The MT-07 Forum

What is you favourite Yamaha 700?

faffi

Some younger members may not know about the import tariff for motorcycles 700cc or larger that Ronald Reagen instilled in the mid-80s to protect Harley Davidson (see below), but the result was that several 750s were either destroked or debored to comply with the new regulations. Hence the US market received a number of 700s unique to their market. In addition, I also included the TZ700 because, although not made for public roads, it was a production racer you could buy over the counter. 

Now I wonder which one of the Yamaha 700s appeal to you the most? Please make your vote for the bike you most want, not as an investment object you could sell to finance a bunch of other bikes ;)

U.S. RAISES TARIFF FOR MOTORCYCLES 
By CLYDE H. FARNSWORTH, Special to the New York Times
Published: April 2, 1983

WASHINGTON, April 1— In an unusually strong protectionist action, President Reagan today ordered a tenfold increase in tariffs for imported heavyweight motorycles.[span] [/span]

Without riding it my best guess would be the 700 Tracer because it would most likely be more comfortable on longer hauls and block the wind better on the highway.

Beemer

After my upgrades it's my very own MT-07. I could imagine living with a Tracer and be happy too.

The Fazer 750 (I'm from Canada, we get the real 750 bikes, lol) was a great looking bike. And the 5 valves/cylinder was something attractive and the bike's look was distinctive. Sadly, they have sell poorly. So, i rarely saw a used one. So forget to try to buy one.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

I think all the bikes using the mt07/fz07 platform have been great. I think if the xsr700 was available when i got mine i would've probably gone for it. I couldnt vote for it though, not when i already have an mt07. I'm very interested in the tracer too

Archived