The MT-07 Forum

Maintenance intervals?

level41

If i know it's on the OFFICIAL YAMAHA MAINTENANCE PLAN  📋  and I don't clean it and put new high tech grease to the bearing, it will keep bugging me at night and I will feel guilty until I remove the whole swing arm in approx. 3 years >:(  

And then I see dirt in every little corner and I have to rip everything apart.

Arrrrrr....I should have continued with hobbies for normal people which don't make you crawl on the cold concrete floor  every winter night

Edited by ElGonzales

Just now, ElGonzales said:

If i know it's on the OFFICIAL YAMAHA MAINTENANCE PLAN  📋  and I don't clean it and put new high tech grease to the bearing, it will keep bugging me at night and I will feel guilty until I remove the whole swing arm in approx. 3 years >:(  

And then I see dirt in every little corner and I have to rip everything apart.

Arrrrrr....I should have continued with hobbies for normal people which don't make you crawl on the cold concrete floor  every winter night

Since I'm not an OCD bike nut...and could quit any time I want...would you like to borrow my, simple green spray bottle, scotchbrite pads, tooth brushes, dental picks and pipe cleaners? 

IMG_20191122_205924.thumb.jpg.fcb1d43c6e156184a8b95692d123a069.jpgIMG_20191130_114624.thumb.jpg.6958a8eaa6f19a52f962502e99089251.jpg

• Haha 1

Thanks, but I am still in the state where you need petroleum and the real dirty brush to remove layers of mud and chain grease. Have to wait until rust converter is ready and paint dry. Tooth brushes and pipe cleaners are already here.
I decided to remove everything, thats the only way to find peace. 

WP_20191205_19_39_27_Pro.thumb.jpg.5b9d8f5522a998b14e1841c315ce70ec.jpg

I'm in the process of serving my bike during the winter standstill and read the manual.

The bike is now past 4 years but with low mileage, about 10000 miles.

Oil and filter is done this weekend, coolant and brake fluuid purchased and will be changed.

One question though, the manual calls for a change of the brake hoses and I wounder if it'r really nessessary at this time? The stock ones look mint and the bike live indoors when not used, can't imagine the need to be changed already, expensive and tedious as it's an ABS bike.

Edited by bugeyes

52 minutes ago, mossrider said:

No. But that's me. If your level of OCD is ok with them rock on. 

Level of OCD, What's that?

6 minutes ago, bugeyes said:

Level of OCD, What's that?

Sorry, 'obsessive compulsive disorder', or what we can personally live with w/o obsessing over it or doing it anyway. Some folks have higher, some lower levels of sensitivity.

• Like 2

I'll run them a year or two longer and then move to braided, I feel my OCD will allow it

• Like 1

....and don't forget this part from the lower end of the maintenance plan:

"Every two years replace the internal components of the brake master cylinders and calipers, and change the brake fluid." 

I tell myself and my OCD that I had cars older than 10 years and I never changed brake lines or the seals inside  brake calipers just for fun. Standing outside their whole life, driving through rain and salty winters. It's not even mentioned in the manuals.  

Will buy some fancy Spiegler braided lines and brake seals in two years if I'm still alive then 

• Like 1

Is the throttle body sync a “adjust when it’s a problem “ sort of thing? My other Yamahas would start to struggle to start and I knew it was time.

21 minutes ago, Socalmt said:

Is the throttle body sync a “adjust when it’s a problem “ sort of thing? My other Yamahas would start to struggle to start and I knew it was time.

Did syncing the throttle bodies fix your starting issues? Or did you make other changes in addition to syncing?

Syncing fixed the issue on both my FZ6 and FJ09.  The dealer told me it was the main cause of stalling and hard starts on those bikes.  Was curious if the twin on the mt 07 was as sensitive to synchrony as those bikes were.

2 hours ago, Socalmt said:

Syncing fixed the issue on both my FZ6 and FJ09.  The dealer told me it was the main cause of stalling and hard starts on those bikes.  Was curious if the twin on the mt 07 was as sensitive to synchrony as those bikes were.

I would be surprised if it was. I did a little digging. It looks to me like the fz6 does not have any sort of ecu idle air control (like a IAC valve) MT-07 does, so I would assume that the fz6 would be hyper sensitive to sync at idle. And the throttle bodies on the fj09 i don't know wtf is going on, 2 blades are controlled by cable and the third is control by servo or throttle by wire.  Google this 1RC-13750-00-00 if you want a pic.

My MT 07 was stalling from time to time if: you drove slowly with  low rpm, a little bit offroad and playing with the clutch. Then sometimes, instead of giving torque, the motor made *donk* and was dead. Checked the throttle sync, found it above the limit, corrected it and then this strange behavior never appeared again.