The MT-07 Forum

Which 2 bikes would you keep in your stable?

level41

If I would only have the option to keep 2 bikes, I'd have to choose the bikes, covering as much ground as I could possibly do!

Since my main reason for having a motorcycle, is leisure and commuting, sport bikes are out of the equation, because they lack riding comfort for longer as well as shorter rides for me.

Street legal dirt bikes are either too clunky, heavy, gas guzzling, or too expensive. They can be comfortable with their higher suspension, but definitely are not suited for highway or interstate rides.
They often are equipped with 200 to 400cc engines, that aren't really optimal for city, nor highway; though you could do both with them.
So for me, street legal, dirt - type of bikes are out of the equation as well!

Cruiser bikes are too heavy, or hurt my tailbone due to my leg position, so they're also out of the equation for me.
They're not very aerodynamic, and I generally don't like their looks. They look so past 2 to 3 decades to me!

I have also noticed limitations on riding distances on bikes.
I generally want to do only local, or medium distance trips;for the simple reason that  long distance (anything over 5 hours) is uncomfortable,  and here in FL I am guaranteed to end up in a rainstorm somewhere; plus, longer distance require more luggage, and if something goes wrong, road insurance, etc...
No AC, no radio, no protection from the elements....

The complications increase with longer rides.

For the longer rides, I was hoping to buy an Elio car, or get myself a cheap, fuel efficient car, with AC, rather than do the trip on a motorcycle.

So having set these parameters, a whole lot of bikes are cut out of the equation, which leaves me with mainly only naked bikes, due to the better riding position for me, and cheaper price:

- For the short trips, I've limited myself to 100-125cc bikes; and have my eye on a Honda Grom or Kawasaki Z125 Pro - type of bike.
It's small, great on fuel, light in weight, fun, cheap, low on insurance cost, and fast enough for the city, and still gives you the feeling of life on 2 wheels.
Excellent commuter, and probably very safe in the city too (nimble, can easily go in between cars, for states where filtering/lane sharing is legal, etc...)
Anything larger will needlessly use more fuel, add weight, and cost.
It's that kind of bike you take to the grocery store, (with a backpack) to buy a few items; go to the beach, leisure cruise to explore local neighborhoods, therapy riding, and put your mind at zero, without feeling like you're keeping up the traffic flow (like with a 50cc scooter).

- For the medium trips (30-100 miles) I have set myself to 400/500cc engine sizes.
Currently not a lot of bikes are under the 400LBS mark with 400-500cc sizes, that are comfortable for taller people to do longer rides on, but I keep my eyes open for newer models.
400-500cc, because it's powerful enough to do 110MPH, yet it's not too powerful to also be an excellent commuter at city speeds.

The FZ-07 will do for me for now, in wait of another, better suited lower power model.
I'm not in need for fast acceleration, and not too fond of having to lean forward too much on this bike (handlebars are about 1 foot too much away from my helmet for me).
It also has more power (HP or top speed) than I need, which needlessly translates to lower fuel mileage.
I had a tank at 80MPG on my FZ, (keeping the bike at a near constant 55MPH), but riding it like normal, 50-60MPG is a more common number on the FZ.
I would like to pull that up to 80MPG average, with a smaller size engine, and 100MPG on a 400cc if I kept it at 45-50MPH.
Too large of an engine, and the gearing needs to be too tall for the engine to pull it efficiently at city speeds, while also a lot of power will be left unused on the highways.
Which is why I would settle for 400-500cc, the perfect sweet spot for the streets.

So, if in the future, I could redo my bikes, I probably would go with a 125cc and a 400-500cc bike (I prefer to have torque build up, rather than instant torque down low the rpm range).

And have a Geo Metro, or Elio car for the longer distances (eg: cross state rides); or even modern Elantras are great on fuel at 75MPH! Nearly the same as my FZ-07, but with AC radio, and protection from the elements.

