The MT-07 Forum

Help pick right spring setup

atxjax

background info............

I weigh 170. With gear and backpack at max anytime on bike Maybe 180. I use my bike as a work commuter here in Austin Texas. With an ocassional weekend fun ride in the hill country. Roads are fairly flat. Some bumps and dips. Might maybe do some spirited driving at times but Id say about 95% of the time I am in the chicken strip.

I just bought this bike and my first ride I noticed how much the bike just went up and down with braking and any little bump. Just looking to stiffen it up.....its what im used to coming ooff my old bike FZR600.

Im thinking of going with the Sonic .85KG/mm springs and changing oil to 15W. I realize that this is only a 80% solution but for my style of driving would be suitable and within my budget. I can do the work myself. On the rear I can set the shock to 5 and see how that feels.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

The stock front spring rate is supposedly 0.87 kg/mm. I suggest you read through this thread before committing to those sonic springs:

https://fz07.org/thread/4893/spring-rate

This is quite a heavy spring for this application. The issues lie with the stock damper units, not something that heavier springs can mask without causing other issues (depending on rider weight). It may be beneficial to try heavier fork oil before you change the standard springs, some forum members have had success with this.

Hmm OK. I thought that they were .72 or something like that from what I read on a different thread. Glad you informed me that thread was wrong. 

So maybe go up to a 1.0KG/MM spring and use 15W oil 

• Premium Member

look into Forks By Matt DIY kits, stock springs are good for your weight...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

They feel too soft to me. Im trying to keep this under $125

• Premium Member
They feel too soft to me. Im trying to keep this under $125

Have you measured your front sag with you on the bike? This will confirm whether your spring rate is acceptable.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 1 year later...

RaceTech updated their web site: http://www.racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Yamaha/FZ-07/2015-17

They now say:

"Stock Fork Spring Rate:0.88 kg/mm (stock)

Comments: First Year 2015 FZ-07/MT-07 Models may have lighter .75kg Rate Fork Springs"

I know can be difficult to distinguish soft springs from soft dampening. As soft as my 2015 front-end is, my static sag is only about an inch and all the spring-rate calculators I've used say I should be using 0.9 kg/mm so my stock springs are probably correct while it's just that my fork oil is way too thin (5wt should be 15wt).

Putting in 0.8 kg/mm springs would likely make your front-end dive WORSE unless your sag is too small as it is (would call for lighter springs) and you also put in 15wt oil to stiffen the dampening.

I was tortured by the Japanese during the war, Jack. Not a pretty story. Strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras.

Archived