The MT-07 Forum

Exhaust smell?

kaianuanu

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting an FZ-07 to be my daily driver. I was wondering if any of you guys running stock exhaust have issues with your clothing smelling like exhaust after riding, especially if you have to sit at red lights. I've had this issue with a scooter before and i hated smelling like I've been mowing lawns in the office. I also hope to install some more aggressive rearsets that would be further back in addition to a leovince EVO II underbody exhaust, it seems like the tip would be pointed right under my heel. Any advice appreciated.

heres a link to a pic of the LV exhaust with stock rear sets
https://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0289/1584/leo_vince_underbody_evoii_exhaust_system_yamaha_fz0720152017_zoom.jpg

I have not had the stock exhaust on for a while, but when I did, I did not smell like exhaust. I have stock rear sets. I have an IXIL exhaust on now and still do not smell like exhaust. Not sure how rear sets would affect this, hopefully someone here on the forums can let you know.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I never noticed any smell on my clothes after riding my bike. I still have the stock exhaust, since purchasing the bike new on 2/2015. Never saw any FZ-07 owners complaining of such an issue. However, riding a motorcycle leaves you exposed to exhaust from other vehicles around you.

[div]That's not normal with any scooter either, it's my guess you had an exhaust leak somewhere before the exhaust tip for that to happen. My FZ-07 has never left me stinky, working on a chicken farm has.[/div]

Beemer

sniperelite

Mine has a leovince underbody, your shoe will smell like a barbeque in no time. I always ride with motorcycle boots and leather trousers, but when i do short rides in jeans they tend to smell too.

The only time I ever smelled after a ride is when I had a OMG experiance and I sharted myself other than that, I have never heard of anything remotly like this. Is the scooter a 2 smoker (2 Stroke) then BOOM there is the item in question.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

The only time I ever smelled after a ride is when I had a OMG experiance and I sharted myself other than that, I have never heard of anything remotly like this. Is the scooter a 2 smoker (2 Stroke) then BOOM there is the item in question.
Actually it was a cheap chinese 4 stroke 50cc that was poorly maintained and well past its prime, i think it may have been worse when the valves were out of spec, can't really remember. my roommate actually has a new 2 stroke he got a few months ago and it leaves me with little to no smell though. 

Mine has a leovince underbody, your shoe will smell like a barbeque in no time. I always ride with motorcycle boots and leather trousers, but when i do short rides in jeans they tend to smell too.
I have a question about your LV, do you think i could fit a carbon fibre tube into the tip just so it sticks out past my heel? Is the angle of the tip such that a tube would hit the tire, swingarm, or any other parts?

sniperelite
I have a question about your LV, do you think i could fit a carbon fibre tube into the tip just so it sticks out past my heel? Is the angle of the tip such that a tube would hit the tire, swingarm, or any other parts?
I don't think so, here's a video of the exhaust close up:

i think you would prob be better of with an arrow exhaust ? that sticks out far enough.

Actually it was a cheap chinese 4 stroke 50cc that was poorly maintained and well past its prime, i think it may have been worse when the valves were out of spec, can't really remember. my roommate actually has a new 2 stroke he got a few months ago and it leaves me with little to no smell though. 
I just restored a old Schwinn collegiate, dont smell at all, and that is one cheap POS RED knock off as well.  Its our new LeMons Pit trasher all hello kitied out LeMons Style 

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Something that slipped my mind is the simple fact that while sitting still, if a bike is smoking a lot, just slight wind movement can blow all that smoke back onto the rider. You said it was poorly maintained so I can also imagine fumes, not necessarily smoke, coming from the header flanges and onto the pant legs, etc. Was the pipe rusted/have holes in it? 

Beemer

Something that slipped my mind is the simple fact that while sitting still, if a bike is smoking a lot, just slight wind movement can blow all that smoke back onto the rider. You said it was poorly maintained so I can also imagine fumes, not necessarily smoke, coming from the header flanges and onto the pant legs, etc. Was the pipe rusted/have holes in it?
Ya know, the natural vortex being created in the pocket area around the heal and open exhaust as well as the dynamics of air pressure and heat on the peg caused by air flow over and under the peg.  Could cause a phenomenon known as wtfwhocaresjusridethefreakinthingandtellpeopletomindthereownbusinesseveryonestinks 

• Premium Member

I've not noticed it with the stock exhaust and pegs. I am conscious of the issue, too, since another of my toys really "colognes" me.

Archived