The MT-07 Forum

Harley-Davidson Street Rod vs. FZ-07 - Comparison Article

ninjaiceberg

Being an old and old-fashioned bloke I prefer the looks of the HD, but the extra power and much lower weight of the Yamaha would win out every time.

pineappleunderthesea

The price of the Harley would make it more in the league of the FZ-09. But the FZ-09 would crush it, hence the compare with the FZ-07?

Displacement and power output pits it against the FZ-07. Notice that the performance specs are worse in every aspect other than braking distance.

The price is that high because it is a H-D. It will get that price for it, because of brand nonsense, but any self respecting (read fat accountant) Harley owner will say it isn't a true H-D and they will sell poorly, and H-D will continue it's decline as a manufacture of motorcycles that you would ever expect to perform.

• Premium Member

For me, this just goes to show that car magazines don't have a corner on goofy comparisons. A sloooooow editorial month???

They are looking at buying Ducati, as if they might have some idea how to run such a company. So that should drain them of more cash and do them no good, imho. Buying Buel was not a decision covered in glory. I still like the Sreet Rod but would prefer a Yam SCR 950.

Just do it! 

They are looking at buying Ducati, as if they might have some idea how to run such a company. So that should drain them of more cash and do them no good, imho. Buying Buel was not a decision covered in glory. I still like the Sreet Rod but would prefer a Yam SCR 950.
It depends on which way H-D wants to play that game. If they do the same thing that Audi has done for the past few years it would be entirely fine. Audi just stepped back and let Ducati do whatever they wanted and footed the bill. Seems to have worked really well.

If H-D was smart enough to just allow the Ducati tech to migrate to the H-D motorcycles and more or less left the Italians to do their thing it would be an awesome deal. H-D could use some expertise in making a smaller motorcycle that doesn't just make noise and go slow. Ducati could use more dealers, at least in Canada, it is the reason I ride an FZ-07 and not a Monster or Scrambler. However if they went the way most people expect them to, and attempt to make the Italians use H-D tech, or adopt different manufacturing techniques it would all be bad. Ducati and HD are more similar than most are willing to admit. Both are V twin engines, both make a distinct noises, and both have massive clothing lines that their super loyal followers will buy.

It's all just speculation so far. Don't forget, Harley actually bought MV Agusta for big dollars (109M), got no where with it, and then 2 years later sold it back for a whopping $1 or was it a massive 3 euro. Won't even talk about what they did to Eric Buell.  
Maybe not a fair comparo - Ducati vs MV, but VW is looking for $1.5-ish billions for Ducati to make up for their little diesel faux pas! Considering Harley's history of dumping acquisitions, Ducati might not be happy with that purchase, at any price. 

As for the "S Rod", nothing about having my knees up high enough to bump into my elbows, just to have a super low Harley-esque seat height, do I find appealing. Saw the article, didn't read it. It's not even a contest imho.  

• Global Moderator

Comparing it to the SCR 950 or Street Twin would make more sense. The FZ-07 buyer is not going to buy a Street Rod and the Street Rod buyer is not interested in the FZ-07. It is really a weird comparison.

I think they compared them to show that although Harley have tried to make a sporty-ish version, it really isn't on par with the FZ07, Z650 and SV650. Too heavy, too weird, too mundane. A bit like the XVS950CR 60th anniversary - image before performance.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Premium Member

H-D & Ducati, now THAT is a great plot for a third-rate horror movie in which nothing would turn out well for anyone.

[div]So while the H.D. is behind and doing better in the corners the Yamaha is at the finish line cheering it on??? ;):D LMAO! [/div]

Beemer

HD taking over Ducati. They could do to it what they did to Aermacchi. Kill it stone dead and completely destroy it's reputation.
For most Europeans a HD ISN'T a motorcycle...it's a tractor. I'm an Aussie and they don't fare so badly here as they are not too bad for distance cruising ( so long as you have a trialer to bring it home when it breaks down).
Having said that, the 500 is a step in the right direction in many ways. My favourite displacement and engine config. Pity about the handling.
Sad indictment that the HD has better quality rear suspension AND forks though . Yamaha take note, a HD tractor has better suspension than you do STOCK!

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Harleys are still very popular tractors. This is a snip from the number of used bikes for sale right now in Norway (Andre = Other).

Skjermbilde1_zps5gqw0ht6.jpg

• Premium Member

Yeah...this again. 'Merican made...Chinese parts.

As one person commented under this article...why does HD always get a 'free pass' for their more often than not sub par engineering? Because its a American icon? Sycophant writers/reviewers.

Of course, ride whatever you please, but another failure in it's class, is still another failure in it's class.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Nobody buy motorcycles based purely on objectivity. The only thing that matters (for the makers) is if a bike sells or not.

We used to have a singer named Andre in Aus. He was definitely Other...
If you take out motorcycle gangs and ulysses club ( oldies motorcycle riders) members , how many HD's are left?

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Here, Harleys are main stream, ridden by the same kind of people riding Hondas and Yamahas. However, being mostly cruiser and touring oriented, the owners to tend to flock together more, like owners of Gold Wings. The owners most likely to point their noses to the sky are those riding BMWs in general and GSs in particular. Go to an enduro rally and the BMW riders feel ever so posh and believe everything else is second-rate.

I'm seeing more and more hipsters on Harley's. Kinda seems weird but maybe it'll throw the old school HD guys for a loop.

Archived