My type of bikes, are a balance of commuters, fuel efficiency and cost.
I'm sure you might want bikes for other purposes, so,
If you could keep only 2 bikes, which would they be, and why would you settle on those bikes?

I would definitely get a larger super tourer like the tenere that would allow me multiple 6+ days in a row in the saddle. Can't beat long haul comfort. The FZ-07 is fine for 5 hours and under once in a while but gets blown around in the wind too much and lacks a large enough gas tank for a tourer.

I would definitely get a larger super tourer like the tenere that would allow me multiple 6+ days in a row in the saddle. Can't beat long haul comfort. The FZ-07 is fine for 5 hours and under once in a while but gets blown around in the wind too much and lacks a large enough gas tank for a tourer. And that terrible seat!

• Premium Member

Well, I already have a couple bikes I'm happy with but, why only two... I've never stopped there with cars? So, were I to add another bike... probably a Ducati sportbike of one stripe or another. Just another toy, nothing more.

My 2015 FZ-07 and my 2016 WR250F are doing just fine and dandy.
If it's just two bikes, a nimble, sporty street bike like the FZ-07 and a great dirt bike like the WR250F are all I need.

My 2015 FZ-07 and my 2016 WR250F are doing just fine and dandy. If it's just two bikes, a nimble, sporty street bike like the FZ-07 and a great dirt bike like the WR250F are all I need.
I currently own a similar setup. A Honda Rebel 250, and a Yamaha FZ-07.

I also own a CBR300R, which was just not powerful enough to keep up with 90MPH interstate rides, so it is up for sale.
A great bike for the city, but on the interstates,it's really being wrung out to the limit.

The Rebel 250 is wonderful for the city, and underpowered for the highways, which is why I want to downsize it even more.
If I don't need to be on the highway with my 250cc, because it's just not keeping up with traffic,
I think I'll just get a 125cc that I won't ever take on the highway or interstate.

They have more power than what I need on both the 250 and Fz-07.
Smaller engine means better tuned for my needs :) .

• Global Moderator

I would keep my FZ-07 for fun local riding and maybe get a FJR or Concours (or perhaps a Ninja 1000) for longer distances.

Hmmm, I can't do just two yet but I could see at some point maybe an electric for going to the store and blasting around town, no gas, coolant, oil etc. but need the prices to come down.

I feel like my FZ-07 and YZ450F are the perfect pair. One for street and one for dirt - no compromises. Although my YZ is probably jealous that it only gets ridden about once a month while the FZ-07 is my daily commuter

Already have them,
06 R1 50th,
Two 2016 FZ07 Mine (Its a Raven they are rare) Bwaa hahahahha Sons 2016 FZO7
1995 Ducati 916s
1965 CT200 (90) trail In restore process

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I will likely change my mind every single day on this, but if I try to use both brain and heart, I'd take a Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin for all kinds of riding and a Honda CB400SS single for those little gnarly country roads where it's all about taking in the scent and the vista.

• Premium Member

FJ-09- looks like a sports touring bike till you hear the launch control ?
FZ-07- sticking around till I get the funds to trade for a used FZ-09 which will become a turbo bike @205whp ? for a wee little 400# bike...

**the ole carby WR250F floats around like a floozy between the members of BROSKITOON RACING**

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I have the two I want: MT-07 as my lightish-weight performance naked. Perfect. And my original re-starter bike, a Kymco Venox 250 cruiser. The big difference between them adds variety to my biking. Just a replacement of the (rather crude) Kymco with a Honda 500 Rebel bobber would be good (it'll not happen, though).

Just do it! 

My MT07 DeLAMinated and my TR650 Husqvana. Both set up for distance touring. Both have Seat Concepts recover ( pad and cover). Can ride all day.
I will set up the TR for more dirt-road touring when I finish my Suzuki GS500F modernization/lightening project. TR has a 32litre fuel tank set and Givi (Husky labeled) hard cases. Givi racks modded for the cases on the 07 as well.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Do you have the 400 Ninja that's been rumoured since 2014 in mind, or something else entirely?
Very well may be, though at least the article is dated today.  What is the consensus on motorcycle.com being reputable? 

