The MT-07 Forum

Question about engine bolts

faffi

My bike came with crashbobbins frame sliders mounted to/with the upper front engine bolts http://crashbobbins.com/

Today, I wanted to check the torque setting after Shifther experienced them coming loose. They were torqued to maybe 4 kg (hard to determine since it takes more to get them going than the actual torque), at any case well below the 7.6 kg they should have.

Now, I also removed them and again found evidence that frequent washing will corrode hidden stuff, like bolts. Also, one of the bolts had remains of a plastic spacer that had sat in the frame - looked like most had melted away. The other side had basically nothing left of the plastic - looked more like corrosion.

How important are these spacers? I suppose the stock bolt is thicker where it goes through the frame, being turned down for the threads? As my bike is now, there is space between the frame and the bolts holding the sliders, meaning it is only held by friction.

Stock part number is 90105-12092-00

My sliders have a metal bushing inside the plastic bit. Iirc, the bolt was the same size as the OE, just longer. Can't help you with this plastic piece. Not sure, but I don't think it belongs to the bike - don't see it in the manual. 

This is what the OE bolt (plus washer)looks like. It's an M12x37x1.25. Don't have a thread pitch gauge, so not absolutely sure about the thread pitch, but that's how it measures on a rule.

looks like you have the correct bolt part number. 

IMG_1716.jpg

Thank you, that helps - the stock bolt is not shouldered enough to fit the frame tightly, meaning I can rest (and not in pieces :D )

Archived