holes drilled in the factory muffler and of course it runs lean from the factory as everyone knows. But I saw consistent 175-190 at the highest. It's never gone over 190 on a 97 degree day. Today I was riding it after installing the new ecu and I noticed at stoplights it was getting up around 200+ and I wasn't riding it anywhere near as hard as I have. As soon as I take off it cools right down with no issues but the fans actually kicked on for the first time in the 3 months I've owned the bike. Has anyone else had this issue or noticed this ?

chademinent
Got my new exhaust installed, removed the snorkel, had 2 wheel dynoworks tune my ecu and now my bike seems to get much hotter. I had the holes drilled in the factory muffler and of course it runs lean from the factory as everyone knows. But I saw consistent 175-190 at the highest. It's never gone over 190 on a 97 degree day. Today I was riding it after installing the new ecu and I noticed at stoplights it was getting up around 200+ and I wasn't riding it anywhere near as hard as I have. As soon as I take off it cools right down with no issues but the fans actually kicked on for the first time in the 3 months I've owned the bike. Has anyone else had this issue or noticed this ?
Sounds normal to me. Before my tune my bike would get up to and over 200 on a hot day just sitting in traffic. At speed mine sits at 178-190 depending on the oustside temp. I have an exhaust and dyno tune from twowheeldynoworks.

I just have never heard my fans kick on once since I've had the bike and now after 30 min of riding I noticed them coming on. Just weird to see my bike get that hot as I've never seen it before. Now my old 06 r6 would run 220-230 at stoplights on a hot day before I put hyperlube in it so I know yamahas can run kinda hot. Just thought it was out of the ordinary. I use the term "hot" but I know the temp is well within normal range

• Global Moderator

The fan is set to come on at a lower temperature with the tune. Perhaps you did not notice the temperature when you were stopped before because the fan was not coming on. The temperatures on my bike seems about the same since I had my ECU flashed.

• Premium Member

That is what the fans are for! My bike is stock in terms of engine, intake through exhaust, and my fans kick on and off. Admittedly, I live in Northern Louisiana and it's nothing to be in the high 90's, atmospheric temps. I don't watch and record engine temps, never any reason to do so.

If any bike ran significantly leaner it would run hotter. Certainly, a relatively lean tune will produce the most power, all else being equal, but the greatest is typically just before the engine explodes (I can post dyno and racing generated broken parts pix of ours if you wish--we race in a class that doesn't allow ANY electronic engine controls). So, if a new tune produces documentably higher temps than stock (how many truly keep hard data from before and after any mods) I'd be concerned about how much leeway the tuner allowed.

What I've seen is that most manufacturers tend to error in terms of engine longevity and run a little rich, which allows tuners to lean out such an engine a slight bit for a little more power knowing the "company" tends to error in terms of safety.

Mine runs in the 77-83C range, or 170-181F. Arrows full system and EJK box. But the warmest weather it has seen in my time as an owner is 28C / 83F

Archived