The MT-07 Forum

Luggage rack vs tail bags

mrfat17

Hi all,

Do you have a luggage rack with a top case or a strapped on tail bag? Can you tell me the pros and cons? Can you recommend any luggage racks/top cases/tail bags?

I'd like to have something that can carry a couple changes of clothes, some water, protein bars, etc. more or less, an overnight bag.

Thanks,

mrfat17

babisstinson

I have the Bagster Spider, it is a great tail bag that I use daily. It can hold many things and the quality is great. Plus, it has a latching system with bungee cords that doesn't need any tail rack, so when you remove the bag only 6 latches can be seen around the passenger seat.

http://www.bagster.com/spider-210.html
http://mt07.it/bb/archive/index.php/thread-1669.html

I have a Held tailbag. It is strapped on to the rear seat, but it can be taken off with a zipper quickly without removing the seat. It is very nice quality, however the size is not that big. I can easily fit my phone, keys, 0.5 liter bottle in it without using the expansion. On one of the photos you can see it opened up. It also can be used as a backpack…
https://shop.held.de/en/accessories/luggage/textiles/4294/strap-system-rear-bag/tankbag-tenda?c=790&number=004541-00.1.Stck

3_BC846_D5_B6_AE_4_E5_D_B7_C1_51243_B568_D73.jpg

B7_F751_F9_5690_42_CE_9_D33_58_DAAF17_B966.jpg

013_E6572_BF4_D_473_D_B666_436442365082.jpg

• Premium Member
Hi all, 
Do you have a luggage rack with a top case or a strapped on tail bag? Can you tell me the pros and cons? Can you recommend any luggage racks/top cases/tail bags?

I'd like to have something that can carry a couple changes of clothes, some water, protein bars, etc. more or less, an overnight bag.

Thanks,

mrfat17

The most simple, easy method would be to spend 20 or 30 bucks on a pair of rokstraps. They work really well with the loops on the pillon. Then you can strap down a small day bag, backpack, drysack... or whatever you already have without buying marked up "motorcycle gear".

Haven't had a problem in over 30k miles with mine. That includes duffel bags, backpacks and smaller bags up to (but not sustained) 3 digit speeds.

http://www.rokstraps.com/

Everything went braap.

I added a SW Motech rack cause I didn't want my great big Nelson Rigg seat bag rubbing on that nice matte finish on the tail section. With a tank too small to take my larger tankbag, a big seat bag comes in handy for hauling that kitchen sink.

disappointingtexan
I added a SW Motech rack cause I didn't want my great big Nelson Rigg seat bag rubbing on that nice matte finish on the tail section. With a tank too small to take my larger tankbag, a big seat bag comes in handy for hauling that kitchen sink.
What's your (I'm assuming) long term review on the SW Motech rack? I am thinking of putting some sort of rack on but am still hesitant to get to chopping up the tail section to install it.  
The lines - the beautiful minimalist lines!

As with the OE Yamaha rack, you have to poke holes in the tail section to access rear mounts for the rack. But unlike the OE Yamaha rack, you do not need cut big ugly rectangles. The 2 holes per side are nice and round and can be made small enough that there's almost no gap between the posts (2 each side) and the plastic. And because the rack is black and sorta angular, it looks more like it belongs than the Yamaha version, which, to my eye, is a bit garish. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-alu-rack-toprack-for-yamaha-fz-07

Also, you almost have to be on a knee to see where those posts pass thru the plastic

It's always gonna be a trade-off with styling. If it bugs you, any rack will, no matter how practical or how well it blends in. I leave my Blaze bags on all the time anyway, so it looks way more sport tourer, than nekkid.

disappointingtexan
As with the OE Yamaha rack, you have to poke holes in the tail section to access rear mounts for the rack. But unlike the OE Yamaha rack, you do not need cut big ugly rectangles. The 2 holes per side are nice and round and can be made small enough that there's almost no gap between the posts (2 each side) and the plastic. And because the rack is black and sorta angular, it looks more like it belongs than the Yamaha version, which, to my eye, is a bit garish. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-alu-rack-toprack-for-yamaha-fz-07 
Also, you almost have to be on a knee to see where those posts pass thru the plastic