2018 Kawasaki ninja 400

Do you have the 400 Ninja that's been rumoured since 2014 in mind, or something else entirely?
Very well may be, though at least the article is dated today.  What is the consensus on motorcycle.com being reputable? 

2018 Kawasaki ninja 400
Seems interesting, however not as a sports bike. If it was more touring oriented, I would have loved it.

My personal opinion, for a sports bike, a hi-rev 750cc-900cc is pretty good.
For a tourer, 400-650cc is pretty good.

I don't know why motorcycle companies are avoiding 'the perfect bikes' all the time.
They know no one in their right mind will buy a 400cc sportsbike; at least not to go on the tracks, unless it has like a 14-15k redline.

But that's my personal opinion.
Sure, it might be fun for a while...on the go kart tracks or so..
Until the limitations of the bike are reached, and the longing for 'something more'.

From February 2014 - looks pretty much the same http://bikeindia.in/stonking-new-kawasaki-ninja-400/

I think you will find that the riding position is similar to that of the FZ-07 if the new 400 Ninja hits the market - it is just styled to look like a sports bike, but is most likely a tourer with a design to lure young riders in. Even the original Ninja 250 had a roomier riding position than the Ninja 1000 of its time.

To get the sensible bikes, I think we must move to Japan :)

That kawaks 400 is a smaller pistoned ER6 ( or ninja). It weighs a ton for a 400 ( but then so does the CBR500). As a 650 it is a very nice bike, As a 400 it will be a bit of a lump.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

If I want to poke around, go slow and get good gas mileage I would get a hybrid car of some type. While I'm poking around leisurely I might as well take advantage of it and relax in the comfort of AC and surround sound. I would most likely have a Yamaha Tracer that can get me most anywhere in relative comfort while still providing the quickness and fun of the FZ-07. That would cover my black top need. For off-road I would have a lot of fun on a light weight, Yamaha YZ125. (2-stroke, woot!) No hills around here so it would be plenty powerful/quick enough to get the adrenaline flowing.

Beemer

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I'd prefer 5 or so but if I had to limit it to 2 I guess I'd take the below:

1. Yamaha FZ-07 (Basically my bike but I'd like ABS) General all around awesome road bike.
2. This is a tie between the below:
A. Suzuki DR-Z400SM (With an extra set of dirt bike tires)
B. Yamaha WR250R (With an extra set of supermoto tires)

This gives me awesome options for Road and Dirt. The dirt bike could be customized to make a lightweight ADV.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

I'd take a dedicated track bike and a adventure-tourer. I don't have specific bikes picked, but the for track bike I'd take something in the 600-750 cc range and for the street I'd pick something like an Africa twin or 890 Adventure.
With that duo you get the fun of a dedicated track bike while still having a bike for the road that can go most places and do most things.

Ideally I'd add a supermoto to the mix, something like a husky 701. But to pick two it would have to be the track bike and the adventure bike.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

2018 Kawasaki ninja 400
One would imagine that if they made a sleeved Kawasaki Ninja 650 they would use the most recent design that got rid of the side mounted rear shock (2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650) unless they wanted to use the tooling from the earlier version. But in that case you would have a 465 lb. motorcycle that made what? 40 some HP? Basically a Honda CBR500R with an extra 40 pounds of weight. Every time you see something about spy photos or speculation to do a bit of "Extra" research. Take this article for example "Honda Underseat Exhaust Patent Hints at V4 Supersport". This came out in 2017 a whole 3 1/2 years after this article came out. You should ask yourself questions like: 
1. Does this look like anything already on the market?
2. Is this a just a crude Photoshop of various manufacture stock photos? (See here and here)

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Archived