It's always gonna be a trade-off with styling. If it bugs you, any rack will, no matter how practical or how well it blends in. I leave my Blaze bags on all the time anyway, so it looks way more sport tourer, than nekkid.
I feel like that's the direction I'm heading anyway with my mods --> sport tourer. I mean, she just begs to let loose out in the backroads anyway.  
Thanks for the feedback!

markstertt

I'm using Shrikes side bags (forum fender, check out vendor section) and a Nelson-Rigg 1060 tail bag bought off a forum member in classified section of this forum. I fabricated up a tail plate to replace the pillion seat for mounting the bag, it mounts and locks using components from stock rear seat (ebay spare). This isn't necessary but nice as on and off is now super easy. The Shrike side bags are the definition of easy to mount/dismount and do not affect the stock bike parts at all. For a 3-4 day trip, I have room for minimal clothing (vest, undies, socks, jungle hat, gloves, long johns, spare shirt & pants) but bulky stuff like jacket has to be worn. Water, tools, snacks, camera, glasses, flash light etc. gravitated to the tail bag by end of trip and I didn't need to expand the tail bag to it's unzipped tall size so still had room for perhaps a small camp stove.

Since the Shrike bags mount to a flat alloy back plate it leaves one the option of enlarging this plate for special purposes such installing a larger bag, ammo can, protrusion for small spare fuel container etc., only have to use your imagination. The Shrike bags open using a dual zipper top flap which at the moment isn't lockable but James at Shrike is working on a simple locking mechanism to keep out the casual miscreant, should be retrofittable to original bags but I won't speak for Shrike, however, it would be a welcome addition for when you want to leave the bike for lunch or a bathroom break.

The Shrike bags are compact and blend nicely with the lines of the bike
DSCN1530.jpg

What looks like the buddy peg folded up is the entire modification to the bike to
mount the Shrikes and is adjustable to swing the bags in or out if needed for blinker
clearance or whatever.
DSCN1537.jpg

Rear view of Shrikes, small but clean and fit close, the Nelson-Rigg bag will strap
to stock rear seat but was to fiddly for me so I had to make a mount plate.
DSCN1542.jpg

The rear mounts are way inboard on the SW Motech rack. Even if you removed it, the holes would take some looking for. You can see the heads of the bolts facing up in the 1st pict. 

And my monster seat bag in the 2nd. Kinda like carrying a passenger, lol

IMG_1317.jpg

tail_bag.jpg

I think I'm getting the first set with the locking zipper. James sent me a photo of the prototype, which I can upload later when I get home.

ducttapewd40

I have a pair of Nelson Rig saddlebags that get strapped on. They do hold a huge amount and I like that the weight sits a little lower. They go on and come off pretty easy and don't need anything permanently attached to the bike. Plus they're pretty universal so there's no need to buy different bags or mounts if you get another bike.

I have the Cycle Guys tail bag and I love it but unfortunately it won't hold everything you mentioned. You need something bigger.

Beemer

disappointingtexan
The rear mounts are way inboard on the SW Motech rack. Even if you removed it, the holes would take some looking for. You can see the heads of the bolts facing up in the 1st pict.  
And my monster seat bag in the 2nd. Kinda like carrying a passenger, lol

IMG_1317.jpg

tail_bag.jpg

@rick, do you find that when stuff is on the rack, it blocks drivers' view of your brake lights? Any sudden stops or close in cars as a result behind you?

The rack (and bag ) are above the tail light, so its view is not really blocked. Side view of that lamo isn't all that great to begin with. No one has hit me from behind

YET! knock wood.

But that also goes for the racks that have been on my Aprilia for the past 15 years and the racks that were on 3 BMWs for the 27 years before 2003. Yep, I'm old.

I can tell you one thing, that w/o the rack, that big tail bag winds up as a back rest with the FZ's economy class seating - one I'd rather not have. On the Futura, the back seat swallows it up, w/o need for the rack which has a small top box.

I modded a set of GIVI racks that were on my BMWF800R. The Luggage is actually branded Husquvana but they are really givi. They came with the Husky when I bought it and are very good touring cases. I swap them between the TR650 and the 07.
The rear seat replacement is carbon covered 4mm Aliminium plate to put a kayak bag on.

picview_save2.jpg

racks_1.jpg

racks_2.jpg

racks_4.jpg

upload photo websites

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived